My wife has given up work as I have a little boy who is disabled. I’m worried she doesn’t have a pension so wanting to set her up with a SIPP so she has some money of her own. Was originally thinking of HL, investing in a couple of funds, but now tempted to go with FT and build my own small share portfolio.

If you were in my situation, starting from scratch, is there anything you would invest in in particular? Timescales for investing approx 20 years. I have ETF’s and Investment Trusts in my ISA.

Was thinking about the following possible companies;
Sea Ltd
Johnson & Johnson


You can only contribute what you earn in a tax year or 3,600 (2,880 net) or whichever is greater to get tax relief.

Remember for state pension you need 10 qualifying years to get any state pension (child raising years will count) and 35 to get a full state pension.

Stock picks. I highly recommend the bestofusinvestors chanel on you tube. Choose stocks that will change the way you live. Not household names.
Banking think Square and PayPal not lloyds and HSBC. For cars think tesla not ford. For shops think amazon not Tesco and so on


Id step back one step (perhaps you’ve just not mentioned it here), but you cant set her up with a SIPP, she has to. In that if you set up a SIPP under your name, then its your SIPP not hers. Therefor your money, not hers.

Also the limit @Rollingskies is something you need to consider, as she doesn’t work the £2880 a year is the limit you can put into her pension and receive tax relief.

I’d also be honest and suggest thinking about who the best provider would be. Freetrade is £10 a month which isn’t efficient for low value pension when you set it against something like Vanguard. Unless you believe you can make higher returns than funds Vanguard provide. Worth thinking about (fyi, I plan to move my SIPP to Freetrade eventually from Vanguard when I think ill get sufficient value, which wont be long form now)


Sorry to read about your son. The advantage of a SIPP is the tax contribution on the way in but Ben has mentioned she has to have earned her own money to take advantage of that tax benefit, so unless your wife can take advantage of unused allowance for the past three years you may be better off looking at an ISA. On the ISA as you’ll know there is no tax benefit on the way in but there is also no tax charge on the way out either.

You’ll also need to consider how you manage the pot, whichever wrapper it’s in. I’ve not seen anything from Freetrade on allowing customers to manage other portfolios, maybe it’s not been an issue yet as there is no JISA. Also how actively are you going to invest and will there be regular contributions?

The stocks you mention are likely to continue to do well and may be candidates for a “coffee can” portfolio but I’d be more likely to look at Investment Trusts and fill any gaps from there with specific stocks rather than start with them. I’m also a bit unsure of Paypal as they start to charge a fee for inactive accounts, though that may be more a greed than struggling thing.

Fundsmith, Scottish American, Scottish Mortgage, Worldwide Healthcare, Merchants and the like are decent ITs, though that would need Plus and I’m not sure I’d want to spend the £10 + £7 to get a Plus SIPP in this scenario unless the pot was healthy or being contributed to. £10 for Plus and an ISA may again suit better.

Could be an opportunity for FreeTrade to give discounted products to carers or stay at home parents, would line up nicely with their aim to get more people investing for their future.


Does the previous roll over allowances apply in this situation? If you reach your allowance you can use the unused allowances from the previous 3 years to add extra? Is that allowed in the example above that you’ve mentioned with no income coming in at all?

One must have a pension to have rollover allowance.

If one never had one, one doesn’t have anything to rollover.

And it would be pointless. As rollover allowance can only use current year’s taxable income, not previous years. And there is none, as you said.

1 Like

Correct. Unless you can get your employer or limited company to pay employer contributions

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.