MEGATHREAD: Freetrade Plus :plus_:

You could just add the US listed Tencent ADR though. Like you did for e.g. Alibaba. :slight_smile:

At least until theyā€™re forced to delist by Trump. :joy:

There is no US listed ADR, Tencent is only available in the US as an OTC traded stock.

2 Likes

Yh Dave spot on!

I personally cant wait for new features to be added to plus, as i pay for portfolio tracking features i want elsewhere such as simply wall street. If freetrade can implement features such as dividend tracking and predictions, company news feeds, multiple portfolioā€™s for easy management, i will happily move the money i pay these other services to freetrade.

5 Likes

That seems to be the long term idea of plus

Ah. I didnā€™t spot that.

1 Like

hmm, have to be a must for meā€¦ oh wellā€¦ we shall see ehā€¦

thatā€™s what i said, would be good thenā€¦ something worth consideringā€¦
spot rate scrapā€¦ free isa thingā€¦ add more stocks T212 does not haveā€¦ and few other things and then maybe price 9.99 be worth it like, otherwise for me, have to be more like 5.99ā€¦

One point which hasnā€˜t been discussed here is that the free version was meant to be kept very simple as it is aimed at a slightly different target audience than the plus accounts.

While I think limit orders and other order types only add slight value to long-term investors (and thus by themselves donā€˜t justify the costs for Freetrade Plus), IMO itā€˜s correct not to have them in the free version.

When I started out investing, order types were really confusing to me. I think it is a great call to stick with a simple UX approach in the free version!

Obviously, the value added in the plus version is still up to debate and needs to be improved (which is planned).

3 Likes

Freetrade are at risk of making the same error as Monzo.

If those who visit the forum and are most engaged/supportive of the company think a product is poor, than the ā€œsilent majorityā€ are even less likely to be impressed.

11 Likes

I would go out on a limb and say those who participate in the forum are more brand advocates (some even idolise FT?), so this would skew the results somewhat.

Either way, based on feedback so far I do wonder if any market research was done during product development here.

2 Likes

I think that, in general, this forum is overly critical of Freetrade because a lot of forum members feel very passionately about the product.

Considering Stake, IMO Freetradeā€™s closest competitor, is about to start charging a very similar monthly fee for a similar product (except Stakeā€™s free version only offers 3 trades a month) I think Freetrade is fairly well positioned market wise.

As long as Freetrade brings on more exchanges, automatic reinvesting through pies, DRIPs, SIPPs and basic analysis of companies I think this product will stand up to its competitors. The real problem then becomes getting people to move big enough portfolios (IMO at least GBP12,000 to make the fees worth it) onto Freetrade.

With the product as it stands I will be considering moving my main portfolio over but the stock universe (US) still needs to be expanded for me to do so.

The real kicker for me is that Freetrade have not indicated a plan to bring in ā€˜accredited investorā€™ status like Stake. This real cuts the optionality of US ETFs which form a core part of my holdings (both long and short) and so might limit large portfolio holders.

5 Likes

Imagine peopleā€™s reactions to Freetrade plus if instant trades were Ā£1 still but free if you had freetrade plus. :wink:

16 Likes

Maybe a half price offer 4.99 say while the other features are being developed or an early bird discount of 7.99 say for 5 years or something for investors. If it isnā€™t the finished product then probably shouldnā€™t be charged or marketed as such.

Iā€™m one of FT greatest fans and have invested a lot too. I just worry that other companies such as monzo who have tried this and done it bad do need to be learned from.

That all said FT have got pretty much everything right so far. I hope that this thread is discussed in detail and if Plus needs to be delayed then that should be considered a small loss over the long term.

All the best folks!

35 Likes

so from what I am gathering itā€™s just the chart like thing, meaning if about to buy or sell, doesnā€™t it surely some how show you current priceā€¦ I still using tradingview as done last few years when in Americaā€¦ Ermā€¦ now back in UKā€¦ (long story) i donā€™t mind delayed thing cause can use my trading view, but should be something when about to buy or sell, should show you a current price surelyā€¦
Anyway Iā€™m sure i would figure it outā€¦

1 Like

Whilst the majority of users arenā€™t using the community forum, those who are are the most committed users and want Freetrade to be a success. There are also a number of investors using this forum. Itā€™s worrying that the majority of engaged users are not happy with the current Plus account offering; how can you convince the less engaged users that plus is worth Ā£9.99 a month when you canā€™t convince the majority of investors and the engaged users who will promote the product?

In my view, it would be beneficial to offer the Plus account to all users for free until the end of the year and as further features are rolled out. This will allow time to make improvements whilst also engaging users with a view to them seeing the value and paying for the Plus account in the new year.

