Please explain this loss calculation

I am confused about whatā€™s just happened on my freetrade account and if anyone could clear it up Iā€™d be really grateful. This might come across as very stupid but I am new to this and have completely regretted investing this money. Iā€™m not here for pep talks, I just want to understand whatā€™s happened. So hereā€™s what happened.

I had Ā£6000 invested at an average price of 80p and 7410 shares.
The SP over the last year has dwindled down to 11p. (Yes Iā€™m absolutely gutted, but prepared to sit and wait for my money back).
Today I bought Ā£200 worth which brought my average down to 66p and took my shares up to 9238.
Later on in the day, I made sure the SP hadnā€™t gone down since I bought (the value had actually gone up Ā£5) and then sold the same amount of shares I bought earlier and put it in something else.
For some reason, I now have an even lower avg price at 59p, but instead of my investment gain/loss saying -Ā£5200, it now says -Ā£3594.
So have I just lost Ā£1500? Why hasnā€™t it just sold the 1828 shares I bought earlier on in the day?

Iā€™m absolutely fuming and Iā€™ve no idea what to do. I feel like Iā€™ve basically just traded Ā£1500 for Ā£200. I feel sick :frowning:

You would have sold your shares not from the last batch you bought but from the first batch which would of changed your average as well.

Was your first batch of shares you bought in whatever company at a higher price? Then you continued to buy at a lower price so then when you sold the higher priced shares you lowered your average.

What stock is it? did you check the bid/ask spread? This doesnā€™t show on Freetrade so you need to double check on somewhere like Yahoo finance

Edit: maybe Iā€™m confused what you are asking, are you saying the value of your portfolio went down Ā£1500 or is it just the average price you donā€™t understand?

Iā€™m guessing it could well be ODX.

Did you invest the original Ā£6k in one batch? Sounds like you could have bought in initially at a different price levels which impacts your average every time you sell some.
I donā€™t use the FT cost average as I swing trade some stocks but maintain a long term holding also and it can massively skew your gain/loss.
Remember itā€™s FIFO (first in first out) when they determine the cost of the shares that you sell.

Yeah itā€™s FIFO, support explained it to me last night. Absolutely f***ed it. I feel so stupid. Bought Ā£200 worth then sold it not long after but itā€™s obviously sold my 80p shares at 11p. Gutted. Might aswell have just thrown Ā£1500 down the drain

2 Likes

You havenā€™t lost any money, though? Your average share price doesnā€™t look any better, but the value of the shares you hold has not been impacted.

1 Like

Why does that matter? surely itā€™s the overall value of all the shares that matters?

FIFO is just a tax thing. In reality one share is exactly the same as another. There are no 80p shares any more. they are all worth the same

5 Likes

From a tax point of view it is not FIFO as far as the HMRC rules are concerned. In the UK it is primarily an average calculation.

See

is true

1 Like

Isnā€™t the FIFO for tax calculations if youā€™ve bought and sold within 30 days?

Tbh I donā€™t know much about CGT rules. Iā€™ve never needed to pay it :rofl:

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter which shares they sold. Your overall holding is the same. Yeah, itā€™s a bummer theyā€™ve lost so much value, but the calculations youā€™re referencing are completely meaningless in regards to the current value.

1 Like

No it does though. The Ā£200 purchase at 11p brought my average down from 80p to 66p. I sold the Ā£200 and then my average dropped further to 59p and the value of my portfolio went down about Ā£1500 to total Ā£4400, when obviously Iā€™ve invested a total of just over 6k. I think thatā€™s right? Sorry Iā€™m just really confused lol

Are you sure about that? How did the value of you portfolio go down Ā£1500 if you only sold Ā£200 worth?

This is why Iā€™m very confused.
Previously, it said
investment gain/loss.

Current value
Ā£820

So around the 6k mark.

Now after selling the Ā£200 I bought at 11p, it now says
-Ā£3500
Gain/loss

Current value
Ā£820.

The Ā£200 I sold is just in my account atm.

Yes, you are right. The 30 day rule ā€œintervenesā€. This is why I said

and the OP seemed to be talking about a period longer than 30 days. Also of course it is not necessarily just bought and sold ā€¦ it could be sold and bought. For example if I have 4000 shares bought on 3 Jan and I sell 200 on 3 June but within 30 days buy 350 ā€¦ 200 of those I buy get ā€œcaughtā€. Yup CGT can get complicated.

1 Like

The current value hasnā€™t changed, so you havenā€™t lost anything (apart from the loss in share price)

Itā€™s just that average calculation has changed

Look at it this way, If they went back to ~80p youā€™d still have the full Ā£6K

2 Likes

Right ok got it. That makes it simpler to understand. Well thatā€™s a bit of a relief I guess. Thank you all.

Having the name of the stock would be nice

2 Likes

Riiiiiiiight

I have found average Ā£ price of share is changed after selling some shares of my Novavax holdings .

I have purchased total 16 shares of Novavax at different time and rate . Then sold 9 of the shares on 5th Aug . After selling of 9 shares the Average Ā£ share price changed from Ā£131 to Ā£114 for remaining 7 shares .

Wondering why average price changed on selling of partial shares of total holding ? Suddenly shows my appreciation on remaining share from 32% to 48%.

Details of transactions and screenshot of remaining shares holding .

P.S Alongs with me , many has raised for average stock price is native currency. This is essentially must future , without it cause sheer pain .

2 Likes