NS&I Premium Bonds

Consider yourself lucky then, the odds are clear for everyone to see and those returns are way above average.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking at this as an alternative. Be interested to know what others are looking at, or what people think of this.

It pays some interest (BoE base rate) and gives better odds but on smaller prizes. Top prize is Ā£50k, i.e. much less than the Premium Bondā€™s top prize. An annoying restriction is that, ā€œEach bond requires a deposit of Ā£10,000 exactlyā€, so Iā€™m going to have a about Ā£7k left to put somewhere.

Anyone know is the MSE Premium Bond calculator has been updated? As posted by @PigeonStrangler originally. If youā€™re doing above the odds on Premium Bonds, you should expect to return to mean eventually.

Thatā€™s not a bad shout but at least Ernie isnā€™t going to phone you in the middle of the night to tell you his boiler isnā€™t working.

4 Likes

Well, good to see that my premium bonds are unaffected by the Covid-19 chaos! :grin:

8 Likes
3 Likes

The prize win ratio has decreased to 1% but still a great place for your emergency fund.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just made my first investment in premium bonds. I know the average return is pretty poor, but Iā€™m looking at it a bit like buying 25 recurring lottery tickets that I can get refund for when I need the cash.

I might just buy a few now and again when I feel like it.

Do others hold premium bonds here and has anyone found it worth while? Anyone sold out disappointed with their return?

1 Like

I have Ā£250 worthā€¦and add an extra 25 once on a while.

Like you say, a free lotrery ticket (less inflation).

Check results every month and theres always a few winners that hold Ā£2 worth from 1974 or somethingā€¦so its small and fun punt.

Ill probably stop adding once i get to about Ā£500 or so - rather invest elsewhere but its a bit of fun checking the numbers once a month.

1 Like

Before I purchased my property, I put Ā£50k in there. I used to win semi-regularly probably because the high amount gave me more chances to win. Not really worth putting less than that in I donā€™t think.

2 Likes

I have invested Ā£1000 last month. No luck :pensive:.
Like @1anrs said, the more money you have the more likely you are of winning anything. The odds are against people with small amounts. I have a fried that says that he pretty much wins every month, but i suspect that he is close if not already on the Ā£50k.

Have another one that received 5k in July, not sure how much he has in the bonds.

From what I have seen online (from YouTube creators and other untrusted sources), values below 10k are probably below the average yield, and so you would be better off on a fixed rate savings account.

3 Likes

Thanks all. Yes, I guess your odds increase considerably the more you have. I understand that many people have been selling their bonds - so of course that helps those who are in it, to win it!

For me itā€™s a bit of a punt with some spare cash. Iā€™ll let you know if I win anything. My first draw is October - which is a bit cheeky!

Here is a Premium Bonds calculator from Martin Lewes. I am feeling luckier than that though :wink:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator

2 Likes

I have quite a bit less than half the maximum and have had them for 4 to 5 years for the 1st two years I did better than the average suggests I should have done. Last year was quite poor only Ā£100 I have already had Ā£250 this year including two Ā£100 prizes. Always the chance of a significant prize is the attraction.

3 Likes

The bulk of my premium bonds was also used towards a house deposit. Less than half the max but I think I used to get small wins about 5-6 times a year.

Nowadays, the bit I have left (a few thousand) forms part of my emergency funds.

I donā€™t see it as an investment, just cash that gives me the chance of winning a million each month (one can dream of a visit from Agent Million :grin:)

Extremely low odds of ever winning a big amount of course but at least my capital is safe (though not safe from inflation).

I have the app to check to see if Iā€™ve won.

2 Likes
1 Like