🚀 Crowdfunding graveyard ⚰️

Thanks, that’s perfect.

Unity Brewing Co has entered liquidation as of Monday 13th February

Akewatu has entered administration just four months after raising on Crowdcube, allegedly after a EUR400k loan approval was pulled at the last moment due to deteriorating economic environment. Looking for a buyer, per CC.

Also, not mentioned here at the time, The Vegan Kind entered administration in October 2022. Covid business boom led to (Seedrs funded) expansion, post-pandemic sales returned to lower levels. Kaboom.

Interestingly, the founders/management sold out to the majority investor in June 2022 and were replaced by new management. When the administration happened, some Seedrs investors noted that tag-along rights had not been respected when the founders sold out (Seedrs investors should have been offered the rights to sell at the same share price of 26p).

The end result being that the founders paid out GBP100k to Seedrs investors from their own pocket (26p per share), representing a 13% return for 2020 investors and an 8% return for 2021/2022 investors.
They blamed legal advisors to the transaction for missing the clause, so perhaps they will look to recoup the value from them.

3 Likes

Who thinks that Oddbox is the next startup to fail ?

1 Like

It sounded as if it was doing well, but as soon as I saw the current funding round was a convertible, I assumed otherwise.

I don’t even think it is an EIS, so not interested whatsoever. They have raised some serious £££ though!

I do not think they are going bust. They have over £30m of annual revenues and the annual loss is around £2m-£3m.
Anyway the market is getting more competitive and in a hard recession a £16 box with 8 veg would seems a luxury to a lot of people

1 Like

Another one bites the dust!
BEDLAM BREWERY LIMITED entered into administration on 17 February 202.

3 Likes

It’s impressive that they could keep this secret under wraps for so long.

2 Likes

So the Patch Plants sale to Arena Flowers appears to see investors lose most of their investment with valuation of the new shares being about 9% of the original investment….Shocking lack of transparency from the leadership at Patch Plants who never indicated that the sale was at a loss.

6 Likes

Big moves happening with the board at ISO spaces… What is going on there, anyone know?

I’m staying away from crowdfunding these days,far too many dodgy companies raising at this moment

5 Likes

My hope is ‘chip’. I might win 10,000 from the prize account.

It’s pretty disgraceful how Patch have conducted themselves with Crowdcube investors.

1 Like

Crowdcube do not bother to reply to any of my emails anymore, I’m blacklisted it appears?! Does anyone else have success with replies to their queries?

They used to send an auto reply and then someone from their team would be helpful but no longer. As their fees include ongoing support, I’ve had to lodge a complaint - and they have breached regulatory lead times / FOS requirements by not acknowledging and upholding/rejecting within the required times…

This doesn’t bode well with Crowdcube for me when it appears they have stripped their support team away as well! They are also a company that at last count were not making a profit. Hopefully, they remain financially solvent.

1 Like

sorry to hear about your issues with their ongoing support…Crowdfunder which are the main Crowdcube company, gave a bullish update recently…so they appear to be alright… :thinking:

Another one gone:At Pizza Ltd

1.2million convertible round has disappeared

Shareholder update email:
with deepest regret and sadness that we have to announce that At Pizza Ltd has entered into a liquidation process.

At Pizza Ltd managed to open its third restaurant on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh in May 2021 with the investment it raised in September 2020. However, the prolonged nature of the pandemic post this fundraise meant the other sites that At Pizza had identified to open were cancelled, with At Pizza preferring instead to focus on survival to economic recovery. As a result, this does mean that At Pizza is currently sub-optimal from a number of sites perspective. Unfortunately, with all the headwinds facing the business in the last 3 years to date, At Pizza has made significant losses and survival has proven not to be possible.

Thank you for all the support, faith and trust you had in our brand. We fought hard right to the end but sadly we just can’t go on.

Yours,
Rupert & Bhasker, Founders

1 Like

So many sad stories on here about retail investors losing their :moneybag:. Investing in start ups is soooo risky.

3 Likes

Why does a pizza place need £1.2M? Plenty of local pizza places started on a shoestring…

5 Likes