Freetrade in the news šŸ—žļø

Freetrade in the news.

19 Likes

Very nice mention -

Freetrade is another good example. It allows people to invest in the stock market without paying the usual brokerage and management fees. Itā€™s a great way for ordinary people to grow their savings during a time when many bank accounts offer negligible rates of interest.

There are so many good fintech products out there. Letā€™s pay attention to the ones that are helping people, not hurting them.

16 Likes

I didnā€™t see a thread about this, so if there isnā€™t one hereā€™s a thread for Freetrade in the media.

Freetrade was mentioned on the BBC Moneybox ā€˜how do I start investingā€™ episode released yesterday, when they talked about some mobile alternative platforms for investing. It was mentioned as an option for people who want to pick individual stocks or really want to learn how it all works over the other mobile apps which just invest in a handful of ā€˜riskā€™ based profiled options.

17 Likes

There is one old thread created as freetrade in the news Freetrade in the news šŸ—žļø

2 Likes

15 min 50 secs in after having advocated for index/fund investing e.g. FTSE100, Holly lists ā€œnice optionsā€ to being investing such as Moneybox, Wealthify, Nutmeg and Plum.

Then Anna suggests as another DIY option: ā€˜ā€¦Freetrade actually allows you to invest in particular companies that you can look up and see what theyā€™re doingā€¦ā€™

Amused Host interrupts as: ā€˜Holly is pulling a faceā€™

Holly: ā€˜ā€¦ the Freetrade app is an interesting concept but I think the problem with it I feel is itā€™s getting people to buy one individual share and that is putting all your eggs into one basketā€™.

Context for this related exchange :freetrade: :

14 Likes

Genuinely struggling to understand where this view has come from. Certainly it is far divorced from Freetrade as I use it.

9 Likes

Maybe the ā€œget one free share for referringā€ message has landed as ā€œinvest in one shareā€ for some people. Or maybe she just meant to say ā€œitā€™s getting people to buy one individual sharesā€.

(It feels true though that thereā€™s a lot of people who would invest but would like it to be simpler than an execution-only broker can make it for them. They may be going to the discretionary platforms like Nutmeg at the moment.)

She can check out the SXX thread if she wants to see the communityā€™s view on diversificationā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a :muscle: feature, data viz is underrated. Design is everything. How come @adam gets to have that in his beta and we donā€™t? :hugs: Nice job :freetrade: team :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Nice plug from @adam in The Times Money section today :

10 Likes

This is a must. Along with creating your own portfolioā€™s (I have created idea before). Show equity postions in that portfolio that you create as well. Post has since been merged butā€¦

I would like to have the ability to group different stocks into portfolios for each user. Example: I might have a tech portfolio I call Portfolio A. Portfolio B is a balanced portfolio with a lot of different asset classes. Portfolio C might be a dividend portfolio. It would be nice to be able to group these at the userā€™s choice. And show the percentage that stock makes up that portfolio it resides in.

5 Likes

Freetrade got a mention under Cheapā€¦ in fact, free in this post.

8 Likes

Did not expect to see the phrase, ā€œIt oozes testosteroneā€, to describe the app.

2 Likes

Donā€™t agree with the testosterone comment, but can understand the intimidation aspect.

But it wonā€™t be for everyone. It oozes testosterone. Thereā€™s not much content, guidance or help and if you donā€™t know what you want to buy it could be intimidating.

Freetrade has loads of content (medium blogs) & wikis that could be signposted in-app e.g. like in the current Monzo app:

@jani @Viktor itā€™d be great to add a curated version of the existing stock of ā€˜content, guidance and helpā€™ in-app to compliment the Insights tab in development.

11 Likes

Iā€™m confused by that. What do they mean? Iā€™m kind of failing to see how it oozes testosterone , sounds like they just made it up.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bizzare phrase, and the colour scheme doesnā€™t exactly fit it. The point that the app drops you in the deep end and doesnā€™t offer any hand-holding is fair, but equally the reason why there isnā€™t much ā€œguidance or help [ā€¦] if you donā€™t know what to buyā€ is surely because Freetrade cannot offer financial advice?

1 Like
17 Likes

We agree, this will be helpful! Some of them are around, e.g. the ETF intro post on the Discover screen. :slight_smile: But we shall do more. :muscle:

5 Likes

This just in

I am reading it now.

16 Likes

Our clients are overwhelmingly millennial,ā€ said Nebehaj. ā€œThe average age is 30 but we do have a small number of outliers. One customer is 90! He posts quite a lot on some of our discussion groups too
Any guesses? I would be classed as a bit of an outlier but itā€™s not me :eyes:

4 Likes