When to stop buying a particular stock

Hi
I am new to stocks and shares and have only been investing since February of this year. I havevalready bought some funds and shares in a few online DIY and Robo brokers.
However I want to use Freetrade as my main shares account. I was wondering though that when you have bought shares in a particular company is there a golden rule to stop adding to those shares when the price goes above a certain percentage to what you initially paid for them?
As I am 50 I am looking to have a portfolio that will provide growth and income. I will be reinvesting all my dividends for hopefully the next 8 to 10 years.

1 Like

No, there is no rule. But I would advise you to look into investing in ETFs instead of stocks given your risk profile.

1 Like

Yeah I have been looking at the ETF on Freetrade but not settled on anything yet. Need to set aside some money for them.
But i have also got money in Passive funds, Gold, Whiskey, ISA and Bonds, crowdfunding, peer to peer. Plus I have a relatively good Pension.
So Freetrade is the other side of my sensible safe investing.

1 Like

The “rule” depends on the reason you bought in the first place, strategy. An investment can grow 1% or even 1000% by the time your buy criteria changes

1 Like

Yeah good point. I think I am going to crack on with adding to my shares because at the end of the day it is investment for 10 years and not months.
So my portfolio so far is:
Centamin
Aviva
DS Smith
Avast
Ibstock
Cineworld
The Gym Group
JD Sports
Legal and General
Standard Life
Pearson
Standard Chartered
Renewable infrastructure
BP
ITV
Britvic
Sirius Minerals
Vodafone
Lloyds
Stagecoach
Royal Mail

I am going to add some ETF to the list and possibly Burberry, iRobot, Bank of America and Paypal.

From my research it seems having around 20 to 30 stocks is seen as the norm and easier to control.

The easiest thing to control would be buying a global index tracker. I would recommend reading Smarter Investing by Tim Hale.

1 Like

Thank you I will look out for that

There isn’t a golden rule unfortunately and the price you are willing to pay for a stock should be based on research and the company’s valuations rather than purely on the return of the stock since it entered your portfolio.

One thing to keep an eye out though, is the weight of the stock in your portfolio. If the weight of any stock becomes too high then you might want to consider reducing your exposure or stop adding to those shares as it will increase the risk profile of your portfolio.

2 Likes