Gas and Electricity Crisis đŸ”„

In any case, when journalists made that sort “only X years” comment they forgot a few words. The way the oil industry works is that it talks about proven reserves and in particular commercially viable reserves. There are two main factors that some into play when talking about commercially viable reserves: the cost of extraction and the market price of the oil/gas. As oil reserves deplete often stimulation techniques are used to extract more gas/oil but it is only done if the market price is good enough. This is significant: if the market price is good enough. So the life of oil fields gets reappraised over the years and who does this?

It is the relevant experts who do it, based on the state of the reservoir, advances in technology and changes in oil price, not the journalists or politicians.

Comments like

fail to see this. And they don’t get the irony, they are asking for government intervention, subsidies, increased taxes, handouts and so on and so forth.

5 Likes

Wait, we don’t just suck oil and gas out with a straw and use the fuel there and then?

1 Like

You have to stop sucking before you get a mouth full of oil, otherwise, it’s straight into your fuel tank and you’re good.

2 Likes

however

The Times is reporting that Hornsea 2 has decided it is currently unable to take up its CfD contract at ÂŁ73/MWh

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wind-farm-contract-delay-diverts-1bn-in-savings-from-consumers-px85d9nlm

– if you dont have a Times sub and want to read the article
https://archive.ph/4jseK#selection-1061.55-1061.182

2 Likes

It is obvious that we need to invade Sweden, right now.

How much are the carbon emissions of legacy fossil fuels priced in at the moment?

I’m slightly sympathetic to the marginal preferred costs of gas (good graph here) - actually no screw it, we’re facing an existential crisis that threatens the future of the planet, of civilisation, of countless species, the future well being of children yet to be born etc etc etc
 The UK government should be doing a Manhattan/Apollo level project and pushing for solar panels on every single new residential/commercial building and filling our seas with turbines PLUS looking for next valley to flood for hydro storage etc etc

Polite contract negotiations aren’t going to save the world. It’s like fiddling whilst Rome burns.

7 Likes

It shouldn’t be every new roof. There’s a semi ‘eco’ development near me, one house has the solar panel facing south, the next one north. Unless of course you legislated that houses had to be designed to make effective use of solar irradiation. But that would require thinking from government.

YES! Let’s do that. I think it should be every new roof. Let’s make new builds have roof layouts aligned (in terms of pitch and direction) to achieve the maximum theoretical solar EV potential for their location. I don’t mind whether that’s enforced within building regs or planning regs - I’m flexible.

As someone who’s lucky enough to be looking into rooftop solar at the moment, I have absolutely no doubt that in the future - alongside building efficiency ratings - we’ll see houses on the market also having a ‘solar potential’ rating for their roofs and the property price being affected proportionately.

Forcing builders to have the most optimised roofs for solar could lead to some innovative designs for new builds and the slums of the future today’s new build estates.

We can’t go on like this:
https://twitter.com/PlanningShit
https://twitter.com/HateNewbuild

e: Sorry, I know I’ve gone a bit off topic and turned this into a rant about permanent scars being pushed on this green and pleasant land but I’m down the rabbit hole now and enjoying the content from this Twitter account too - https://twitter.com/NewHomeQuality1

7 Likes

Yes, but let’s look at the problem holistically. We need to have good design, from insulation and solar panels, to HVAC and heat pumps. Further, we shouldn’t keep expanding into the country side, we should build integrated cities, that have walkable neighbourhoods, not dependence on cars. This stuff is expensive, and would need planning, foresight and political will, both from the government and populace.

There is still so much low hanging fruit though, such as not having doors on fridges in supermarkets. That alone requires 1% of UK energy production. Insulation on homes, get an EPC report that says you have no roof insulation, but you are still allowed to sell it? Madness.

Slightly annoying presenter but otherwise quite a good video on optimal solar house design: Exploring Passive House Design - 90% Energy Savings! - YouTube

2 Likes

Thought I’d bring back a thread from earlier this year:

2 Likes

In summary: cheap energy via US Shale oil and gas is not the saviour for Europe this winter:

Ben Dell, chief executive of private equity group Kimmeridge Energy, said the shale industry’s investors on Wall Street would not give their blessing to a big production increase, preferring a low-production, high-profit model.

“Investors generally don’t want shale companies to pursue a growth model,” he said. “The capital availability is extremely limited.”

2 Likes

@sdebar
“It doesn’t matter what the ritcher number was”
It definitely does

In the past output was what they chased, profits would come later. That all changed when oil in the US fell into negative territory.
But i disagree with the belief that they wont increase output. If they can export it they will start to increase output but i don’t think the infrastructure is there for big exports.

1 Like

i thought coal was going gangbusters

1 Like

Russian oil price cap would save emerging markets billions, US says - per FT

The price of oil is going to rocket