NFTs - Non Fungible Tokens - fad or the future?

I guess ignorance is bliss? I simply can’t wrap my head around this stuff and the more I read the more confused I am. Fair play to those that can grasp this and can make some money from it.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard about NFTs for a while. Prob because the market collapsed. Just bumped into this though:

2 Likes

NFT games being made by, if I’m not mistaken, the ex riot ceo. Also, gme have teamed up with FTX. SBF was recently talking about 1 second settlement stocks which are tokenised.

NFTs will move out of concept and we’ll see clearing houses for games and in game items.

According to a recent FT podcast over 80% of NFT’s are scams

How do they define scam? Either 100% of NFTs are scam or 0%.

Hello 5.8 million new NFT users

What’s 2 orders of magnitude between friends huh?

My number is in reference to GameStop Power Up Rewards members, not existing players already using the NFT based game, friend.

FT have just gone live in Sweden, so that’s 10 million FT users in Sweden is it? That’s a similar leap in logic as what you’ve claimed.

I don’t think it is. Not even close.

GameStop Power Up Rewards program has 5.8 million members from what I can gather.

GameStop is giving each member a redeemable coupon for a free GU NFT card pack.

5.8 million is the figure now. That will undoubtedly grow before 27/09 on this news (from what I’m seeing being posted) so even if this predominantly Gamer based demographic, that is the Power Up Rewards memberships, don’t all redeem then I think we can still safely see 5.0-5.5 million players/sellers of NFT’s. By the time this rolls out I’m sure apps will be available (just browser based atm) and these many millions will easily be able to do this via mobile.

There is some value to the NFT cards, the market will determine that. This will encourage people to play or sell their cards.

1 Like

It is actually 5.8 million after further looking, somewhere in the middle :rofl:

Steam account with $5 million in CSGO skins banned on platform

If only there were a technology that allowed players to fully own their in game assets…

1 Like

How would NFTs help in that scenario? The user’s steam account would still be banned so they might technically own the skins via a receipt on the blockchain but they’d have no way to log in to the game to use them?

I mean I guess you could technically make a marketplace where banned accounts can still trade their assets to another non-banned account, but I can’t see any publisher wanting to do that.

1 Like

To be clear, this article references an account that seemingly cheated for years, which I don’t condone.

You’re right in that it would require support from publishers/studios and rumblings are that a couple of AAA titles are in the works for Gamestop’s market that would support in game assets as NFT’s. I’ll be curious too see how this God’s Unchained NFT pack giveaway to all 5.8mil Gamestop rewards members goes.

I think there could be some life in classic gaming NFT’s but each would have to have similar ecosystems like $GU coin for GU so I’m not sure how that would work. GU does look to be on the decline but games with more to them like Pokemon, Mariokart and Smash Bros for example would fare better imo. The world has waited far too long for $MRIO :rofl:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bandai-namco-sega-among-gaming-giants-eyeing-blockchain-gaming

Play-to-Own: A Web3 Gaming Thesis

If anyone needed convincing NFT’s are the future then look no further than this reliable, successful, stable genius who has never had a failed business and his new venture. :rofl:

PS only said in jest before the defenders react :+1:

4 Likes

Don’t forget Freetrade’s NFT for £10,000 crowdfunders. News of what it does is coming any day!! Any day now… any da since that post on 11th July 2022.

3 Likes

NFT as simple JPEGs and profile pictures are a fad, and there will be some residual value in them due to their importance in history and especially for the first ones which pioneered each chapter.

However long term the underlying technology and essentially the digitisation of memberships/rights/privileges will be where the long-term growth of this area belongs. Investing in the infrastructure and marketplace is a safe way to gain exposure.

I’ll put this in terms of what most could relate to - football matches and season tickets. If your season ticket was an NFT - you owned your seat and right to attend every match. If you can’t attend a match - the NFT could be rented to anyone using a marketplace - after the match, the season pass would be returned. every match could have a ticket as memorabilia - for historic matches which track the journey of a world-class footballer, there could be significant secondary value. VIP box tickets could automatically come with privileges which extend beyond that small window of time. A stadium to raise money could permanently sell off several seats - great for funding and a marketplace for these seats could forever exist in the same mechanics of the season tickets and timeshare - the owners will own a new class of asset which can easily be managed and the stadium would continue to earn a share of the revenue. There are many opportunities within this space.

With everything, you sometimes need to look past the glare on the windscreen… the road is long and there are dangers, but there is a destination to be reached, so pay attention if are in the car, especially if you are driving. When watching the journey, don’t focus on the crashes, learn from them and look for the cars which are managing to navigate.

2 Likes