MEGATHREAD: Freetrade SIPP

Finally vanguard sipp is here. Will transfer my employer pension out.

Yes Anders, that is exactly the point I have made and thatā€™s why Revolut at the moment are the lowest all-in cost:

What are you planning to hold in your SIPP?

I hold low-fee passive ETFs, which is pretty much the cheapest and easiest way to build a diversified portfolio. There is no FX charge (they are listed in London in GBP) and there is no stamp duty on ETFs.

I would probably transfer my SIPP from HL to Vanguard if it wasnā€™t for the fact that the Freetrade SIPP/pension account will be out later this year.

Itā€™lll be better as you can buy non-Vanguard ETFs and add some specific stocks to your portfolio. Most of my current SIPP is in Vanguard ETFs tbh.

14 Likes

Iā€™ll probably switch to the Freetrade SIPP when it comes out to access to more stuff to invest in and to have everything in one place. For this tax year though Iā€™ve opened the Vangaurd SIPP, started the transfer for my other pension and set it to 100% VWRL

I donā€™t have a specific target, but my Freetrade ISA portfolio is about 1/3 ETFs and trusts. For an ETF only portfolio, itā€™s hard to look past Vanguard. Iā€™m leaning towards Vanguard now, and Freetrade later this year. Great to hear the boss is looking forward to it too!

1 Like

Outright European equities (no ETF) for me and EUR cash.

Iā€™m in the same boat as mostā€¦ the new tax year is approaching and Iā€™ve kicked off a transfer of an old employer pension pot (< Ā£30k) into a SIPP with AJ Bell YouInvestā€¦ Iā€™m having a few second thoughts about my broker choice (I have until May to finalise transfer i.e. once I send the forms the deal is done).

I wish we had some clarity on when Freetrade will make a SIPP account available but until then, Iā€™m not sure whether I should go ahead with AJ Bell or notā€¦ I was even planning on opening a S&S ISA with them this year because they offer funds that Freetrade doesnā€™t at the moment (unfortunately). I know that this will change once Freetradeā€™s own platform is up and running.

Some advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Totally agree. I was with the Peopleā€™s Pension work pension scheme for two and half years, and when i left that job, consilidated these funds into my SIPP with HL. (there wre no exit fees with the Peopleā€™s Pension by the way).

Now in my new job, iā€™m with SAUL pension schemeā€¦ will do the same when i leave sometime in the futureā€¦

So iā€™m constantly funding my pension with workplace contributions directly out of my salary - and donā€™t even see it. But also actively funding myself with my ISA ā€¦ the best of both worlds.

HMRC are VERY VERY tough when it comes to regulating anything to do with your personal pension - and regulation is extreme (thereā€™s a lot of nasty Pension scammers out there!) So thereā€™s probably a serious amount of regulatory, financial mandatory loopholes that prevent newcomers like FreeTrade from allowing pensions at the moment - rightly so.

Think about it - if RobinHood launched their UK app tomorrow, or if Trading 212 offered it - would you want to start transferring all your life saving pensions to them immediately ?

1 Like

With the Crowdfund raising so much new cash, is the SIPP going to become a new priority?
It keeps getting put back whilst other features roll out.
Iā€™m now at the point where I am ready to transfer out to a SIPP but did want to stay with Freetrade. I will most likely collate all investments into one platform so I am keen to see the Freetrade SIPP rolled out

2 Likes

I read in September for SIPP

Not only that Andres. HL charges the FX on dividends too so I assume these platform do the same! So the charges are more than 1.5% in + 1.5% out. You will have to add 1.5% dividends fee

1 Like

I hadnā€™t thought of that.

I did go with Vanguard for the time being, and the timing was fortuitous. It was just before the real smeg hit the fan, and so the portion I transferred (50%) was in cash. Iā€™ve been slowly putting it back into the market since.

I am not sure if I can buy direct shares via Vanguard SIPP and what is and what is their fee structure. The UK market lacks a cost effective SIPP market for direct share holdins. Unless you have a portfolio of north Ā£150K you are better off investing in funds.

AJ Bellā€™s SIPP fees are capped at Ā£25 a quarter if you only hold shares, ITs and ETFs. Funds will attract extra fees (0.25%).

I would expect Freetradeā€™s SIPP to be just as competitive.

You are right Vanguard SIPP is only their own funds and ETFs.

At present most people would be better using funds simply because they donā€™t know enough about what they are doing. Even people with tens of millions will have easier time with funds. Most advised clients have fund based portfolios too.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Freetrade will struggle to beat this

2 Likes

Itā€™s Ā£1.50 for regular investments. Same on HL, and Vanguard is a single platform fee. Theyā€™re all cheaper than Freetrade up to a certain amount of held assets.

Freetrade are now looking for a Senior Product Manager for the SIPP

11 Likes

FT should defo take someone who has also worked on automated SIPP transfers (e.g. Pension Bee) because this is a killer functionality.

1 Like

Transfers are important but it is also sensible to roll out slowly, so I would expect that to come a bit later.

Come on @Adam please take my SIPP money ASAP as I hate feeding our arch rival HL :pound: but I cant do anything else ahhhh help!!

2 Likes