Tesla is "no longer investable" due to Elon Musk

I guess that makes a bit more sense now..

2 Likes

image https://media.makeameme.org/created/1-billion.jpg

1 Like

I canā€™t find another newspaper thatā€™s covered this (so sorry bout the paywall) but the title says it all really..

Investors think Muskā€™s Tesla made another pot joke

Electric car company sold debt with a minimum investment set at $420,000

1 Like

I would still personally invest in Tesla ESPECIALLY with Musk at the helm. Yes heā€™s different, spontanous and sometimes downright troublesome but he connects with younger generations on a level that frankly, no other CEO does. The fact he has such a presence on Twitter where he can tweet stuff related to anime while also posting pictures of space exploration and receiving huge respect and admiration is brilliant and second to none.

The best part is, he doesnā€™t do it for attention and I donā€™t believe he has ever done anything as a ā€˜stuntā€™. Heā€™s raw and rough around the edges and most of all, heā€™s genuine.

A genuine person who makes screw ups who bets big and all of their personal wealth on a brighter future tells me all I need to know.

P.S Even recently he spoke to TFUE (Twitch streamer) about buying a Tesla and that interaction received millions of eyes. Young eyes, eyes like mine and others who look at a Tesla the same way some people who donā€™t like watches look at the Apple Watch.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t invest, not because of Musk, but because I canā€™t see the justification for them having a market cap bigger than Ford and GM who sell millions of cars per year

2 Likes

I think I would invest at a lower market cap (i.e. if they go down in price a bit), though itā€™s far from a sure thing, for these reasons:

• Electric cars are the future - Tesla have a head start on batteries, charging network, software
  • Self-driving cars are the future - Tesla are collecting huge amounts of data there, and the software for it
  • Software will eat the world - Musk sees this, in a way that GM and Ford never will
  • Robotics and additive manufacturing is going to take over - Musk sees this, in a way that GM and Ford donā€™t
  • Theyā€™ve bypassed dealers, will be interesting to see how that works out, but it could work well
  • Musk is very good at selling a grand dream and inspiring employees to excel (even at their own personal cost), and customers to buy the dream - reminds me of Jobs in that respect

Downsides are lack of cash (probably no longer a problem), crazy experiments in manufacturing, lack of experience.

Iā€™m not sure their current market cap is justified and was waiting for a bit more value before investing, but I do think they have the potential to grow to a very large transport company.

3 Likes

There is potential, But too much of it is already priced in and Iā€™m not convinced theyā€™ll realise all of it

They need to become one of the biggest most successful companies in the world to justify the price they are at now

Incidentally Ford reckon theyā€™ll have 40 Hybrid or full Electric models by 2022

2 Likes

I would definitely like to own some shares of Tesla. I also like Elon Musk on the whole.

I, too, agree that electric cars, autonomous cars, everything Tesla does, is the future.

However, it would be a speculative position because this year was the first ever time they made a profit (I believe). Similarly, I also wouldnā€™t invest unless the price came down a fair bit!

Iā€™d like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I find it hard to believe that he just made a mistake here, after some of his comments after he did the deal with the SEC :sweat_smile: maybe Iā€™m being too cynical?

Musk Faces U.S. Contempt Claim for Violating Accord With SEC - Bloomberg

These are the tweets -

& a few hours later..

so either he made an honest mistake or his lawyers checked the tweets after the fact & told him they werenā€™t ok.

Side note - itā€™s kind of crazy how long this threadā€™s been going, this seems to be happening a lot!

1 Like

That episode of Invested someone linked was really interesting. Great listen.

Edit: Misremembered the show name.

1 Like

Can someone at Tesla not just turn his account off?

1 Like

Noo, itā€™s far too entertaining!

3 Likes

But then we wouldnā€™t see his version of the most disturbing Teletubbies episode ever

5 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tesla security analysis - Q3 2018

Just put the link on a new line. Youā€™ll then get a link preview.

Worth mentioning sometimes a link preview cannot be generated, but this is rare these days. Your link is okay though in my test.

2 Likes

Feel free to send me a message & weā€™ll figure this out together :smile:

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tesla security analysis - Q3 2018

So Muskā€™s response is

In his filing on Monday, Mr Musk conceded that none of his tweets since the settlement through to February had been preapproved by lawyers at Tesla. But his attorneys argued that he had the right to make his own determination about whether his tweets contained material information.

None of his tweets had risen to the level of materiality, and therefore preapproval, Mr Muskā€™s lawyers added. This included the vehicle production tweets last month, which they called ā€œshorthand gloss on and entirely consistent with prior public disclosuresā€.

quotes from the FT

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tesla security analysis - Q3 2018

A Manhattan district judge will decide if Mr Musk is in contempt and whether he should be punished. The SEC said no hearing is necessary on the matter ā€œbecause there appear to be no disputed issues of material fact.ā€

1 Like