# Freetrade: A Platform Too Restrictive for Advanced Investors

Often the goal with this kind of thing is that the 10% keeps your hands busy to stop you touching the 90%.

Many people are aware that stock picking will likely be a drag on their returns, but they also know they arenā€™t perfectly rational and wonā€™t be satisfied just having a 100% low cost broad index fund so they use 90/10% to try and manage that.

6 Likes

Yes, it is a very reasonable approach if that is your reasons behind it. Particularly while learning.

This is about effectively diversifying your portfolio, and youā€™re achieving this diversification with index funds.

Suppose you have a few shares that collectively yield a 40% return at the end of the year, and a number of index funds that give you a 20% return at the same time. Thatā€™s a total return of 60%.

Index funds provide a ā€˜safety netā€™ in the sense that the S&P 500 has historically has always recovered. Itā€™s worth noting that it took 8 years for the S&P 500 to recover after the dot-com bubble burst.

With stocks like Nvidia and Tesla, you can almost feel the emotions of people, which can makes me very nervous. I believe that new, growing businesses with expanding market, like Constellation Energy, are much safer, especially when they were divested by a larger business.

My portfolio isnā€™t the largest so maybe my views will change with time and growth :slight_smile:

You have done the maths on calculating your total return wrong. Might be worth having another lookā€¦

6 Likes

No I havenā€™t mate.

At the JP Morgan alone is up by 20.6% this last year.

I canā€™t say too much because I will weaken my security. Iā€™ve already said more than what I should for any protental scammers reading this.

So your highest returning share is 40% but somehow your total portfolio return is 60% ?! :woozy_face:

Letā€™s take a simplified example and imagine that you have a Ā£200 portfolio is split 50/50 between the 40% returning share and the 20% returning oneā€¦

That gives you a total portfolio value of Ā£260, which isnā€™t a 60% return itā€™s a 30% return.

Now is we assume you only have 10% allocation to the share with a 40% return and the rest in the index fund your portfolio value is Ā£244 or a 22% return.

Both are solid annual returns, but the way you calculated it to get a 60% return (presumably by summing 40&20?) is just not correct.

2 Likes

To be honest, I used it as a loose example, and the math is incorrect as I was walking down the street at the time. I am sorry about that. However, that wasnā€™t the real point of the post.

The essence I was trying to convey is that a share price doesnā€™t necessarily decline merely because a higher percentage of a portfolio is in index funds.

Upon a careful re-reading of my statement, one will notice that I mentioned not having implemented this strategy personally. This implies that the proportion of my individual stocks exceeds 10%.

Discussing my personal account on a forum poses security risks as it could provide enough information for someone to hack into my account. While I aim to be transparent with you all, I also need to safeguard my security by keeping certain details private.

I can message you in private if you like I donā€™t want to post too much info in a public forum. I got to think about security.

Now Iā€™m even more confusedā€¦ why would anyone assume an individual share price would decrease because you also hold index funds. The two arenā€™t related at all?

Obviously there could come a point when there is soo much money in index funds that is skews price discovery in the market, but I donā€™t think weā€™re there yet. (And Iā€™m not sure that was your point either?)

Then just follow the trail if you are confused

7 Likes

Right security THATS why you cant go in to your supposed 60% gains in a year. If the phone rings answer it, it will be warren Buffet looking to hire you to be his next Charlie Munger.

1 Like

2 weeks in to 2024 and we have a contender for thread of the year.

6 Likes

The maths is wrong @tobywhaymand, admittedly the kind of error I once made in my early days of investing - I too was getting ā€˜incredible gainsā€™.

To keep things simple these days, I just look at what my portfolio was at the start if the year, what it ended at and work out annualised return (taking into account capital added).

3 Likes

I dumped my cash into x3 on nvidia, meta and Microsoft in Jan 23 and running a short gas x3 (flipped to long last month).

Awesome returns. NFA

1 Like

This is an excellent technical analysis, let me get out my cheque book and put down my money. :chart:

2 Likes

Hey all here,

Please just a gently reminder about our community rules, in particular to be kind and helpful.

@tobywhaymand thanks for raising some of these important new markets that we should offer. Weā€™d love to be able to offer investors access to all major stock exchanges. Thatā€™s certainly one of our long term goals.

However, the work that is involved in adding some of these exchanges can be quite intensive and varied. Weā€™re still a reasonably young company, so there are a lot of features that we need to add, including a broader selection of foreign stock exchanges.

Different countries will have different settlement and clearing mechanisms that we need to integrate with to enable trading on these exchanges. Itā€™s unfortunately the case that many overseas exchanges are not readily available to UK investors. ASX is a good example of an exchange that is not offered by a number of the major direct to consumer platforms in the UK.

Regardless, weā€™re going to continue on our mission to unlock trading on all major global stock exchanges and weā€™ll tick these off wish lists one at a time!

Best,
Alex

9 Likes

If security is your concern I would advise not using your name as your usernameā€¦

1 Like

My name is okay. You need to think about the l verification questions. People want me to tell them what my stocks are and go into detail. All the questions a call centre would ask if I was locked out of my account.

At the end of the day I havenā€™t lost money in over two years so my approach must be working