Monzo 📱 🏦

I think we found a Revolut investor :laughing:

My mistake re revenue - I misread this quote from TS: “Revenue is now double that of the initial slump in April 2020, and 30% higher than pre-lockdown levels.”

Whilst you bring up Revolut though, their revenue was not up 63%, it was up 34%. Keep the calculator mate :+1: . Revolut also published an “adjusted revenue” that they use to make up valuations on intangible assets like their crypto holdings. See https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/21/revolut-2020-annual-results.html

Additionally, Revolut’s losses grew 57%, outpacing it’s revenue growth. Monzo’s stayed flat.

Re user numbers, Monzo spent £0.5m for all marketing activities for the entire year and gained 1m customers. 25% growth for so little spend is an amazing achievement. Not sure why a comparison is necessary.

17 Likes

Also to add,I wouldn’t trust Revolut’s numbers as far as I could throw them. You make great points @danbeddows

3 Likes

Is that because you invested in Monzo and are completely biased?

Haha calm down, I don’t know who you are.

I’m very calm,thank you.

https://businesscloud.co.uk/monzo-suffers-115m-loss-faces-fca-investigation/

1 Like

Let bring some balance to the proceedings folks :wave::wave::grinning::grinning:

Hi again Juno :wave: !

2 Likes

Get a room people.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of all this waving of tuppences. In my day, we kept that for behind closed doors.

1 Like

Not exactly ‘balance’ is it?

Monzo: The good news is we have strong revenue! The bad news is that we don’t make any profit from it!

Looks good

You can turn back the clock and flex Monzo transactions from the last 14 days…

Soon you’ll also be able to pay directly from Flex, in person and online, using a virtual Flex card. We’re working hard to add this feature as soon as we can.

from Monzo’s flexing a transaction article.

11 Likes

As a Monzo shareholder who’s been wondering if the valuation could head in the right direction this is a good sign.

giphy

7 Likes

Pretty sweet, getting a free loan. Love intertemporal consumption smoothing :smiley:

2 Likes

@CashCow, please tell us you didn’t manage to get any Monzo shares :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

This is the first time I’ve been genuinely excited about a feature in Monzo since Pots were introduced.

This part of Flex is absolutely genius and one of the things that will set it apart from the current BNPL platforms:

Flex it now or later

Need some buffer in your budget? You can turn back the clock and choose to flex an existing Monzo transaction from the last two weeks.

Edit: This also means tht you can get BNPL on things that you buy in person! :exploding_head:

9 Likes

Being able to use this with any retailer could make this the default choice for a lot of people.

4 Likes

I still have serious concerns about their business for the long run though. They are haemorrhaging money, and this feature doesn’t exactly sound like a cash cow for the business as all they are doing is absorbing yet more risk.

6 Likes

Absolute game changer for Monzo,this was a massive feature that Curve pushed in their latest crowdfunding round and it has now been gazumped with a more ethical offering,the same goes for Klarna.
This is a great article

8 Likes