MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊

Hi everyone :wave:

We’re gradually rolling out dividend events to Standard and Plus members over the next week. This feature will be available on both iOS and Android. iOS users can download the update directly from the App Store.

Keep track of ex-dividend dates and dividend payment dates for individual stocks, and get them in your calendar. You can also see key info like dividend per share and dividend type.

Not sure what all this means? Check out the :information_source: buttons within the feature. They’re there to give you helpful hints, so you can make the most of your stock fundamentals.

Let us know what you think below and keep an eye on this thread to see what’s next!

Not a Standard or Plus member yet? See how our plans compare. Upgrade to access dividend events, price targets, analyst ratings, our full range of stocks, interest on cash balances and more.

When you invest your capital is at risk, the value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than what you invest.

29 Likes

Some investment houses make this clear by saying things like “HOLD” for now or “SELL” when it gets to £v or “BUY” above £w. This makes it clear that they are not predicting or forecasting the share price. But obviously Freetrade can’t do this because it is an execution only broker.

4 Likes

Excellent news! Can’t wait for this to be released. I have been adding the dates manually to my investor calendar, and it’s a time consuming process. The option to add this directly from the app to the calendar will be greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

Just me or do some stocks do not show a divdiend section? For example RY - Royal Bank of Canada.

Also, this is cool and all but would be nice to have a actual calender in app showing distributions dates at a glance. Having to drill down to each position is kinda tiring.

Also, does the ‘add to calender’ work for anyone? after setting the event and pressing ‘add’ nothing shows up. Also, trying to change the location of the ‘event’ crashes the app.

1 Like

Looks like this feature has gone live

I don’t see the dividend information in the discovery tab for RBC. So I guess the data is not there or not declared by the Board.
‘Add to calendar’ works for me.

If you still have these two issues please see report it in this Topic: MEGATHREAD: Bugs & Glitches

2 Likes

Is this actually live? I can’t see anything on my app except previous payments. Also, is there any plan for your upcoming dividends to show on a list, like the activity feed? Having to go through each individual stock constantly to know if a payment has been announced, kinda makes it hard work for large portfolios.

It seems cool for seeing what happened previously but unless it was in one place, which would be awesome, pointless for me TBH.

1 Like

Having upcoming payments on dividend stocks you own in the activity feed would be massive

3 Likes

To me it is the only real benefit as I have loads of stocks and having to go through all the individual ones every so often to see if/when a dividend is coming is not realistic at all. It goes against the great app that is so user friendly and simple.

Saying that I am unsure if I even have it and it is still in Beta as I have looked at over 30 stocks and none show upcoming dividends so I may be totally wrong. Just going of the images above.

3 Likes

Worthwhile remembering that dividend payment information can’t be shown without the payment being declared by the board.

So no amount, ex div or payment date possible until declared by the board. That is why some sites publish something they call a ‘prediction’. We see confusion about payment amounts and dates from time to time on Freetrade topic threads because of this.

4 Likes

You are totally correct! That kind of makes my point more valid as I need a 3rd party source to know when they are announced or manually go through every stock each week or something which i ridiculous.

I was hoping this would be something like the paid for services you can get where a notification is given when one is announced, or you get a nice list with all on one page for simplicity of seeing what is coming.

I am already signed up to all paid services but as I said before this would be a good plus incentive as people would love a calendar of what is due.

As with a lot of new things at Freetrade, it is much better than not having this function but feels like Beta or halfway to the service people actually want or need.

3 Likes

I get most of my dividend info from either the companies investor email services or RNS alerts from the LSE website (for UK stocks obvs). Both are free. Also get them through SimplyWallStreet, which is a paid service and usually a day or two behind the company/RNS emails.

They could have something similar like Robin Hood like once the payment is declared they can have it as pending in the activity feed until the payment date that would be pretty good

5 Likes

I see the merit of what you and @BIg-g are saying about a generic calendar. For people that want to know what they should be expecting it makes a great deal of sense. I don’t agree that this information should be in the activity feed. For one simple reason: it is not an activity. All I want to see in the activity feed is incomings and outgoings. In any case, just because the board declared it, it does not mean you will get it (you may sell long before the ex date).

We should also recognise that many people really don’t care about this. The reason they don’t is because they are not going to do anything with the information. It has no bearing on and doesn’t inform any investment decision that they make. Some people just reinvest the money when they see the money arrive (or have it done automatically if their broker provides a re-investment service). As I said earlier, I fully recognise it is really important for some people to know 
 so I am not arguing against having a calendar in the form @Big-g says 
 just making it clear that many have no need for it.

3 Likes

Or if it is an interim dividend they can cancel it right up to the ex-dividend date without recourse.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the dividend events, it’s been great to read your ideas on what else can make this even more valuable for you.

Some of you have asked about missing upcoming events. The reason for this is because we want to provide you with the most realistic and correct data you’d need to make investment decisions, and making a decision based on unconfirmed data, doesn’t sit right with us.

We currently show events on the individual stock page to benefit everyone (standard and plus customers) who visits the page. We also intend to present an aggregated view of dividend events across your portfolio in a single place. Once we start working on that you can expect a post to get involved in testing designs :wink:

As always, capital at risk, and please keep providing us with feedback!

Rafael

7 Likes

@Rafael any possibility of an answer to MEGATHREAD: Stock fundamentals 📊 - #107 by NeilB?

tl;dr your error message is user unfriendly - it results in users being concerned about their phone or app version or their wifi/internet connection. But the problem is actually not in the users control - it is a problem that Freetrade has and it isn’t fixing for now. Please can the message be more like @NeilB’s suggestion and thus remove the element of doubt that your present error message creates?

Thanks for the reminder @bitflip, @NeilB .

There are a couple of nuances with price targets that we’re currently working to resolve with our third party provider, namely the currency issue. Fundamentally it means that right now for some of those price targets, there aren’t actually any we can display at this time.

In the meantime updated the error messages to be clearer that there isn’t anything to show in these cases.

Thanks,
Rafael

1 Like

Hey yall, it’s me again,

Sharing some work in progress regarding EPS. I’ve got it mocked up with the latest data for Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon, and would love to get feedback from you all regarding the way the data is visualised.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback,
Rafael

13 Likes

Looks pretty cool!!