Deliveroo - ROO - Share Chat

No, the list is much longer.

1 Like

Is Hargreaves Lansdown a PB broker? Thanks

1 Like

They absolutely are. Iā€™ve already had a message from them regarding this and the PB transfer of shares to my account. So Iā€™m pretty confident that if Iā€™m granted some on the 31st, itā€™ll go smoothly when theyā€™re transferred around a week after that.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Totally agree, I think the catalyst of:

• negative sentiment towards highly overinflated growth stocks
  • rapid move towards reopening of restaurants
  • increased awareness of Esg investing and worker rights

Will weigh very heavily on Deliveroo, I wouldnā€™t touch this IPO with a barge pole.

10 Likes

Deliveroo is undervalued compared to JustEat, it is likely to catch up with JustEat valuation quite quickly which would be a 10% jump:

Last day to register for the IPO; still undecided :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like
4 Likes

I saw that earlier; like many, Iā€™ve been reading most of the stories about it all today. Weā€™ll know if itā€™s too expensive tomorrow, I suppose. I donā€™t intend on holding them long-term, but Iā€™ll await with interest to see how much of my application Iā€™m allocated.

Deliveroo tumbles 30% in London debut - ouch

8 Likes

Was always going to happen. Feel sorry for all the people who got in on primarybid off the back of the Deliveroo emails

6 Likes

Thereā€™s a reason why they kept spamming us with those emailsā€¦!

5 Likes

Aye and that is when I decided not to enter :slight_smile: and also the hypeā€¦

I donā€™t feel sorry for me. Itā€™s only a few hundred pounds and ROO is unlikely to reach zero anytime soon. Iā€™ve just had my email from PB confirming my allocation. Weā€™ll see how things stand on the 7th, when unconditional trading is due to begin.

Every trade is a gamble. Sometimes you win.

5 Likes

I know , right? I downloaded the app only to participate in the Primary Bid offer, but when I saw they wanted me to place a food order before registering for the IPO, I refused. Iā€™m glad now! :grin:

2 Likes

Yep, really sorry for retail, I personally think there should be some litigation for their spam.

The world, including investors are starting to realise how financially (and morally) bankrupt these gig economy models really are.

Hey, at least Amazon and other early investors have passed the bags!

1 Like

While Iā€™m not an expert in the industry, I feel thereā€™s no morality issue here. I also feel things are different to Uber, as a taxi service isnā€™t the same as food delivery. I donā€™t believe the Uber case impacts the Uber Eats division, for example. I mention that, as not all gig economy jobs are the same.

In terms of food delivery/takeaway, there are times when demand is high and times when demand is low. Companies like ROO could pay a fixed wage and employ riders/delivery people when demand was high. However, theyā€™d likely set their hours for only those periods. I imagine that some value the flexibility and would dislike this.

The horror stories of Ā£2 an hour are as questionable to me as the Ā£13 an hour Deliveroo claims. Realistically, you cannot create demand, so your hourly wage should only be judged on what you earn while working, not averaged out to include the hours when thereā€™s no demand.

Though the Uber case isnā€™t a direct parallel, I think itā€™s an interesting comparison. I donā€™t think everything will suddenly be easy and perfect for those classed as employees. Yes, theyā€™re going to get benefits, but you canā€™t create demand as some claim. Someone I heard on a news report claimed they should be able to get paid for working whenever they want, as at Starbucks - for example - theyā€™d get paid when the shop/cafe is open. While thatā€™s true, a Starbucks outlet wonā€™t be open at 04:00 if thereā€™s no demand. I think people who believe they can make themselves available in the app at midnight on a Tuesday and get paid for doing nothing are going to be in for a shock.

Many may feel exploited by companies like these, but many also likely value the flexibility to work only when they want to work. Either way, I think itā€™s wrong of us to pass judgement when we donā€™t have first hand experience of both being a gig worker and any real insider knowledge of how the companies work.

5 Likes

Next it will be cashiers in Tesco only getting paid when they serve a customer!
I think the entire system for Deliveroo is flawed, from a known first hand experience of a delivery guy. I got charged Ā£3.99 for delivery, extortionate enough, and then an additional 50p service charge. My friend working at the time received Ā£2.40 for the delivery. I donā€™t know how Deliveroo are not profitable when Ā£2.09 has vanished from this single transaction.
I donā€™t know the internals of it all, granted, but sings seriously wrong to me!

6 Likes

Lest not forget the decent % they charge the restaurants - Iā€™ve heard anything up to 30%

They should have been printing money with us all stuck in our houses

3 Likes

This is now live on your app.

Do read the ā€˜Aboutā€™ section for some more info on conditional trading.

8 Likes