Crowdfunding round seven, Wed 24th Nov 2021 šŸŽ‰

Hi guys,

I am a previous investor, so is the process I just get em email some time shortly before 10 a.m. to access the crowdfund?

Has any previous investors already received information by email?

Agreed, I think this is a huge achievement and assuming the round fills this is very cheap capital for FT to grow, I think people got a bit carried away with the huge growth in signups.

Even if this capital just went into acquiring SIPPs (via free share promotions) they could probably add Ā£4bn in assets & Ā£20m in revenue with that, although Iā€™m sure they have more effective uses in Europe.

5 Likes

@adam @Viktor please please can someone update capdesk tomorrow with the new share price? Please?

3 Likes

Surprised by how low the valuation is , given that Trade republic raised at $5bn - I have no idea what the VCs saw in them to justify such a premium (all we know about them is they had ~1m customers and ~6bn EUR in AUA at the time), but itā€™s safe to say that valuation was an outlier;

Interactive investor got acquired for Ā£1.5bn with Ā£133m in revenue (AND ~Ā£40m in profit), Ā£55bn+ AUA, 400k+ active users - they are also growing fairly fast (but not as fast as FT) at around 40% YoY (revenue, profits, users, etc). Thereā€™s also DEGIRO, who were acquired for ~250m EUR (IIRC) with ~500k users.

So yeah, on reflection, imo it would have been irrational for FT to ever fetch more than Ā£1.5bn. Hell, even Ā£650m is probably a bit steep (30x revenue multiple on their run rate), but when accounting for the growth, itā€™s a bit more palatable. I was so sure that the valuation was going to be ridiculous that iā€™d written it off, but will definitely consider it now.

5 Likes

Absolutely. The product still has rough edges and lacks some basic elements but there is a clear route to profitability and heaps of untapped potential. I think they will ultimately need to widen their demographic and find ways to attract older investors with larger amounts to invest to deserve a seat at the top table but amazing to reflect on how far they have come.

2 Likes

I agree that having experienced investors onboard will be a massive boon to the business, but itā€™s going to be a hard sell without refactoring the app/service offerings and marketing angle.

At least currently, Freetradeā€™s whole mantra is around ā€œget everybody investing.ā€ Itā€™s pretty transparent that the strategy is to swim in the blue ocean, attracting millennials/zoomers who arenā€™t currently investing. In which case, encouraging these new investors to begin investing increasingly larger amounts of their income on a regular basis may be a lower hanging fruit.

3 Likes

Struggling to find the words to describe how disappointed I am by that valuationā€¦however ā€˜Freetrade is worth less than what Trade Republic raised earlier in the yearā€™ comes close :sweat_smile:

Whatā€™s equally worrying is the information Adam shared:

• 550,000 dud accounts
  • Significantly missing revenue targets
6 Likes

FT proving its product market fit and great engagement metrics is what we should be celebrating vs criticising low valuation. Ā£650m pre money with Ā£25m revenue run rate is by no means low. It will fetch Ā£ unicorn status by April - May 100%. FT reached Ā£25m runrate revenues vs Ā£1.7 actuals it reported in September 2020. Retention rate of 90%.

Letā€™s wish them a crushing crowdfunding tomorrow.

Well done Adam, Viktor and team!

5 Likes

Circa5000 an Fintech are raising in crowdcube right now and claim to be in the top 10% for customer retention with 59% after 12 months. Given the 1,100,000 user has been built over many years this would seem to be in a similar retention.

2 Likes

Where did you get the number of dud accounts from?

1 Like

I think heā€™s referring to that Freetrade has over 1million accounts but only 500k are active (as shared by Dodds on Twitter). So therefore 550k must be duds?

6 Likes

Also, the average pot being so low means there must be a huge amount of dud accounts as discussed many times on these threads. Still canā€™t wait to buy though :stuck_out_tongue:

I see people mention it took mins before to sell out does anyone know if that means people like me wonā€™t get an opportunity at 11am?

1 Like

It took minutes to crash crowdcube :joy:

No there were shares available for several days each time, they had to change rounds midway through last time which was confusing.

1 Like

AH, excellent :+1: I wonā€™t be leaving my laptop until I am on the list but was dreading 11am coming and I couldnā€™t get any. :rofl:

We all know why the Ā£650m valuation - because there is a VC sniffing about who has promised big money but doesnā€™t want to buy in at a high price, so let the ā€˜peopleā€™ have their little crowdfund because thatā€™s what was promised but keep the price down, itā€™s only Ā£13m after all so not a significant dilution.

So Iā€™m fantasising a VC raise within the next 6 months at a Ā£1b valuation :wink:

17 Likes

Iā€™ve been saying a VC round is coming, to break Europe will be big money.

Whoā€™s tracking @adam & his private jet :joy:

4 Likes

This is getting expensive leaving the Crowdcube page open as I already bought 2 other stocks whilst flicking through the site :rofl: :rofl: (Circa5000 and ID finance for those interested)

5 Likes

I did ID Finance last time - theyā€™re an example of incredible communication. You get monthly updates with mean full content, while others you never hear from again!

7 Likes

Gotta love how Freetrade is front and centre on Crowdcubeā€™s landing page. With Monzo, Moneybox and Chip off to the sideā€¦ :sob:

5 Likes

Has this been posted? Please remove this post if this is supposed to be private (itā€™s public on Vimeo).

9 Likes