[Feature Request 🔧] Multi-currency accounts 💵 💷

Currency pots like competitors! Wicked. Seconded by me.

1 Like

I agree with the above. I’ve resorted to using eToro for all USD shares because of this issue. It is not competitive for Freetrade to be making 0.45% on every transaction this way.

3 Likes

These ideas are great but always seem to mean reducing the £ made by FreeTrade :+1: I would like this option but it would be a huge loss to the economic plan of the business. If FT did this then they would need to move costs elsewhere and we would be outraged at costs like Etoro

eToro makes money in 3 ways. First, they are a market maker broker with an STP- NDD hybrid model. They make money from losing trades though they balance it to ensure no conflict and are also routinely audited to ensure fairness. Secondly, through commissions and fees when you trade CFDs. Finally, they can also earn from non-trading fees like a $5 withdrawal fee and inactivity fees.

At the end of the day the simplicity of FT is what is attractive to many and why would they invent a whole new financial pool and the associated costs which actually reduced their earnings? Wouldn’t be a very clever business plan :joy: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

No point being called “freetrade” if its not FREE to TRADE. They could take a % fee of USD holdings as an account admin fee instead of % per transaction.

1 Like

As a newbi I’ve just started with an isa using my full allowance. I don’t fully understand this Fx fee relative to my investing. For arguments sake if I invested all my allowance in American stock what would be the fee? Is that a fee on buying and selling? How would currency exchange rates effect this?

1 Like

As far as I understand it, lets say you place an order for £20K of Tesla (just an example, definitely not advice!)
0.45% of that is £90 going to Freetrade.
The remaining £19910 goes into dollars, currently around $1.39/£ so $27674.9
This then buys you 37.5 shares (currently $738 each).
As the exchange rate varies so will the £ value of your investment.
You would need to be up by £180 to cover the fx fee and break even.

3 Likes

Ah OK so besides the fee the cost of stock is very sensitive to currency exchange rates!
Just tying to get my head around this at the moment.
Thanks for a good explanation @Jubatus

1 Like

HMRC only allows Pound Sterling in ISAs if memory serves.

If I understand correctly, this could be done on GIAs only.

Not sure on SIPPs.

2 Likes

You would not be able to hold foreign currency inside a uk isa. If the trade is not a stock listed in gbp inside the isa, then the fx trade would have to be done instantly on purchase or sale.

For what you are suggesting by holding foreign currency, you would possibly need to trade using a general investment account and this would open you up to capital gains taxes and other accounting needs.

There are hedged etf’s in gbp.

It sounds like you may have to get financial advice from a professional regarding investing through a limited company.

She didn’t mention a ltd company, did she? Nor did she mention an ISA. I’m confused.

1 Like

I think a comment has been deleted. I too am confused as to why you are confused.

2 Likes

Now I am more confused. Luckily it’s Friday and the weekend is here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoy your multi currency account when you’re trying to work out your tax because they have no ISA.

Freetrade have never shared this information to my knowledge.

You can’t have a multi currency ISA though. It’s against the rules

I do need an ISA, If I sold everything in my ISA in the same year I’d be over the CGT limit (based on current gain). also I’m over the annual dividend allowance. I suspect my portfolio is a bit bigger than average, but It’s definitely not the biggest

5 Likes

Multi currency accounts are round the corner since Euro accounts are needed for the EU rollout. Just wait and see.

1 Like

Maybe they will be on the way but the ISA would be ringfenced from it similar to some stocks are which is what @Dave was saying.

I do think @WolfofWS is correct though as the average FT member probably joined for a free share after hearing some social media type and doesn’t invest enough to be hit by taxes. Or they haven’t thought long term when they might regret not having put it in an ISA.

2 Likes

Please stop your F.U.D.

I work in different currencies with many other items. e.g expenses,travel,suppliers billing in gbp+eur, and my own invoices are in eur and gbp: Tax returns are not a problem

Many compromises were suggested in other multi currency threads that let them make keep the fees. Afterall, ee want FT to report good revenue and earnings :wink:

Not everything you disagree with is FUD, please stop turning a difference of option into a boring meme.

I am not wrong when I said that working out your tax in a foreign currency would be tricky. Not impossible but tricky