Do you / will you use ISAs?

:point_up_2:Josh mentions heā€™s focusing on ISAā€™s. Also James shared a screenshot and thereā€™s been other mentions so maybe itā€™ll be sooner than the end of Q1 19.

5 Likes

Not for now at least as Iā€™m still in a promotional period with Nutmeg where I should get around Ā£100-150ish after having an S&S ISA with them for a year (canā€™t remember exact amount). Once Iā€™ve pocketed that then Iā€™ll re-consider.

1 Like

Is there a plan for JISAs as well?

Other platforms let you pay ISA fees from your general investment account. Will Freetrade offer the same eventually (when they let you have more than 1 account type at the same time)? This is important so that you can actually invest the max on your ISA, and not waste some of your allowance on fees.

2 Likes

Freetradeā€™s Head of Finance mentioned JISA before:

2 Likes

Iā€™m really interested in this as well. It would be great to pay the fees by direct debit or from gia rather than using the allowance on fees

Weā€™re working on a few solutions to this at the moment, and will announce more in due course. But we recognise the benefit of not taking it from your ISA, so are working towards a solution that achieves just that

5 Likes

Would you not just top up gross of fees? Thats fairly common practice with asset managers and IFAs

With my current ISA providers, I just ensure that there is a minimum cash amount available in the ISA account to pay for the fees.

If there is no cash there, the provider is entitled to sell some of my stocks to cover the fees and as they are not fee-free, this is an extra cost to me.

It will be interesting to see what solution Freetrade have for this.

1 Like

Not sure if I understood your question correctly, but the issue is when youā€™re at the limit allowed by the ISA. You canā€™t add more money to pay for fees, so some of the money you could have invested will be spent on fees instead.

To get around this, other providers let you pay fees from a different account.

You can subscribe more than the ISA amount so long as by the end of the tax year fees are taken from the ISA (this is the case with upfront fees anyway).

Do you have a source that explains this? My reading of the plain English rules suggests that if you withdraw (to pay a fee), you canā€™t put that money back, unless itā€™s a flexible ISA. (I read that Freetradeā€™s initial offering will not be flexible).

Even if it was flexible Iā€™m still not entirely sure how fees are regarded. I believe that companies that have flexible ISAs recommend having the separate account for fees, so I assume thereā€™s still some kind of issue.

I donā€™t believe this is correct - you can only pay Ā£20k max into an ISA in this tax year. You canā€™t top this up to account for the fees.

The question for Freetrade to answer is whether they will take the fees from the ISA account or from another account.

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy if they just took the fee(s) monthly from the linked bank account - perhaps this is an option? Would require a direct debit or the promised open banking integration I guess. Same problems will apply to Alpha when that comes out, and I guess trading fees too - in theory itā€™d be best if all of those were not taken direct from the ISA, for people who max out their contributions. For people who donā€™t max out their ISA contributions, it doesnā€™t really matter.

4 Likes

It is certainly possible to contribute more than Ā£20k to an ISA. You are not meant to and you get hit with a tax charge, but there is nothing that physically limits you (Freetrade could do this however).
If I contributed to a Freetrade ISA with Ā£20,036 lump sum, and by the end of the tax year the Ā£36 had been taken as fees, I would have contributed Ā£20,000 to my isa that tax year. From HMRC perspective that is fair and wouldnā€™t be a tax charge. I assume my Ā£36 will have to sit as cash within the account or in a sub account.

I donā€™t know if Freetrade will actually do/allow this, but it is possible.

As I linked to, according to HMRC this is simply against their rules. They wouldnā€™t consider it ā€œfairā€. Some platforms might not enforce the limit, leaving it up to you to do it correctly, but when I and most people say something like ā€œyou canā€™tā€, the implication is ā€œif you want to follow the rules and avoid penaltiesā€. We donā€™t mean itā€™s literally impossible.

Itā€™s always possible to lie to HMRC, to try and cheat and use some loophole, but thatā€™s hardly something that should be advocated here.

If you do alpha at Ā£100 a year or Ā£30/Ā£36 for the ISA then thatā€™s such a tiny % of a total Ā£20,000 does it make a huge difference?

I know someone will answer using the word compoundingā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s certainly possible, only in so far that thereā€™s nothing to stop you from putting in more, unless there are limits in place for the platform. And this doesnā€™t even account for people who contribute both to a cash ISA and a S&S ISA.

However, imagine if I had enough money to invest double, ie Ā£40k into my ISA.

I then withdraw Ā£20k by the end of the tax year, but my ISA will have benefitted from Ā£40kā€™s worth of dividends, investment growth. I really canā€™t see HMRC thinking this would be ok to do otherwise everyone who could afford it wouuld be doing it!

Perhaps I havenā€™t explained myself well enough.

Firstly, let me make it explicit - I am not saying cheat HMRC. That is a very bad idea!

What is possible is to add funds to an ISA, to have the fees taken from your contributions before they enter the ISA wrapper, and to then have the net amount enter the ISA wrapper. You send your max contribution + the fees, the fees are taken, the max contribution enters the ISA wrapper.

Does that make more sense to you?

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense, but in practice how do platforms make this clear? Or how do you tell a platform ā€œdonā€™t put this amount into the ISA wrapper, use it for feesā€?

Iā€™d prefer the clarity of a separate account, or perhaps better yet, your fees are simply charged separately with an invoice (pay with your credit card) or direct debit (from your bank account).

I can only imagine, based on the screenshots, that for Freetrade we will pay the fees upfront with a card or DD before even getting access to the ISA account, and then the only money you transfer to that account is for investment purposes.

1 Like

Honestly I donā€™t know how or if this is disclosed/used with other platforms. I donā€™t actually know who does or doesnā€™t do this.

I work within a wealth management firm and that is how we do it, itā€™s disclosed in the fine print we give to clients.

Canā€™t speak on behalf of others!