[Feature Request šŸ”§] Multiple Portfolios

Is there any restriction on having multiple accounts?

I donā€™t mean having and ISA and a basic account, I mean a completely separate sign-up?

Of course there will be restrictions, I wonā€™t be able to have 2 ISA accounts for example.

I contemplate creating a totally separate account to meet my different investment needs, e.g. I might have my ā€˜seriousā€™ account and then another ā€˜playā€™ account.

Sounds like the idea for pots or investment buckets would work well for thisā€¦

3 Likes

Come on Stephen.
Keep all your investments serious and get your money compounding :wink:
This is your future ! :boom::boom::rocket:
:relaxed:

1 Like

So very true - I invested last September, just before market dropped loads, has taken me all year to get back to my initial stake, now its time to start compounding!

1 Like

Absolutely.
I really do believe that you will be rewarded for time in the market !

Why not use a virtual portfolio? Have a serious one on FT and a fantasy one elsewhere. Investing.com is good for that. Nice app too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m having a think about my investment strategy and was wondering how it might work in the app.

My initial thought is that I might want to have a small number of different investment strategies (some investment for dividend income, some market tracking ETFs and maybe a few shorter term individual stocks to gamble (in an informed way!) on bigger returns). It struck me that something like Monzo pots* would be a good model here to allow me to segregate them into nice buckets.

From what Iā€™ve seen so far it looks like thereā€™s no way of doing that. Is that right? Would buckets of investments be helpful to anyone else (weā€™ll need a better term, though!)?

*Iā€™d also like to see each of these portfolios in Monzo as pots, but thatā€™s another story! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I saw on Monzo android slack a few weeks ago that thereā€™s an investment pot behind a feature flag. Be interesting to see who thatā€™s with but I doubt itā€™ll be Freetrade as Monzo would want to make money from it.

Segregated investments sounds good, maybe as categories rather than pots but iā€™ll reserve judgement til I see the app in action

6 Likes

Spot on! Iā€™ll probably change my mind when I see it in real life. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder whether search (possibly combined with Emmaā€™s categories suggestion) could be a way to give you a similar outcome - so the search results would give you the kind of summary that you want, for a group of stocks / ETFs?

I guess the search functionality would have to be quite powerful, in order to give you enough variables to filter your results to get to exactly the results you wanted so maybe not..

4 Likes

You canā€™t see it very clearly here, but Nutmeg seem to have something similar (calledā€¦ pots!):

Iā€™m actually agnostic about presentation, but different views/filters/something to help me remember what my strategy is for each investment, and breakdown return, income etc is what I think Iā€™d like.

(Again, this is all from a position of ignorance, so really looking forward to seeing how Freetrade tackles the problem!)

8 Likes

I was thinking more different pots for Bonds, dividend paying shares, ETFs etc

I would hope Iā€™d never call one ā€˜Good Old Pensionā€™ on the grounds of good taste :see_no_evil:

10 Likes

Simple #tagging might provide the most flexibility?

Plus guess you may have a investment associated with multiple tags?

6 Likes

If they could be a bit more colourful and you could select one youā€™d used before, instead of just text and having to remember what youā€™d used before.

Kind of like this

6 Likes

Guess youā€™d have auto complete or show recently used tags. But saying that most people wonā€™t have many. Things like dividend probably will be filterable, as you might want to see dividend > 1%

Colour is always good. Reminds me of Trello and labels, you can name and colour code them.

Iā€™m sure Freetrade will come up with something thatā€™s really intuitive.

3 Likes

I agree in creating flag or lists starting with a watchlist, total portfolio and the rest that can be personalized.

1 Like

I would definitely find having some type of tagging system useful as I expand my investment, however, until that happens we still have the good old book and pen which I can record my strategy on.

2 Likes

Bump for this! Iā€™ve got a few stocks Iā€™d like to group together and track their collective performance on (like my own really amateur index) to help me test a theory. Some sort of grouping/pot functionality would be ideal for this

6 Likes

Itā€™s really helpful that the lastest version of the app sorts the investments in order but I donā€™t find the top 6 investments below the portfolio graph useful now that I have a lot more than 6, either it should show all or summarise as groups like ETFā€™s / Individual stocks (initially).

Then by making fully customisable pots/portfolioā€™s like the reminders list app on the iPhone - where each investment is aligned to one chosen list and you can move the order of lists around as well as the order of items in the list.

Iā€™d probably start with something like:
ā€¢ETFā€™s
ā€¢UK Stocks :uk:
ā€¢US stocks :us:
ā€¢Speculative :game_die:

3 Likes

Would it be possible to create multiple portfolios and bucket your shares / ETFs into those and name according to, lets say your ā€œstrategyā€ or ā€œgoalsā€?

e.g.

Bond Portfolio Strategy
ETF only Strategy
Moderate Growth Strategy
Aggressive Growth Strategy

It could be your goals too e.g.

ā€œMercedes C-Class goal 2025ā€

Been trying to find this idea around the community, but i donā€™t think anyone has brought it up, or i might be blind!

4 Likes