Matador App

Recently coming out of stealth is a new zero commission broker in the US called Matador. Itā€™s differentiation from Robinhood is that there is a social feed so you can see what your friends are trading and ā€œto encourage conversation and learningā€. Also, pretty high cash rates of 2.5% up to $10k. Only on iOS at the moment and Android is coming soon/waitlist.

https://www.matadorapp.com/

As part of the unveiling, the company also announced a fundraise of $9m from Accel and Greylock.

https://medium.com/the-official-matador-blog/introducing-matador-a-new-way-grow-your-money-by-exploring-the-stock-market-with-your-friends-b98e44129111?ref=producthunt

8 Likes

I like their mission, which is to make investing less scary but social sounds risky. Although itā€™s good to see they have tried to counter some of the issues with

ā€Matador has a No Day Trading Policy so tread lightly in the day trading zone to avoid getting your account restricted.ā€ - Source

I wonder how they do the social element. Whether that is like a Twitter where anyone can follow anyone else? Or whether itā€™s limited to your contacts list?

I also like that they show losses in the social feed, for instance it says ā€œJoshua sold IBM and lost 7.5%ā€.

5 Likes

The idea sounds very good, I think it will be very successful. Their mission sounds very similar to Freetrade. Interested to hear the thoughts on someone from Freetradeā€™s team on whether there could be any plans on implementing that social element on their platform as well.

2 Likes

Social could be risky depending who you are communicating with. Thereā€™s always self appointed experts and thatā€™s the main danger but I know thereā€™s a few of us on slack who discuss what investments we have chosen and itā€™s fun. Normally itā€™s what has fallen dramatically though :grin:

2 Likes

Yes that is definitely truth. Can be a double- edged sword for sure, interested to see how that turns out though.

2 Likes

I find hard to reconcile the idea of following your mates investments and the idea of do your own research.

In a winning spree it can feel great, but when prices start to fall without mercy I fear the chances of making self damaging decisions may be exacerbated with unrealized losses becoming realized ones because someone else did the same.

Also, both entry and exit points are different for different people, hence timing must be different too.

Making buy or sell decision based on what someone else did may not be totally bad if one understands the rationale behind it. If thatā€™s not the case then I canā€™t think thatā€™s something to be made available nor encouraged. If one doesnā€™t understand the reasons that led to a decision, then it shouldnā€™t copy that decision. Deciding to buy into an asset just because my mate just bought it isnā€™t a criteria I can classify as sound. And it seems to me thatā€™s exactly what that sort of social feed encourages to do.

I personally prefer a community forum where each one decides what to share or reveal to the other members. And each one takes the full responsibility for the consequences of itā€™s own decisions, good or bad

2 Likes

Just because you can see what others are investing in or selling doesnā€™t mean you will copy it, although I agree Iā€™d like to select what information is shared

1 Like

My idea was also that social aspect to be more of a discussion based rather than blindly following people, but when I give it more thought it can get ugly used the wrong way. I donā€™t want to imagine all the people from Robinhoodā€™s community or r/wallstreetbets at one place having the chance to share their trades live.

2 Likes

Of course not, but the risk is there.
Take a look at my imaginary friend. Let me call him John.
Jonh is a smart guy. Heā€™s funny. Everybody likes him and everybody listens to what he says. Heā€™s a self confident dude.
I like John and I think heā€™s reliable. He starts buying into this company and in the other one, and then the other. I donā€™t copy heā€™s trades. Not straight away at least. Time goes by. Heā€™s results are better than mine. I give in and start copying some of his decisions. Some dreadful event send those investments towards the gutter and I donā€™t know what to doā€¦

I simply fear something like this may happen

1 Like

isnā€™t that the same risk you take if you talk to imaginary John in the imaginary pub?

2 Likes

Sounds like eToro only difference is they do real equities eToro does synthetic securities such as spread bets and CFDs.

ā€œToroā€ - Spanish for Bull
ā€œMatadorā€ - Spanish for bullfighter

10 Likes

I think I see your point. At a fundamental level itā€™s not different at all. And if we were to add our phones in the pub with the app openedā€¦

I donā€™t like it. Maybe Iā€™m old fashioned

1 Like

I think whatā€™s interesting is the amount of money theyā€™ve managed to raise from pretty prominent investors with little market traction (so far).

It could prove useful for benchmarking Freetradeā€™s next round. Assuming a sensible amount of dilution for the new money, e.g. 20% to 30%, Matador could be worth around $30m to $45m post money. All this with only an iOS app and no meaningful user count, as theyā€™ve just come out of stealth.

1 Like

eToro announced last week that they will soon offer commission free stock trading in the UK.

Somewhat more interesting is they acquired ā€œFirmoā€ which will ā€œoperate as an internal R&D arm within eToro focused on developing blockchain-oriented trade execution and the infrastructure behind the digital representation of tokenized assets.ā€.

Although I loved my time on eToro, there were a lot of drawbacks and hidden costs. Also the system was quite buggy. If Freetrade had their wealth of offerings, Iā€™d never look back.

1 Like