J Sainsbury plc 🛒 - SBRY

The retailer is one of the big four supermarkets in the UK. They have several businesses including financial services and property development.

1 Like

Classic. Not sure why they are on the way down. Has anyone got any discussion points please?

Because the German retailers are slowly destroying Sainsburys and Tesco.

6 Likes

Yep, squeezed by Aldi/Lidl at the low end and by Ocado at the high end, leaves them in a mid-market position that really doesn’t play well in a COVID market.

3 Likes

Sainburys ripe for a takeover/merger as it owns Argos too. Plenty of store space to combine brands/offerings and that’s the appeal for me going forward.

Worth looking at their IMS presentation here: https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/~/media/Files/S/Sainsburys/documents/reports-and-presentations/2021/FY21%20Q3%20Slide%20deck%20final.pdf

2 Likes

I also recently brought some on the combination of argos being a winner in lockdown and divi is always good.

Take over talk is outplayed… They tried that with Asda but that got stopped.

Sainbury, M&S PLC float your boat? :grinning:

Like it…:+1: That would be wonderful … M&S super grow there food side and sains get the online ocado side…

Would leave a lot of empty high streets…

1 Like

Speculation today that a Czech billionaires investment firm is targeting Sainsbury’s for a takeover and take it private.

1 Like

I have always felt the colour scheme is very dated and needs modernising :+1: It may sound stupid but I feel like I am shopping in the 80s when there, even though the products are decent. It feels very beige/magnolia :joy: :man_facepalming:
It’s just lost it’s ID, it doesn’t scream we are cheap, exclusive, ethical or anything to my mind.

1 Like

I agree on the colour scheme, looks tired and dated (orange and brown very 70s) still my preferred supermarket of the big 4 and the visuals are not irretrievable for sure but a bit of a facelift of stores and a move to have a bit more up market presence would be a benefit.

Think them, Tesco and Morrison’s are good long term investments despite the low cost German competition and the Sainsbury’s local and Tesco express set those two apart.

2 Likes

Sainsburys cost of covid.
Sales went up but spending on covid increased too

2 Likes

Not surprising they made a loss - but not all bad news and explainable- lost petrol sales and general covid expenses (hopefully now one off costs). But overall sales up and online sales up 102%.

Going forward I expect improved performance especially as they start to focus on their core market and making sure the low cost German competition aren’t taking more market share.

1 Like

@Prits9 ’ In February 2021, EG Group and TDR Capital acquired Asda. Walmart retains an equity investment in Asda, a seat on the board and ‘an ongoing commercial relationship.’ The deal came after an acquisition by Sainsbury’s was rejected by the Markets and Competitions Authority.’ Wikipedia

1 Like

Sainburys now the most shorted stock on LSE :astonished:

2 Likes

Ex dividend date is end of the month, share value drop after that? Not a significant one.
There was also talk a few weeks ago of a buy out planned by a Slovak billionaire to take it private, maybe that’s no longer the case and so expect a bit of movement away for speculative investors

I’ve invested in Sainsbury’s as a follow on to my earlier investment in Morrisons. News and chats about potential take over bids for Sainsbury’s looks like a potential winner to me. Not advice, just my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m selling Morrison’s as I’ve made a tidy profit and moving into more Sainsbury’s

1 Like
2 Likes