☑ Default trade set to basic

I know there is a thread discussing which trade type to make default, but as we are now voting I wanted this thread to be explicitly for BASIC trade as default.

Get voting folks.

Are the team going to revisit this? Vote-wise, we’re overwhelmingly in favor of the default being basic.

Why is it instant anyway? I thought the Freetrade ethos was to encourage long term investment. And without real-time pricing, instant is a bit dangerous for day-traders in any case.

3 Likes

Yes we will but we’ll review it as part of a bigger piece of work to redesign the design of the order pages so we probably won’t be changing it in the near future.

4 Likes

Having the drop down stay as the last used order type appears the most sensible solution to me, that way everyone gets what they want.

9 Likes

Surely this makes the most sense:

Simply store the last option used locally on the client side :sweat_smile:. This would be the quickest fix and give the best of both worlds for everyone.

What do you think? :thinking:

16 Likes

Yeah this seems a little bit of a naughty trick.

I’ve now accidentally paid for instant 3 times now.

Very bad UX.

Otherwise, pretty good.

2 Likes

I would prefer an option to set a preference in your account profile for either basic or instant trade to be your personal default

3 Likes

I agree it does not seem to fit with the ethos that Freetrade as a organisation are trying to portray.

Just sold two shares I bought when I first downloaded the app

Only spent about £2 in total. They were down 20/30% so decided to sell

Annoyingly I rushed through selling and selected instant for both sales :man_facepalming:

+1 for default as basic

4 Likes

Current setup has been associated with being a ‘dark pattern’ on the Monzo forum topic:

Remember @Freetrade_Team_Design delivered a presentation highlighting ‘dark patterns’ of competitors, so it’d be ideal to resolve this one.

1 Like

Is it a dark pattern? When you check before you confirm the order it’s clear

How many times has it caught you out?

1 Like

It hasn’t caught me out at all, but this is irrelevant because it has caught others out. Scroll up :roll_eyes:

I think it is and I am giving constructive feedback, so relax.

4 Likes

As a relative mid level investor it definitely stands out every time I go to make a purchase… Don’t get me wrong I understand why but the fact that so many people have been caught out by it at least once does suggest it could become an issue… It’s probably very hard to tell but I wonder if/how many people have decided to stop using Freetrade after getting caught out and paying the fee… Probably small but for the sake of transparency I think it should switch to be free by default… After all the name is Freetrade… Not £1trade (unless you remember to switch to free)

3 Likes

I think it’s a design choice, and not one I like, but dark pattern is taking it too far

2 Likes

In terms of the definition… It is dark pattern… Is it the worst thing in the world… Of course not and I really do understand why it would have been set up this way to help generate some revenue in the early days of the app… But i think its time to change… Enough of the community have voted and it really isn’t a significant dev change… It’s the right thing to do at this point i think…

4 Likes

If there wasn’t a subsequent confirmation screen where it’s clearly shown I’d agree 100%. Dark patterns tend to be more subtle imo

As some people do want instant trades I’d suggest it’s left blank so that the user has to actively choose

I think either default to free and allow it to be changed to £1 for instant trades… Or remember the last used option

Last used option I think would be worse. If you always do basic and then as a one off you did an instant it would be more likely you’d assume it was basic the next time.

Or that’s possibly just me :grin:

1 Like

To be honest, I like instant one so it is a matter of personal choice. If you really want a voting then please do a voting with both the option basic vs instant to see a clear picture.

1 Like

There is one already

2 Likes