Robinhood Goes Down: Shut Down...Again!

Looks like not only Robin Hood’s site is having outtages.

This just now.

Can happen to ANY platform 

the infamous S3 outage:

During the outage, the dashboard embarrassingly showed all services running green, because the dashboard itself was dependent on S3.

:rofl:

Can hear Ian go: “this is why we use GCP.” @Ian

1 Like
1 Like

Could the same thing happen to Freetrade in the future and what technology do both companies use. Can anyone enlighten me.

IG was down for about 30 minutes this morning just as the market opened. Very poor timing

2 Likes

Ugh that’s horrible for Robinhood and brokers generally.

2 Likes

Does that mean they went down again today?

All good: https://status.robinhood.com/

The US markets opened 17 mins ago.

It means people are reporting issues.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-16/robinhood-outages-show-perils-of-move-fast-and-break-things

1 Like

On March 2, Robinhood’s platform went dark for the full trading day as U.S. stocks surged. The outage spurred some clients to abandon the platform. The number of account transfers from Robinhood to a major competitor rose almost 300% after that date, compared to the average number of users that switched a year earlier, according to data obtained by Bloomberg News.

1 Like

Fahim Mortazavi, 35, a Miami-Dade County firefighter and Robinhood client since 2017, said he has a $56,000 account. He had set up a trade for call options on the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust before markets opened on March 2. He said they would have made him $28,000, but he was unable to execute the transaction. The next morning, he was locked out again as he tried to buy put options, an order he said would have netted $69,000.

Mortazavi imagined himself using the money for new windows and a bathroom in his house.

It was “the trade of my lifetime that never happened,” Mortazavi said. “I sat there swiping and swiping, having a nervous breakdown.”

Could this happen to Freetrade in future or are they using a better system infrastructure??

Freetrade is ideal for Long term investors.
I would say the stock market is ideal for long term investing.

2 Likes

Mental
 Why dafuq are firefighters trading options? One way ticket to bankrupt city.

2 Likes

Ok I get it,Freetrade is not targeting not set up for “Live Time Trading” so it’s infrastructure should I think be more secure and stable.

They’ve said a couple of times they won’t be doing options trading (CFD’s), so this particular scenario won’t be replicated.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: All orders getting rejected this morning

Keep it to the above thread so Freetrade can alert when resolved.

well this is awkward

I just had my post moved out of this thread but wanted it here because I was thinking the same thing.