Passive Investors - ETF Portfolio Discussion

Thanks @NeilB I found this thread off the other one where everybody was listing their position percentages and you referenced this thread. Reading through that thread and noticing the “average” number of positions people holds, I realised I am taking the piss big time buying 1 share here, 2 there, another one here for no real reason other than name recognition and them being around for quite some time so it is unlikely they’ll go bust. I’m embarrassed to admit that I soon had a list just shy of 70 for a total amount of just over 3300 quid.

Your comments stood out then I also thought of a snippet of a Warren Buffet speech about the punch card and I realised I have to get my act together, cut my losses and scale back to no more than 20 max.

Also considering upgrading to plus on the 1st Feb (so billing is same time as other direct debits on 1st of each month, but then again I wonder is it has any benefit paying a tenner a month with relation to my “low” amount invested.

To complicate my thoughts even further I have no ISA and and are well aware of how important and beneficial it is to get one. Add to that I have so many overlapping ETF’s (your comments ringing in my ears again :wink: ). I have a bias towards Vanguard so have a lot of them, but also in duplicate. Meaning distribution as well as accumulating eg, I have vukg, vuke, vwrl, vwrp, vuag, vusa, verx, veur, not forgetting vuta and vuty and a few others…

To cut a long story short, I want to cut my losses and start afresh with a smaller, well balanced portfolio. As of this moment I am down to 61

1 Like

@NeilB you are too kind.

2 Likes

Everyone gets carried away and buys stuff that weeks later you’ve forgotten your rational behind it. One tip when it comes to trimming stuff down is to think about what each one is doing there. My pension for instance has some $T & $GLAD that don’t fit my overall ETF thesis but I like the idea of the income paying for the management fee.

I too have a bias towards vangaurd. I don’t really know why they had my pension before it was actually cheaper at @:freetrade: , they feel like the good guys.

I went ISA, SIPP then Plus. Getting the ISA might be the fresh start your looking for, then you can sell everything get over the emotional attachments before making considered purchases in your new shiny ISA. Having too many stocks means you can’t keep up with the news and you’re spread so thin. For me 10 - 15 works okay.

3 Likes

Hi Guys,

Thought I’d jump in on this as I’m also concentrating on 80%(ish) ETFs. At the moment I’m currently:-

FTSE North America (VNRT) 30%
FTSE Dev Eur ex UK (VERX) 9.2%
FTSE Emerging Markets (VFEM) 7.4%
FTSE100 (ISF) 7%
APAC Ex Japan (VAPX) 4.7%
FTSE Japan (VJPN) 3.8%
MSCI India (IIND) 2.2%

MSCI World Small Cap (WLDS) 6.4%

Realty Income ($0) 14.2%

Global Clean Energy (INRG) 2.3%

Individual Stocks (Pod Point, Molten Ventures, Kanabo Group) account for 12.1% combined
Cash 0.6%

Current thoughts are to increase VNRT and WLDS in terms of holding % and keep property (Realty) at around 15%

1 Like

Any thought of adding EQJS - Nasdaq Next Gen 100 to the core portfolio?

SWDA - iShares Core MSCI World UCITS ETF USD (Acc)
IWFQ- iShares Edge MSCI World Quality Factor UCITS ETF (Acc)
CNX1 - iShares Nasdaq 100 UCITS ETF (Acc)
VWRP - Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF (USD) Accumulating
VUAG -Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF (USD) Accumulating

VEMT - Vanguard USD Emerging Markets Government Bond
WIGG - iShares Fallen Angels High Yield Corporate Bond UCITS ETF GBP Hedged (Dist)

Hi guys, this is my current SIPP portfolio. I’m early 30s, so looking at 30 odd years:

SYMBOL NAME WEIGHTING CHARGES
VUAG Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF 35.0% 0.07%
SMT Scottish Mortgage 7.5% 0.56%
VEVE Vanguard FTSE Developed World 7.5% 0.12%
VNRT Vanguard FTSE North America 7.5% 0.10%
JEF Jefferies 7.5% 0.45%
EQQQ Invesco Nasdaq 100 5.0% 0.30%
IASH iShares MCSI China 5.0% 0.40%
SGLN Physical Gold 5.0% 0.15%
V3AM Vanguard ESG Global 5.0% 0.24%
IIND iShares MCSI India 5.0% 0.65%
VJPN Vanguard FTSE Japan 5.0% 0.15%
VAGP Vanguard Global Aggregate Bond 2.5% 0.10%
INXG iShares Indexed Linked Gilts 2.5% 0.10%
BABA AliBaba 1.0% 0.45%
VEIL Vietnam Enterprise Investments 1.0% 2.11%

Would love some feedback on this. As @NeilB mentioned above, the rationale behind a lot of this has been forgotten and aware there will be some overlap. I bought in ate a bad time at the late end of last year so I’m down by >10% in space of 2 months. I’m aware there are a few that aren’t ETFs (SMT, BABA, VEIL). Also, I’ve been having difficulty having someone ‘professionally’ review this (for instance, Unbiased could not provide a financial advisor :man_shrugging:t2:, if anyone has any ideas then I’d love to hear that also.