The Plus account is still in beta stage and Iā€™m convinced that Freetrade will take on board the feedback and improve the Plus account; one thing I love about Freetrade is that the team genuinely listen to user feedback and act on it.

12 Likes

As an investor in Freetrade and someone who has invested quite a bit since the start and rooting for it to succeed, the FTP story has been disappointing to say the least.

All features aside, principally I think limit and stop orders should be available for all users.

Iā€™d pay Ā£10 a month if there is no FX fees.

Example - A stock I recently bought and sold had Ā£40 in FX fees. There are other brokers that charge Ā£10 a trade but no FX charges and no monthly ISA fees.

It may be that Freetrade is not targeted at a consumer like me.

Anyway this feedback is meant to be constructive in nature.

I think this thread and discussions around this in the Fintech community sums it up well on what the customer is asking for here.

All the best.

8 Likes

This comes up from time to time as a suggestion, but low flat fees is one of the key features of Freetrade I hope they never move away from. Itā€™s such a GREAT selling point when you get up to high value portfolios. If you invest 500k at 0.45% a year on HL - you end up paying quite a lot in fees even when capped and this has a significant impact.

If you want to go fee-free with Freetrade just use the general investment account - zero fees forever, and if you start to make enough to be significant, you can then move to an ISA, where the fee doesnā€™t matter because your portfolio is worth enough.

So I think they should stick with low flat fees, and ~ Ā£100 a year is very low once you start to build up significant savings. Itā€™d be better to replace the sneaky Ā£9.99 with an honest Ā£10 a month IMO, and have an annual Ā£100 option - a nice round figure for comparisons and marketing. This is not a supermarket, prices should be straightforward - fees should be in no-nonsense round figures to communicate that honesty to customers.

Iā€™m on plus now (relatively early investor), and I like it so far but I think itā€™s fair to say that there just arenā€™t enough features to justify the price as yet. IMO thatā€™s ok and not unexpected, theyā€™ve only just soft launched it, are not pushing it, and will gradually ramp up marketing when it becomes better. They just need to commit and put in the work now to make it better over the coming months.

Iā€™m not sure they can zero out fx fees as then theyā€™d take a hit every time you trade, and it could be a significant hit the bigger the trade. However I do hope they could offer some reduction in fx fees and it would still make it more attractive. Plus isnā€™t worth Ā£9.99 just now, but I think Freetrade know that, and I donā€™t think they have far to go to make it worth it.

The fact that many people want limit orders badly is a good illustration of why they put them into plus Iā€™m afraid, I canā€™t see that changing. Compared to cheap options like T212 it may never compete, but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a competition Freetrade should try to win.

Itā€™s very hard to raise prices on a product like this, so I think theyā€™re better just to start at the higher price and build it out quickly this year to become worth that price to enough people. To keep their growth up and start making a little money they need to have a compelling product within a year or so anyway.

Re the limit orders we have now in plus, they are as youā€™d expect - they appear to be using exchange limit orders so theyā€™ll have all the idiosyncrasies and weird rules dictated by that (only in some markets, limited time, limited rules etc). Perhaps thatā€™s necessary for some reason but Iā€™d rather see them eventually get a source of realtime info and build something better on top of exchanges, so that they can offer a significantly better product than the competition rather than the same.

Mooted features I donā€™t value in plus:

• Curated collections - I think these might be more useful for beginners not using plus?
  • Restricted stocks - just feels a bit wrong to do this, unless it was for a limited time - limited time would be a nice perk, anything else feels exclusionary IMO - this is the one decision on plus I would reverse. You wonā€™t persuade people to pay extra to access some esoteric stockā€¦ but you will annoy them by restricting it

Features I would value in plus:

• Limit orders :partying_face:
  • Lower FX fees, say 0.25% for Plus
  • Free SIPPS - say they charge Ā£5 a month for SIPPs
  • Dividend reinvestment
  • Better info on index funds and their return/risk
  • Better info/tools on stocks (as in wealth managers or screeners like SWS)
  • More tools for managing money and projecting growth - seeing what you could end up with in 40 years could be quite powerful - these features could be cheap to build but very useful

If they offer a few more things this year, I think it will then be quite compelling for a lot of people, particularly compared with heavy hitters like HL who still charge per investment and charge high percentage fees. Excited to see where it goes next.

22 Likes

I agree with the Ā£10 point. Psychologically, 9.99 nowadays appeals less to me than if it was a round Ā£10. No idea why, Iā€™m not a psychologist, but I understood historically ending something at 99p was a draw because of a psychological barrier of the next pound up but that just doesnā€™t seem to be the case any more.

For me at least.

4 Likes

For funds yes, but holding Ā£500k of the equity types offered by Freetrade in an HL GIA costs Ā£0/year and in an ISA Ā£45/year ( trading costs are another story )

3 Likes