Disney - DIS - Share Chat

The key to success at Disney from my point view is the acquisition of several movie studios from Marvel to Lucas to Pixar. Little from other areas.

What’s next to buy out there? Will the new CEO be as smart as Bob Iger was in buying great things cheap?

1 Like

I just want to know if it has all The Simpsons episodes on it!

1 Like

Listening to the Motley Fool money podcast and they’ve said that even though Bob Iger has stepped down from his CEO role, he has retained a position in overseeing the roll out of Disney + and also the future content they plan to add to it.

As a shareholder and someone who is massively long on Disney this is brilliant news.

3 Likes

Their cash flow will be under pressure this year. Then there’s the debt to repay…

But Disney+ is still a nascent, money-losing product and its growth may not be enough to offset losses elsewhere. Together, the company’s theme parks and studio divisions made up a bit more than half its $70 billion revenue for the fiscal year ending September. Three months of no public gatherings could therefore put some $10 billion of the top line at risk. That’s before considering lost ESPN revenue – or a longer period of coronavirus lockdown.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disney-breakingvie/breakingviews-disney-business-risks-getting-frozen-idUSKBN2133S4

They are apparently!!

1 Like

Apple to buy Disney and add it to their services division as they try to offset slowing sales in hardware.

/nostradamusprophecies

Wonder if they’ve fixed the aspect ratio for the Simpsons. 4:3 should be the default one.

1 Like

Goodbye, cinemas

Meanwhile, the new Sonic film will be on sale digitally from 31 March.

Universal has offered up The Invisible Man, The Hunt, Emma., and Trolls World Tour for 48-hour rentals. In that instance, early access comes at a higher-than-usual $20 rental price.

1 Like

I posted on the mega thread but I bought some shares in Disney yesterday, expecting Disney+ to be a big success due to coronavirus.

I read recently they had 28M Disney+ subscribers. With the EU release next week 50M seems a realistic target.

They were meant to be launching in India next week as well…but they cancelled it as the cricket season has been postponed which seems illogical to me!

1 Like

There’s an elephant in the room, however, and it’s the availability of various mediums through which people all over the world have been able to stream and download their favourite shows. “Cheaply”.

These folks have already seen the hit show despite it not being made available yet here:

March 21 (Reuters) - The launch of Walt Disney’s streaming services in France will be delayed by two weeks at the request of the French government, Variety reported on Saturday.

The report cited a statement from Kevin Mayer, head of Disney’s Direct-to-consumer and International business. Disney officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Disney+ is set to launch in the UK and most major European markets on March 24, but European subscribers will receive temporarily degraded video quality, the report said.

Cough bittorrent cough

I don’t think that will have a huge impact on overall subscribers but I might be wrong!

• launched and went straight to No1:

1 Like

Nice jump in price, glad I bought when I did.

2 Likes

Everything is up today.

1 Like

IMG_20200324_174513

2 Likes

Does anybody know how much % of Disney is impacted physically by the virus such as movies and parks, and how much will actually benefit such as online streaming?

This is the 2019 revenue breakdown

Thanks! Large part is offline it looks. I might just stay away for now.

Got to remember Disney+ wasn’t launched then.

It’s now launched at accidentally the most opportune time ever. Meaning it will somewhat supplement existing revenue, before becoming new revenue in the future as everything reopens.

4 Likes