MEGATHREAD: Limit Orders

Any updates on this

I totally agree

Please allow limit order, probably start with UK stocks.

Itā€™s on their road map for 3-6 months

1 Like

added 6th of August 2019

I wouldnā€™t think the timelines on the roadmap mean much any more.

2 Likes

nice, thank you

I can see this being for premium account holders.

3 Likes

I see it more as an essential service of a broker rather than something premium :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If it is premium I can see people going to another provider (better not name them or I might be accused of shilling or whatever it is called).

Limit orders are a pretty basic feature for equity trading so I really hope it doesnā€™t attract a cost.

6 Likes

According to a recent AMA, limit orders are in testing.

2 Likes

I see why youā€™d want it to be free, but Freetrade do have to reserve some in-demand features for paid offerings or they wonā€™t make enough money. Itā€™s a balance, and they may decide to make this free, or to charge for it so that they can make a profit. They have been clear from the start that some features would be part of paid accounts.

Some rivals (who you choose not to name), make a profit from enticing their users to make bets on margin on short-term price movements with poorly understood risks (bets which around 80% of retail customers lose money on). Freetrade doesnā€™t do that, and that means theyā€™ll charge for some things, I trust them more because of that.

6 Likes

I donā€™t disagree they need to generate revenue I just hope that they can come up with a decent pricing structure. If paying an account fee for an ISA Iā€™d expect a bit more ā€œfreeā€ or ā€œinclusive featuresā€ v the free account etc.

1 Like

with all the complaints about spreads and never really knowing how much you are going to pay, I think charging a premuim for it would be a bit much. That is one of the few features missing I would expect for free, even more so than fractionals.

5 Likes

Limit orders will hit the same problems of differences between mid price and buy price, so people think it should have bought at a given price when that price wasnā€™t available to buy.

There are other ways to address problems with spreads - they could just be a lot clearer about the spread, and offer a confirmed price as other brokers do. Iā€™m sure this will come with time.

thatā€™s the point of limit orders. if itā€™s not available to buy at N price, it doesnā€™t buy (rather than buying at whatever price it finds). Never said it was perfect, but I know for a fact a lot of people are waiting on it and again, I donā€™t dispute that FT need to make money, but if they are charging for basic things like limit orders, then they might as well charge for graphs too. Yes, some other brokers do offer comfirmed prices, but they all offer limit orders.

4 Likes

Limit orders would be so useful. Theyā€™re standard on most trading platforms, I donā€™t understand why Freetrade doesnā€™t implement them.

They will most likely be available to those who sign up for the soon-to-be-released premium/alpha account.

Apologies if this has been covered beforeā€¦

I was just wondering if it would be possible to introduce a feature where the user could set their minimum sell price for a trade and Freetrade would execute the trade as soon as the price reaches its target. Iā€™m a relatively new investor and I would have assumed that this would be a standard feature. Similar concept to setting an auction price on eBay and it would mean investors do not need to be watching their portfolio obsessively to ensure that they donā€™t miss a great opportunity.

2 Likes

Hey Neil, first of all, welcome to the community :wave:

Thanks for the feature request. Iā€™ve moved it into this thread, which should cover what youā€™re looking for.

The good news is we are currently building out this feature ā€” you can read more about it, and many others, here:

4 Likes

Great stuff. Many thanks!