Megathread - šŸ”„ Dividend Fest šŸ”„

This is just a list from my app. The colours arenā€™t relevant.

1 Like

Shipping Stonks :slight_smile: = GOGL(20%),SBLK(20%),FLNG (15%)
Oil Stonks :slight_smile: = PBR.A(30% cash cow), USAC(12%),KNOP(12%). Alternative to KNOP=AMSC(12%)

Monthly stocks = PSEC(9.2%),PFLT(8.8%),SCM(8.34),EFC (10%).
Future returns and current Dollar exchange to share price cost, will have an effect along with TAX on future Yields and such.

Couple for the pot ;p

2 Likes

Evraz was great for dividendsā€¦

One Iā€™ve bought into recently is Magellan Midstream Partners, L.P. - share price barely moves, 8.73% dividend according to Freetrade.

3 Likes

Does anyone know anything about $PBRA? Petrobras - a Brazilian oil company. Part-owned by a basket case government, but 31% divis?!

2 Likes

I donā€™t know much about the company in question but a 31% yield is a massive red flag for me. It usually suggests thereā€™s extreme volatility.

6 Likes

For context, that is not the standard % where it will go in future is anyones guess and probably not a good sign.

Interesting story linked to it

1 Like

Think itā€™s a special thatā€™s why so high :thinking:

1 Like

I3 energy currently paying. 0.001425 every month. Works out at 1.71 p div for the year. Current share prive 30p.

3 Likes

ORIT - Octopus Energy Renewables Trust

2 Likes

Been looking at pflt,how long have you held if you dont mind me asking?has it treated you well?

1 Like

Gulf Keystone (Ā£GKP)
Diversified Energy Company (Ā£DEC)
Jupiter (Ā£JUP)
Crystal Amber (Ā£CRS)

1 Like

1 Like

This looks a good stock :thinking: but will it go the distance or just current mood with gas and oil :thinking:

Quick one,ive got shares in a few different companies,but ive just came to the realisation that say for example i have invested 1000 into a share paying 4 percent div it will take 25 years to even make that back,whats the point?

A 2.5 percent stock will take 40 years.

A 4% yield would equate to 25 years to return the capital invested however youā€™re capital isnā€™t lost. Assuming the share price remains stable (thatā€™s a big assumption) you could withdraw your investment after 10 years have have earned 40%.

You have to also consider inflation which historically runs at 3% - 4%.

It depends on your long term goals and time lines.there is very much a school of though that dividends are irrelevant / counter productive. Iā€™d recommend all dividend investors read though this thread it could change your mind or confirm you approach - either is helpful.

As with most things in life a good balance is key. Maybe have some dividend safe stocks and then some growth stocks.

4 Likes

One thing to also remember is that while investor like to see dividend yield because itā€™s a nice easy comparable most companyā€™s donā€™t think like this. Theyā€™ll think in real terms cash returned to share holders in GBP/USD.

If youā€™re picking a dividend stock for the long haul then making sure they have a track record of paying and ideally growing the dividend is key.

Youā€™ll also want to keep track of your ā€˜personal yieldā€™ if a stock price shoots up or down after youā€™ve brought it the yield will change in the app. So always remember to calculate it like this -

Total dividends paid in a year (including special dividends) / your average price.

Thanks for the reply,does reinvesting dividends make a big difference also ?my plan is to invest to earn passive income,which i will be reivesting for the next few years until i get to a certain amount.

1 Like

Huge difference IMO - simple compounding of returns :rocket:. There are vast numbers of articles online (including on this forum!) demonstrating the benefits.

My only note of caution would be that if youā€™re planning on reinvesting dividends over the longer term while also adding new funds, then HMRCā€™s dividend tax may eventually come into play if youā€™re investing through an GIA instead of an ISA, should this option be available.

May seem many years away but if youā€™re aiming to invest regularly, particularly with a dividend focus, itā€™s worth keeping in mind. I would also suggest that itā€™s also a tax more likely to have the exemption allowance threshold reduced further in future rather than increased, as it directly affects only a relatively small proportion of the electorateā€¦

As always, everyoneā€™s circumstances are different, so DYOR!

3 Likes

Lenny, you mean i3e? TBH my average price is 15.3 p so sat of 100% profit plus monthly div. All the advisory services ate giving a buy status to 45p. Just upped the div from. 0012p Canā€™t really see the oil price dipping anytime soon, especially with Putin causing havoc in Urkaine and embaroes on their oil and gas.