Do I need a investment ISA now?

I am a beginner and want to invest long term but with a small amount of money. I did some research on this topic but still donā€™t get it. I know there is no way I could put Ā£20000 into the ISA this year for example so if this year I only put in Ā£5000, could I put in Ā£15000 next year? Is this the right place to start now for investing for 10+ years? Do I need to open another investment ISA with Free trade if I actually exceeded the Ā£20000 allowence in one year or does it add another Ā£20000 on it? With the basic account, if I am close to earning Ā£12000 in capital gains and Ā£2000 in dividend to start paying capital gain tax, could I just sell it all out so I donā€™t need to pay and start all over again? Do Freetrade move stocks over to basic to ISA or Ida to basic?

1 Like

I only have time for a quick answer right now but we wrote a post recently to try to answer this. I hope that helps!

Theoretically I suppose so but why would you do that to yourself? Sounds like a world of pain and looking at spreadsheets to predict dividend returns

Ā£20,000 is the allocation per year. Only 1 per year is allowed and unused allocation doesnā€™t carry forward

You can add a max of Ā£20k each tax year to your ISAs (across all types and accounts), but keep everything from prior years. You can keep the same S&S ISA account with a particular company like Freetrade open indefinitely. You can only add new money to 1 S&S ISA account per tax year.

When youā€™re close to needing to pay tax, you can sell everything and repurchase within a new S&S ISA account. Freetrade do not currently automate this process for you, but may in the future. Once youā€™re at this point, itā€™s unlikely youā€™ll want to switch back to the basic account, unless you are actually ā€œpermanentlyā€ selling all your investments because you need the cash.

Capital Gains only applies when you sell and actually get the gain. If you want to avoid it it you wouldnā€™t sell enough to make that much profit in one year. If you sold everything and made a gain it would count towards your CGT allowance for the year and any further gains the same year that put you over the allowance would be taxed.

2 Likes