ISAs explained?

Sorry a bit off topic:

I have a tiny holding in Invest Engine GIAā€¦ just for sign up bonus.

They have a really great offering ā€¦ 400ish ETFsā€¦ but I canā€™t understand how they make, or plan on making money?

They get a bit of bid/ask spread & they have a charge on ā€˜managed fundsā€™ @ 0.25%.

But the ISA is free & they are giving out lots of commission for sign ups. I got Ā£50 & referral got Ā£25. I believe itā€™s now Ā£25 eachā€¦ Thatā€™s a lot of cash.

Yes this is a very reasonable comparison.

Also an ISA for US stocks is incredibly competitive with Interactive Brokers

This is actually really tempting to me, could you private message me a referral code? Iā€™ll sign up and have a proper look before transferring any of my etfs across.

It has a ton of the ETFs I hold that are plus only on freetrade, and a free ISA to put them in.

I donā€™t currently have plus so those are big advantages to me. Also the ETF look through feature is something I actually thought about trying to build a few years ago but never got round to it. Great idea.

1 Like

Cash burn to attract new clients, similar to what Freetrade have done.

Gave me a 300 pound share for transferring an ISA. If I only buy U.K. shares thatā€™s 8 years of free ISA I have received. It was a US share so granted they made a small amount on FX fees when I sold buy you get the point.

Looks like invest engine are also planning a crowd fund too.

1 Like

Chris also said he was thinking of moving his Ā£100k from Freetrade because he was unhappy with some of the goings on. (Freetrade situation, Timestamp 23 minutes)

When calculation Capital gains from an investment in an assets.

Do we not deduct our initial investment from the sales value?
(Eg:1)
I invested Ā£10k in asset ABC and sold if for Ā£20k, i will calculated it as (Ā£20k final sale - Ā£10k investment = Ā£10k profit) below Ā£12,300 allowance no CGT

(Eg:2)
I invested Ā£5k in assets XYZ and sold if for Ā£20k
(Ā£20k - Ā£5k = Ā£15k) therefore above the allowance and hence taxable gains is (15k -12,300 = 2,700) i only pay Tax on Ā£2,700.

Following article was published on 15th March, which suggests initial investment is not deducted from sales. And final sales is deducted from allowance.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/crypto/article-10603155/Do-pay-capital-gains-tax-sell-bitcoin.html

It is calculated on gains so both your examples are correct. Gains are effectively sale price minus your buy price.

Can become slightly more complicated calculating the gains if you have bought the shares in trenches and not all at the same price.

1 Like

Thanks again for your your kind reply.

For clarity: you need to add the sum of all your proceeds together and subtract from the sum of all original values. If you have 15 assets you cannot say the gain on each is 1K and therefore you pay no CGT. You would add all the gains and subtract your allowed losses and then your allowance to determine CGT.

Note that if the sum total amount you sold for is more than four times your CGT allowance and you are registered for SA you must report your gains even if you have no CGT to pay.

Note the comments I have made here relate to assets outside an ISA.

2 Likes

Crowdfunding on Crowdcube soon I see :eyes:

1 Like

I guess that Isas provide an incentive for saving and investing. Why? Because they are a tax wrapper mechanism, ie any gains made within the ISA is tax free. And it it is precisely this tax exemption baked in the tool that constitutes the incentive for individuals to save and invest, giving them the chance to build their own portfolio.

The Ā£20k limit per annum provides, to me at least, the sense that those who are already wealthy are not benefited. Looking at it in a different perspective one might say the ISAs provide protection to private property from the plunderous actions of the tax man to a set limit. Since I, like millions of others, make less than Ā£20k per annum after taxes and deductions, I am ok with the Ā£20k limit and find it reasonable. Iā€™m sure my stance would change if I were to make Ā£100k net of taxes per year

1986/1987 - Margaret Thatcherā€™s Government introduces the predecessors of ISAs

1999 - Tony Blairā€™s Government replaces the previous schemes by introducing ISAs

https://www.isaco.co.uk/isa-history

4 Likes