The Boring Company

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool, but I can’t see how it would be any faster for large volumes of traffic

It would really want to be moving a train rather than an individual car

1 Like

I do want one that leads into my garage though :smiley:

1 Like

There’s a couple of reasons why it might be quicker..

It transports the vehicles at a faster speed -

The tunnels can be multi-level so there’s a lot more room to add tunnels than there is for roads.

A lot of traffic is caused by poor driving decisions so by eliminating those, you can remove some of the congestion.

They explain some more of the benefits here - https://www.boringcompany.com/faq/.

Trains might be slower because you have to wait for everyone to get onboard at the same time. If you’re sending individual cars, you can send the next ‘sled’ as soon as someone’s ready, which is more convenient too.

4 Likes

I’m just imagining massive queues to get into the tunnel. Getting in and out would be the bottleneck. Not much point travelling somewhere at 200mph if it takes you an hour to get out of the car

1 Like

In order for it to be able to cope at peak times you would need loads of tunnels that would be barely used off peak

1 Like

Those points are addressed in the link :grin:

I think the whole thing is amazing, Elon excels at coming up with ideas so far outside the box that he probably is unaware the box exists.

Who knows if it will eventually be a commercial success but he needs to be applauded for having the vision in the first place

2 Likes

And there are no cyclicts in the way :wink:

4 Likes

Seems counter intuitive to have this and autonomous driving both of which would ease congestion.

Elon hedging his bets haha.

Super fast long distance ground travel is very interesting though. Getting from California to NY in a like 2 hours sounds sick.

2 Likes

If you built a tunnel from NY to Cali you could probably build a private island from the wastes as well :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s a couple of very to fairly critical pieces about The Boring Company’s prospects.

https://humantransit.org/2018/12/elon-musks-tunnel-it-doesnt-scale-so-it-doesnt-matter.html

Despite what the first story says, Musk does have a history of doing the maths & spotting opportunities to do the ‘impossible’. I can imagine people making similar comments about rockets being too expensive / impossible to build privately, when he started Space X. So I’m not giving up hope yet..

Space X is cool and seems to be a success, winning contracts from Nasa etc. But he does also have a large number of ideas that have gone nowhere and I think this tunnel might be one of them…

It might be a pipe dream (pardon the pun), but this would be awesome for London too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Full disclosure: I don’t own any shares but I do have a Boring Company hat

New $120m funding :unicorn:

New dosh including from Tesla and SpaceX backers—25 July 2019 by Bloomberg:

Elon Musk’s Boring Co. has raised its first outside investment to fund development of tunnel-based transportation systems.
The company authorized the sale of $120 million in stock, according to a securities filing that was obtained by the Prime Unicorn Index, a company that tracks the performance of private U.S. companies, and reviewed by Bloomberg News. The investment is in addition to the $113 million the company raised last year.
“We are delighted to be an investor in Boring,” said Steve Jurvetson, a venture capitalist with Future Ventures and a director on the boards of Musk’s Tesla Inc. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp. “Boring is a great example of the disruptive playbook we look for.”

“Lots of boring jobs”

Hiring in Vegas:

“Come work with us in Las Vegas – lots of boring jobs available!” the tunneling startup’s Twitter account posted. Musk then retweeted the message to give it a bit more reach among his 27 million or so followers.

In May, Boring won its first commercial transportation contract, a $48.7 million mile-long project to shuttle visitors around the Las Vegas Convention Center. The project will provide an important test of whether it can really dig more cheaply than competitors and navigate the government bureaucracy involved in municipal projects.

“The four-largest tunnel companies in the U.S. were founded in the 1800s,” Jurvetson said. “Like the automotive and aerospace sectors, they haven’t faced a disruptive new entrant in their management’s collective life-time.”

They have crazy fans

1 Like