Price check obsession

Started investing on 10th Feb. I’ve checked portfolio prices approximately 15 times a day since then. How do I stop? Or should I just accept that’s my life from now on?

10 Likes

We’re all guilty of it. It can be stressful when starting out but after a few peaks and troughs you will realise there is nothing YOU can do. Keep investing regularly and take advantage of any major drops. A diversified fund/portfolio will help you feel more comfortable

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with this.

Splitting your funds into say 60 different stocks is a lot easier on the mind :grin: and in my opinion, better in the long run too. The chances of one stock dropping into the reds is quite high but when you’ve got 60… that risk is reduced quite abit.

Check out this thread and the excel document

1 Like

Managing 60 stocks and the due diligence required sounds like a nightmare. Even some of the huge trusts with a team of people don’t have more than 30 or so companies :smile:

12 Likes

Only 15 times a day? You’re doing well.

13 Likes

Stick them in an ISA and forget about them lol. Long game :slightly_smiling_face:

Find a company that you’re content with.

I don’t check GGP, only everything else I’m invested in :joy::joy::joy:

Not without your due diligence on each stock x 60 and review of each company periodically. You wouldn’t just buy a company and forget about them for 10 years. What if they change ownership? Or change direction? Or get mixed up in some crien?

Pick one or two that you can actually keep track of and then diversify though a reputable and trustworthy ETF or trust IMO

It’s just so exciting!!!
The other problem I have is resisting the temptation to chase every stock recommendation I read (and I’m reading a lot). I think I’m doing ok so far with a reasonably diverse range of stocks (considering I only started 10 days ago) that I have formed my own opinions about and managing to keep my fingers away from the trigger so far.

4 Likes

Will power :smile:

I wouldn’t worry about it. You’re going to do that initially I think. What you shouldn’t do it make in the moment decisions.

If a stock is going down and your worried, that’s a good time to ask why your worried? And if your worried why did you buy the stock in the first place? And does that reason still apply?

Otherwise stop looking on the weekend, then stop looking on one of the other days of the week

1 Like

It’s almost as if it’s me writing these posts, I’m also a new boy this month and you seem to be my twin.

1 Like

Don’t get trigger finger itchy with the sell button either

1 Like

Yes I was obsessed with my stocks in the beginning, I actually thought I was the only one lol :laughing: nice to know I wasn’t lol. I think investing is easier when you are less emotional

Now I spend more time reading news about my investment trusts / stocks and the UK / US / Chinese market for more perspective . I find yahoo finance, the guardian and the stocks app useful.

6 Likes

Never had a problem when I was in work but I think WFH makes it more tempting.

6 Likes

Yep another new investor here. Constantly checking price and the threads on here of the stocks and funds

I check GGP obsessively and neglect everything else :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well Dave, it’s possible - if you’re 60 on the outside and 20 on the inside :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am approximately half way between both of those numbers :expressionless:

1 Like

I’m a middle-aged woman with kids, and I thought your 15 count was very conservative.

8 Likes

Good enough!