iShares MSCI Eastern Europe Capped UCITS ETF USD (Dist) (GBP) IEER

This ETF tracks the performance of a range of companies based in Eastern Europe. The fund may use derivatives to hedge against currency risks. Income is distributed to investors.

This ETF is way down to £2.65, a drop of 85%. Having already bought shares in it as it was dropping, I wanted to buy more now that it’s really low. However the buy button is deactivated and therefore I cannot purchase any, why?

It looks like some of the holdings have been sanctioned -

2 Likes

Ah thank you Neil. That definitely explains it. Obviously disappointing from a purely purchasing point of view but totally appropriate. That will probably be why the ETF price has sunk so catastrophically as well!

1 Like

That shouldn’t impact the purchasing of shares of the ETF, only the purchasing of stocks by said ETF.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense to halt trading if you know more about how ETFs work - more specifically creation and redemption.

Most Russian ETFs halted trading. Give it a google:

1 Like

So I got a message from FreeTrade today saying that iShares are going to delist this. Pretty disappointed I have to say. I had hoped that the ETF could be kept dormant until the situation had improved with a hopefully improved shareprice over time. Instead however, it looks like they are going to divest the assets at the lowest price resulting in massive losses for investors.

Disappointing. I am yet to receive that message. This was one of my smaller holdings so not a huge loss. But still a loss. Oh well…

£100 for me. Not the best but thankfully not the worst it could have been.