Note to crowdfunding investors and AMA

Hi Adam, will it be possible to move shares I hold within Computershare onto Freetrade? Iā€™m guessing the answer is no at the moment but is this being considered? Itā€™s for a US stock that you do not have right now but you may in the near future. FYI this is a pain to manage and Iā€™m currently receiving US dividend cheques which I obviously canā€™t cash! Cheers, Alex

1 Like

There are standard investor protections included, and we have adopted new Articles that were approved by A shareholders. The new Articles will be publicly available at Companies House soon - previously we were still using the Model Crowdcube Articles.

On user count, there is actually a great thread on the forum with people sharing their new customer number: How many users now? - #238 by Viktor

3 Likes

Yep! If you check out @anon810895ā€™s link, it is on the Xmas list.

1 Like

Thanks @anon810895 I mustā€™ve missed this when I saw that update. Will make good use of this feature - should result in a lot more transactions

2 Likes

What would you like :freetrade: to look like in 5 years time?

7 Likes

What do you see as Freetradeā€™s biggest challenge going forward?

1 Like

@adam
I completely agree with james here. Freetrade still has huge potential that hasnt been realised yet, although great progress has been made.

I am an early adopter and I havenā€™t transferred my portfolio due to:

1. ISAs being expensive. Most platforms do not charge for ISAs and so I think you should not if you want to realistically compete.
  2. Lack of ETFs and stocks to choose from; I know this will come eventually as it takes time to add these and so obviously large competitors have the upper hand at the moment.

Furthermore many of my friends arent as patient as myself in the signup process and struggled with the following aspects:

1. Transferring funds to freetrade/topping up
  2. Getting their account verified so they can withdraw funds - even I struggled with this.

Personally I think you should definitely tick off feature development before expanding to Europe. Key features in prioritised order in my opinion are:

1. Top up methods
  2. Isa free
  3. Watchlist
  4. Benchmarking
  5. Better graphs

I think once these are complete the platform would be ā€œstickyā€ enough (in the economic sense) to keep customers.

Finally, great to hear about draper esprit! Congrats. What do you plan to do to counteract many platforms offering comission free trading such as etoro and bux?

Thanks!! Keep up the good work. I believe strongly but there is still a fair way to go!

3 Likes

Hi @adam, how many outstanding shares has Freetrade after the investment?

The company filling from august 2019 says there is 49 mil of them:
https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/ocL5BlhL7wfOVjl80XNOQ8CitfKpnT_uWCYMmbkcyeQ/application-pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Credential=ASIAWRGBDBV3ABNBPOPY%2F20191112%2Feu-west-2%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20191112T202307Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-Security-Token=IQoJb3JpZ2luX2VjEPT%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaCWV1LXdlc3QtMiJHMEUCIQCrua%2Bv6rKC6R%2FsbJJOfnFDvTuufOWT2epM%2F6MJLcyjewIgMbcI8PyAT0Z0TXfZdKULE2tYZgpDHrKbjKQHlb6sgwMq0AIIHRACGgw0NDkyMjkwMzI4MjIiDG7gtcUu7rlb3iOWxiqtAiGY33Xn7y3ueNy5itKknG0GSU4%2B1kdOXzyWcwwqiJByQZAiqJCLZ02Rv4xYHH3zWGHt9u4mxG1pkDH%2BzXv95khyHtqHAmeBisc4t1cIPs2krGUdLUCBFl05ENv2ej%2B3jCtY2UMPTgdYxyGA0Dxjx0hkmEc%2FpsAYiWFN2FQYacI9DS3kkPOL2xXF68L8kQrfoOKtd7dxxrRGtWq8ibThSuNk5%2Bi4ezjrwYUQMhXKq4%2Flbld8tjwT5ZA0eii9uoOBAIDt6ymc7LHK0zZxJ93CqEp0AHE6b%2B%2FwI0Blje5xlDwgwWeNXDqa3cdLkLzQt4jjKSMQNkF32lW2lhDQTeLdYCWTtgMwZCuZjJc5qbBWZzH6qEawV66TvNCTDKees0i7P%2FGFRt%2BIDdgjvxdun0EwrY6s7gU6zwLKw5x2bW%2FSCsssXsT3tb%2BYVXI1Zgodnavc4UlIsWqV%2Fb%2F6MOGU2KlSVXomdpDa%2FgEaITR7mQM6px5O%2FaSmtodQszOFBuM9b3MxCdb7gI8PRUj8Gw%2FQ2ph2gjKiYrWHca8des5%2B9fw30KCCvkPgIHJ0Y%2Btwf5H71UrBwi2uiRGeVqhgILu%2BGbZQEUBvE8Svy9xG6p2a3idvyWbrH24SxBSVVcezLJuPiPtzNPpb3l4LvgcTtFiksMwZtUzZhD%2BfOdDZQ63s7E690cYTjv3GovSmbhLo74OQ25gee7gSZGDIb%2Br60UbK1yBfgP2KVpW6tOjNW37Ugyx%2FC1TXADhTOIYEoeViVi3gOt%2BuFR4yeojDfCLs3HKPUTqAJx3uv6esGXIAtjdGj5zLYJqxdpvKeNAF9A4llM%2BdMNa7L12KPTiYCuQ8pD0Ec9rY4KllXtuhzg%3D%3D&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=7b8b756356c7c7fd962bfd2b09a88eeae19f8ce0c358cca379a730bfef03272c

Thank you,

Martin

1 Like

So good you forgot it was called Freetrade :wink:

c. 55 million once fully completed.

Weā€™re focused on growing the business and developing our tech - the valuation will follow if we execute well.

4 Likes

Yes, the full Articles will come out in due course on companies house. Not everything will be made public though. Draper has certain ā€˜consent mattersā€™ which I would call investor protections. Eg we canā€™t sell the company without their consent. As a crowdfunding investor, Iā€™d be happy to see the additional structure around corporate governance, but I hope you understand why putting everything out to the public sphere wouldnā€™t be appropriate.

3 Likes

Paul, thatā€™s a big question!

Right now, our product is not designed for someone like your friend. Itā€™s a utility for someone that knows what they want to invest in. That will change over time, as we build out new features to help new investors.

The association of investing with gambling is a tougher one. Especially when you have shady CFDs brokers mixing the two wilfully, or ā€˜investingā€™ apps stateside that are really just trying to get you into leverage.

Weā€™re in it for the long fight though. This round will help us take the first steps towards education and getting Freetradeā€™s voice out there.

5 Likes

This is a question best asked through the app to our wonderful customer support team.

But no, we canā€™t transfer shares to your Freetrade account if we donā€™t support those securities in our universe.

The dominant investment platform in Europe.

15 Likes

Keeping focused and executing on our vision. Biggest challenge right now is making everyone that invests already aware that Freetrade is the best option out there. After that itā€™s convincing everyone else that investing is something they should do too.

2 Likes

@adam

What tidbits can you share about the upcoming Alpha accounts? Any features you can tell us about now?

Sorry but thatā€™s absolute nonsense. Ā£3/mo for an ISA with no trading commissions or custody charge is not expensive.

Youā€™ll be really pleased with the Xmas list of features (except the free ISA :sweat_smile:)

Build a better product and overall experience for our customers. We donā€™t have a monopoly on not charging commissions and yes we are seeing some clones. Weā€™ll just keep running fast on product and build the world-leading tech behind what makes Freetrade special.

7 Likes

Thanks - I have no issues with additional corporate governance controls. Much more concerned about clauses like the 18% compound guarantee that BrewDog offered to TSG. Am assuming from what you have said that there isnā€™t anything similar to this?

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes