Deliveroo - ROO - Share Chat

Is there a reason the app isn’t showing any stamp duty charges when buying this stock? Is it related to the conditional trading period?

exactly this. I just tested with an identical subway order, £12 on deliveroo £8.50 on justeat. This is the reason I have never once used deliveroo.

2 Likes

This appears to have updated since I posted and is now showing as charging stamp duty :thinking:

Looks like a possible oversight on FT’s part when listing the stock for sale in the app. I’m interested to understand what happens now for those who purchased stock before this issue was rectified - will FT retroactively charge the missing stamp duty, or will they absorb it themselves?

2 Likes

We’ll be in touch shortly with those customers impacted.

Deliveroo can charge retailers up to 30%

I won’t be buying deliveroo either way but I’ve always got the sense that they do actually make money (turnover not profit) by charging high fees while Uber and Just Eat burn money with offers and discounts. Best of a bad bunch but they might eventually stumble on a sustainable model rather than just hype. Still a no from me, no moat, restaurants are already cutting them out.

2 Likes

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

I did query this on the live chat 3 hours ago too but it doesn’t even look like my message has been seen by an agent yet (I’m a Plus subscriber too so supposed to receive priority support)…

1 Like

Remember when people used to call the takeaway restaurant for their order? Or even go to the establishment to collect!
Restaurants want a return to the old ways, many are now getting their own websites and sending out promotions pushing people there instead of these apps.

If people move as the restaurants want companies like these are in trouble. If people dont move, and honestly I can’t see enough of them removing the app, then restaurants may start increasing prices.

For me the ideal set up is restaurants offer a reduced price if you go to them direct. But they dont,so people wont

4 Likes

Something I won’t be investing in. Its not even available in an ISA

2 Likes

I guess that works if you live in a city and/or carry around one of those bags that keep the food warm

From 7th April (I think) it’ll be ISA eligible

2 Likes

I think usually companies like Deliveroo require the restaurant to give them a fixed fee per order to even be listed at all, which is why they want customers to come direct. But many restaurants see such a massive proportion of their business come from Deliveroo that they can’t really say no to it.

2 Likes

If you scroll down to see the information about the stock, it details that it’s currently in the conditional trading phase of the IPO. The implication of this is that it isn’t available to tax-friendly saving schemes like ISA’s.

Assuming they don’t cancel the IPO, it’ll be available from the 7th April.

6 Likes

Pretty much the same situation with JustEat. I see lots of posts flaring up on FaceBook etc from restaurants and take aways annoyed that they’re paying as high as 20% of their margins (if I understood them right) to JustEat. Some of them have made their own apps, where they charge the same delivery fees (excuse me?) and others are trying to do Facebook business pages, which I think tells you everything about the demographic; the Business owners are boomers, the people ordering food from apps and stuff are youngsters. Big mismatch from the business owners as to their target market… (and beside, the older generation are still stuck with phoning in for orders in my experience)

It is interesting to see because the pandemic has made a lot of places realise their crappy websites (if they have one) needs updating, but many don’t have a website or don’t want to invest in some tech savvy person to maintain it. Honestly rural Wales is downright 1980’s at times…

So in the end, the apps like JustEat win because they’re £2-5 delivery fees and they’re accessible and save you the faff of phoning people. Deliveroo isn’t available in my area, too old fashioned you see, but UberEats have tried to move in and they’re so damn expensive it is cheaper to just use JustEat, or to go pick it up yourself. I think an £8 McDonalds App meal is like £15 on UberEats.

Yeah, sod them, they’re only really going to cater to drunk people or those with enough disposable income to waste on an overpriced meal if you ask me. (Which you didn’t. :P)

4 Likes

I lived in a house of 6 in London last year. I reckon there were at least 5, maybe up to 10 deliveroo/uber eats/happy panda deliveries per day to our house. And in that whole year, I never used any of them once, because we lived less than 5 minutes walk from all of the restaurants anyway.

But yeah, they were all at least 10 years younger than me and far too lazy to walk for food if it was just a click away!

5 Likes

However, I book my restaurant pickups through these apps as well, so winwin for Deliveroo and Ubereats.

They should call it Deliverdont.

2 Likes

Or Pickupoo.

5 Likes

After this week’s IPO performance, maybe Deliverout is more apt?!

3 Likes

The worst first-day performance for a London IPO above £1bn on record lol

They should have floated on a different exchange :woozy_face:

2 Likes