Should Freetrade use Crowdcube or Seedrs for the next crowdfunding round?

Youā€™re right on your observation. And I think itā€™s in line with what I was trying to say.

According to the comments above crowdcube charges a 1.5% fee on the investment and seedrs charges a 7.5% fee on profits when one sells.

Example1:

Investment of Ā£100 with future sale at Ā£200

Crowdcube
Ā£1.5 fee

Seedrs
Ā£7.5 fee

Example 2:

Investment of Ā£1000 with future sale at Ā£4000

Crowdcube
Ā£15 fee

Seedrs
Ā£225 fee

Is this difference worth moving to seedrs just to have access to a secondary market?
I donā€™t think so.

As for the safety of our holdings I donā€™t know what to say.

Thanks for noticing that btw

5 Likes

Iā€™ve invested in around 45 companies now via Crowdcube and Seedrs and Iā€™d take Crowdcube any day of the week. I paid Seedrs 7.5% on exit and that was painful. In terms of due diligence, are people still upset about Sugru because Iā€™ve lost plenty via Seedrs?

10 Likes

As an example:

Ā£10K investment 5x.

10 grand @1.5% fee = Ā£150

40K profit @ 7.5% fee = Ā£3K (pretty hefty)

Investing in a start-up is already risky, so why I should I give 7.5% of my profits to a firm that didnā€™t take any risk at all?

If a start-up goes bust, be it Crowdcube or Seedrs, you get nothing (letā€™s aside EIS loss relief for the sake of this discussion).

9 Likes

Personally, I might not be a huge fan of the way that CC operates at times, but for the sake of keeping all of my Freetrade investments in a single place then I think that Iā€™d prefer it this round was run via CC.

Matt

9 Likes

Looks like Iā€™m in the minority here, though still glad to have started the debate.

5 Likes

Donā€™t care really as long as I get to invest :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Quite right. Both Seedrs and Crowdcube could be better at managing their stakeholders, longer term this might lead to them losing out to either each other or a new entrant. The lack of updates from some companies is shocking, how much time does it take to do a quarterly update?

3 Likes

Probably an unpopular opinion but I believe the sole responsibility for due dilligence should be on the investor, much less so on the platform. Both crowdcube and seedrs are very high risk forms of investing anyway, but that is what leads to opportunities for big returns. As far as I can tell crowdcube provide plenty of ways to contact the entrepreneurs via email or telephone if you have further questions about the pitch, if you donā€™t like what you see, donā€™t invest in that company!

Iā€™m not going to start blaming Freetrade if I make a poor investment on their platform!

12 Likes

Agreed, most businesses are terrible at communicationā€¦ It is one of the major reasons I wonā€™t invest in a second round - if you wonā€™t communicate with your investors then I struggle to see how you will manage your customers. Seedrs and Crowdcube are as bad as each other in managing this.

In saying that there are some great companies who put effort into communicating with investors and so far these companies have been my most successful.

3 Likes

Personally I vote for free trade to facilitate crowd funding through their own platform without either crowd cube or seedrs but granted thatā€™s easier said than done and far more important things for the team to be working in than a new compliance point. Just my thoughts. BTW I have investments in both other platforms

9 Likes

I think in reality although monzo were able to do it on their platform I think (possibly maybe) they had crowdcube back them up on the process.

3 Likes

The reason companies use Crowdcube or Seedrs is to avoid having hundreds or thousands of shareholders with the administrative overhead that brings. Instead they deal with Seedrs or Crowdcube who manage those elements on the companyā€™s behalf. Iā€™d rather any spare admin or development cycles were spent on the main product to be honest.

5 Likes

On the other hand, youā€™d hope that Freetrade were really good and efficient at tracking shareholders :wink:

4 Likes

My current star player Solar 350 removed their pitch from Crowdcube early in the campaign and set up their own. I invested directly with them. I did it over the phone and via email but now they have a platform with a couple of other companies on

I would like most of the funding to be restricted to those who had early faith. I am not an original 1sr round investor but we all know we get watered down even if itā€™s for great expansion. I think and hope that investors (I know bonus shares are a long way away!!) are rewarded at least by giving them option to retain their holding . Without us free trade wouldnā€™t be going anywhere. Can you offer all investors rights to buy say up to 4 times original investment and then second round 2 times to mop up remaining?

Seedrsā€™ 7.5% fee on gains is analogous to hedge fund performance fees - they take a hefty cut from the substantial upside while investors are exposed to 100% of the downside!

7 Likes

Iā€™m very surprised at the preference for Crowdcube over Seedrs here having used both extensively.

I have a major preference for Seedrs as think the secondary market and community is worth the potential fee. Itā€™s 7.5% of gains so interests are aligned, and if you are making diversified investments likely to be less than the Crowdcube charge.

2 Likes

What youā€™re looking for does exist but is only available to those who have invested in Seedrs.

Sorry for the ambiguity. If you own shares in the company Seedrs. It is exactly the same as any other investor forum on the platform but obviously there is more activity and discussion than most since itā€™s about the functionality etc.

Ok, Iā€™ve invested in three companies via the Seedrā€™s platform. Post the closure of each funding round we shareholders still have a private set of company pages that contain the pitch information & docā€™s, EIS paperwork, company updates and a discussion board/forum. This appears to remain open to us for each company for as long as we are still shareholders, but as far as I can tell they are closed/private groups.

I hope that this helps
Matt

2 Likes