Monzo đŸ“± 🏩

I disagree with everything you have just posted. Can you elaborate a little please.

2 Likes

Still early days imo. What are your thoughts on Uber, Airbnb, Peloton, Dropbox, Pinterest, Snap? All are not profit-making.

4 Likes

Sure, read their last two quarters’ earnings reports and everything I said about them losing money will make more sense.

Regarding this not being a cash cow, I understand that lending is big business but paying zero interest over three months doesn’t make anyone money (unless they count making a tiny bit of interest off the money that would remain in the persons account instead)

Happy to be proven wrong though, if you’ve spotted something I haven’t seen?

5 Likes

I’ll concede I’m a rose tinted specs crowdfunded but this feels exactly like a cash cow.

After pay have just been brought for $29bn by Square. They have 3 times as many customers as Monzo (16m v 5m) and are dedicated in this space. They don’t however have the same trust as Monzo and remain reliant on retailer relationships.

Afterpay are valued $1,800 per customer, if Monzo adopt a conservative 50% user valuation ($900) it valued this part of their business at $4,500,000.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree, but the key differentiator for me is that all of these things you’ve mentioned are luxury services, not fundamentals like a bank. Everyone’s risk tolerance is different, but when it comes to storing my money I look for protection first and foremost.

Fair point on the going concern issue. But as long as you keep less than the fcsc-protected sum in Monzo, you’re safe whatever happens anyway.

2 Likes

I think Monzo Flex is definitely for you,if it’s protection you want.
“ How are purchases protected? Monzo says returns work just like if you paid with a debit or credit card – money comes back into your account and you can choose to pay back the Flex agreement right away or not. Shoppers using Monzo Flex to pay will also benefit from Section 75 protection. This allows you to make a claim to your credit provider to get your money back if something goes wrong, as long as the price of the goods or services were worth between £100 and £30,000.

2 Likes

Nope, I’ve no confidence in Monzo to do well in the long term so I’ve never invested in them. This obviously means that they’ll become the biggest bank in the world and probably also get a monopoly in Space Cash when we all live on Mars.

Don’t worry, my “pooey Midas touch” hasn’t been anywhere near this.

11 Likes

I get that, but that for me is sort of like saying “Don’t worry if the plane explodes, you have a parachute” when there are plenty of safer planes right there on the tarmac.

Everyone’s situation is different, for me: I have a mortgage and committed spending that I can’t really miss. If my bank goes under and I have to go through a potentially lengthy claims process, I’d rather just mitigate my risk at the source.

I’m not anti-Monzo at all. I was a customer for years, and want them to do well. I just have to do what’s right for me in my personal situation, is all.

3 Likes

I imagine this is going to be used as a big drive to get people to start using Monzo as their main bank account. There’s already a waiting list for the feature and selection is based on “how you use your account” among other things according to a member of staff on their forum.

2 Likes

It’s a way to pull customers that only use the account for online shopping for example
 Like me, To use it more frequently and often
 And then hopefully they use other services monzo offers

I personally don’t like buy now pay later
 But I think it will be a huge market they get with this

1 Like

Have I missed something,I thought the discussion was about a new product feature “Flex”
I can guarantee you 100% that Monzo will not be going under. They are valued at over 1 billion and I would suggest that by next year they will be easily valued over 2 billion.Very worse case scenario would be a takeover. I really don’t see the need to be scaremongering.

He raised valid points, not scaremongering. Poor execution on ‘Flex’ could contribute to Monzo failing.

2 Likes

Oh right,poor execution of course there is every chance they could execute poorly. Knowing Monzo they will execute poorly and fail spectaculary. But Klarna,Curve,Revolut,Square,PayPal etc. will all execute the product offering perfectly :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

And the reason you can guarantee 100% Monzo will not be going under is because you invested in them?

8 Likes

Slightly more substance than that!
As I said above they are valued at £1.2 billion and I believe they will be valued at over 2 billion next year,so in my opinion the worse case scenario is they would be very attractive to a potential takeover.Just to clarify I won’t be commenting anymore on this subject :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I actually have invested in them so am probably biased in their favour but doing my best to be objective. I’m not worried though, if they fail I have a 100% guarantee from you right Jimbob?

1 Like

And also the FSCS up to ÂŁ85,000 if you have more than that then best put it in another bank account :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome back Juno :wave:t2:

17 Likes

This is almost identical to the Tymit credit card product (hit me up for a ÂŁ15 referral!) with 3 months interest free spread on any purchase.

As a Visa card, it has wide acceptance and I am obsessed with it, however having this feature in my Monzo account is also good.

1 Like