How can we best invest for a sustainable future?

Do they? Renewable arenā€™t necessarily ethical or particularly environmentally friendly, probably the opposite if anything. I donā€™t think shell and BP are trying to look like theyā€™re doing the right thing since thatā€™s just subjective. Thereā€™s a market they want to tap and thatā€™s what theyā€™re doing. Renewables are worth investing in because itā€™s a future component of our future energy production. But thereā€™s nothing particularly ethical about them though and in 20 years weā€™ll be taking about the devastation caused by wind turbines to the environment.

Protecting 99.9% of their earnings means tapping into new markets whichever company does it better is the sign of a good company. It doesnā€™t matter if they produce fossil fuels or not.

Er, what?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not like thatā€™s news? Nothings immune to environmental impact and nothing is all that ethical. Wind turbines for example have huge impacts on environment, land use, habitation destruction, and issues with bird and bat impacts.

Long term viability requires battery storage which has its own considerations as well. Power generation is just power generation, the renewables are better in many aspects but they arenā€™t completely clean of environmental issues.

Right, I donā€™t think anyone is saying they are harmless, but without giving up energy entirely they are orders of magnitude better than the alternative. I donā€™t see how something is not ethical if it removes 95% of a problem just because it doesnā€™t solve for the last 5%.

The environment impacts of a wind, solar or nuclear are negligible when compared to the alternatives.

7 Likes

Oh yeah I agree. I donā€™t see us leaving oil for a long time though, perhaps for general power generation, but not for many other needs. Shell and BP arenā€™t moving to renewables just for the reduced impact though, as i say, these things are good, thereā€™s nothing wrong with them saying theyā€™re good, but theyā€™re not hiding the fact that they donā€™t just do renewables.

As you say, there are other companies for that if youā€™re looking for a renewable only focused company.

1 Like

In this respect Total and Shell are light years ahead of BP. BP were forced to make such a song and dance about it because they know how far behind they are. Chevron and Exxon are worse though.

1 Like

So it seems despite making a lot of noise about the environmental conscience they have suddenly discovered BP and Shell still lobby against environment measures in order to protect their fossil fuel interests :surprised pikachu:

As I said:

1 Like

Cambridge University plans to rid its endowment of all direct and indirect fossil fuel investments by 2030, the school announced Wednesday.

The U.K. school has one of the largest endowments in Europe at Ā£3.5 billion ($4.45 billion), and arguably becomes the most prominent university to aim for divestment.

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1nlyclcrbh8p3/Cambridge-University-to-Divest-From-Fossil-Fuels

The Church of England Pensions Board has sold all its holdings of Exxon Mobil Corp. because the oil giant failed to set goals to reduce emissions produced by its customers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-08/church-of-england-pensions-board-has-divested-from-exxonmobil

Something to bear in mind, perhaps who owns our shares may be as important as what they own.

We are giving immense voting power to the big ETF holders (Blackrock, Vanguard) and perhaps we shouldnā€™t just be considering their costs and tracking error but their voting record. Maybe in future we will look at our custodians voting record when deciding whether we buy an iShares or Vanguard ETF in the same way we look at an MPā€™s for voting.

That is a very optimistic view of voters in this country. Iā€™m sure you already know of this great site for seeing how your local MP is voting/has voted on issues in parliament but Iā€™ll leave the link here for anyone else - TheyWorkForYou

This thread has now got me wondering if Freetrade has an environmental policy or if they do any carbon offsetting.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

ESG scores/ratings are a broader measure which describe more than just sustainability or environmental impact.

Would it be feasible to enumerate in the Freetrade app, for every stock:

• Whether the company which the stock is for is already net zero
  • Whether the company is a member of the UNFCCC Race To Zero
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.