4 Likes

Any particular reason? The allocations you have are reasonable.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say EQJS fits into a “Core” of a portfolio. It’s definitely a satellite holding which usually have lower weightings.

Good stuff, I’m not a professional and not able to give advice but a couple of things to think about:

As you note there’s a lot of overlap especially between S&P500, Developed, North America. You don’t have much other developed world in there (Europe, APAC) so you could consider just using Developed World to get all that exposure in one go.

You’ve got China, India separate with high charges - unless you really dislike the other emerging markets you could look at an emerging markets fund to simplify and reduce cost.

I personally don’t love gold for a 30 year horizon, it’s a non-productive asset so I struggle to see how it can keep up. For short term I think it makes a lot of sense and it can (and often does) win out, but a lot has to go wrong in the world for it to beat companies that produce something every year for 3 decades while it sits there.

5 Likes

Thanks @Cameron. This is timely, as Gold’s the only thing in there in green at the minute so may sell :joy:

1 Like

Overall it seems like you have most geographies covered however you could maybe consolidate your ETFs.
VUAG, VEVE, VNRT and EQQQ are very much weighted to USA Mega Cap tech and are heavily overlapping.
In my portfolio I’ve gone down the route of using VEVE and EM to keep things simple. If you want to stick to selecting your own country weightings then I wouldn’t see a need for VEVE and V3AM in your portfolio.

Given your time horizon I don’t think bonds or gold add to your portfolio unless used “tactically”. This would mean you think gold is going offer some protection if you believe equity was to crash imminently. With interest rates likely to rise both asset classes have strong headwinds.

Just saw Cameron posted but I mostly echo his thoughts

4 Likes

I chose to go with VNRT & ignored VUAG. I wanted global exposure and VUAG is very big tech heavy. While that’s the point of VUAG it made me feel a little in easy

1 Like

Not a bad portfolio. There is quite a bit of overlap. I am assuming that you have done that on purpose?

It is difficult to give “advice”: after all I have my own biases and I am not a financial advisor. My biases suggest to me that your North America mix could do with some consolidation. At this stage you should regard SMT as primarily North America too (with a some juicy Chinese stocks). Nasdaq 100 has traditionally outperformed the S&P 500 but but this is because technology did not come into its own until more recently (as far as the S&P 500 is concerned) and now S&P 500 takes this “re-weighting” into account. So in a nutshell you might be overweighting your portfolio in US tech. Which is fine so long as you realise it.

JEF is an interesting choice. I guess you want a financial service play here. I really don’t know much about this org so need to keep mum.

Japan? You know that after the US the second largest weighted country in VEVE is Japan? It is making me wonder if you need VEVE … perhaps you need exposure to Europe specifically instead? Alternatively you might be happy with Japan in VEVE so no need for VJPN.

2 Likes

I was thinking of getting to VNRT up to approx 35-40% (Currently 30%) and WLDS up to approx 10% of total portfolio (currently 6.4%) but I am generally happy currently with the holdings I have and their weighting

Interesting to see that they seem to move very similarly, are you foreseeing change going FW?

It wanted exposure to Mexico & Canada.

Hi pal may i ask why you went for csp1(s&p) over iusa or similiar,its very expensive, is their a big difference,sorry if i sound brand new its because i am.:rofl:also would you always prefer acc to dis in funds like this,im guessing compound interest doesnt work the same on distributing funds or am i wrong?cheers mate.

I actually swapped to VNRT soon after that to get a slightly wider range. There isn’t a big difference IUSA seems like a fine option.

I prefer accumulating because it’s less admin (no need to manually reinvest dividends). Distributing finds can still give compounding growth (growth on growth) but if you don’t reinvest dividends then this will be reduced.

Does the vnrt have all the s&p500 in it but just includes some canadian firms is that right and us that why you switched,thanks a lot for quick response.