Investing for (adult) children

I’m keen on purchasing a few shares for my sons in a football team that they support, but if I buy them using Freetrade, can I transfer the shares to them at a later date?

2 Likes

Hi @gazza82 welcome welcome welcome :ocean:

Transfer of shares isn’t something that Freetrade currently support so you’d need to hold them in your account but they’d know they were there’s. It’s worth nothing that companies that do offer this would like charge a fair amount for the pleasure.

I hope for you sons sake it isn’t $MANU they support because it’s been a tough couple of months!

1 Like

It is ManU … and yes, been a mare recently … but that has hit the share price! And we’d be in it for the long term. We held three once (yes, 3) but had to sell when the Glazer’s bought the club.

cheers for the info!

1 Like

@neilB Hargreaves Lansdown and Interactive investor do such transfers free of charge. But @gazza82 obviously at the moment with Freetrade you buy them at no cost.

If they were not adults it is still not a problem. With HL you can directly open up a Child’s account (both investment and JISA) - no transfer needed . With II you can open a Junior ISA (at no extra charge) linked to your own account but don’t know if you can open up an independent investment account.

2 Likes