Declaring Capital Gains and Dividend Tax

(Akash) #1

If we have a small capital gain and dividend income which is less than the personal allowance of the person, do we still need to inform the HMRC by filling some Self assessment e.t.c ?

Or we need to declare the dividend and capital gain in all cases ?

1 Like
(Mark L) #2


Will be interested in the reply.

(Chris) #3

You have a dividend income allowance of 2k per tax year and a capital gains allowance of 11.5k per tax year.

Above this you are obligated to inform HMRC. Below this, you have no obligation to inform them.

(Vladislav Kozub) #4

£12,000 as of this April 2019 :slight_smile:

Also, if you dispose of assets x4 of your CGT, you need to report it regardless of whether you made a profit or not if you are registered for self-assessment. That is £48,000 in one year.

(Chris) #5

Probably better marking @Vlad answer as the solution - it’s more thorough