Sell or hold?

My GIA is my riskier account

I think for riskier account, instead of investing in individual stock, you could have fun with 3x S&P 500 or 3x total world. It amplifies daily movement of the index.

Both are solid companies. it’s. best to hold them and average down if you don’t need a cash. I am in the same position as you but I have got other companies in my portfolio.

That’s the problem when you invest in something based on feelings. When the investment goes down you are in uncharted waters.

As you don’t have a clear idea and a plan for the stock, the whole situation becomes out of your control.

That’s why imo you should take a step back and maybe recuperate before starting any new positions. And going forward start positions only with a clear goal in your mind. Make sure you research a company well, their management team, where the company is going and at what price would you be willing to get into it.

Then you evaluate your stock performance based on that rather than the stock price. Is the company headed where you think they are headed? Is the management team executing the way you think they should be executing? Hope you get my point.

I actually sold an entire portfolio back in the days maybe a year after starting out mainly because of those reasons. I was in uncharted waters with my positions, so I decided to start from scratch with a serious, long-term mentality.

I used to run a blog trying to follow this journey and made one post about how to build one that might actually be useful for new users out here. Feel free to remove it if you will, but hope it can help some newer investors out there.

Exactly my thinking. It’s a lesson that I will not forget!

I think my main concern about these companies is that if I were to average down am I still going to keep losing money considering how much I’ve lost on them already? I have got other companies in my portfolio that I feel more confident about and my ISA in particular is doing well, so I’m thinking of cutting my losses and just topping up either other companies within my GIA or adding to my ISA

The best thing you can do is take the lesson, then make the decision (either way) based on what you think is best from the research you’ve done.

You’ll get a lot of terrible advice on online forums. Particularly when it comes to individual stocks.

Think a lot of it depends on how much you invested (relative to your value of money - £1k means a different thing to all of us) make your next decision calmly and not emotionally.
If you believe the money will do you good elsewhere sell up and aim for a better return.

Cool, I do really appreciate each and every response from you all. I think I have some thinking to do :eyes:

Not advising copied Bill Ackman in everything he does but today his company Pershing Square cut a $400m loss on Netflix after just 3 months. He would have done deep research before buying Netflix - when the data changes you should change.

1 Like

He should fire a couple of analysts if they can’t predict what’s going to happen after a quarter.

I find the % performance of an asset in a portfolio is a completely useless number to me. I try not to look at it and I’d turn it off if there were an option on whatever platform I was viewing it on. It doesn’t help me to know if something is up or down since buying it and I try not to allow glowing red or blue numbers to affect my trading decisions.

I would rather regularly re-evaluate how much weight I would like to have in each asset in a portfolio and look at how much I have invested in each asset at this moment in time, as a % of the portfolio.

Looking at it this way tends to nudge you towards buying dips and taking profits, but if your re-evaluation of the assets changes the weighting you want to give them then it is not always the case.

Don’t let a big red -50% make you feel bad about an investment and want to sell it to get rid of that bad feeling. If it’s still a good investment then I’d pump it back up to where it was in percentage terms of my portfolio.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.