Trading 212

@Diversify That slider for fractional shares is very nice :ok_hand:

2 Likes

On a similar note, requesting an addition of a new stock or ETF’s in Trading 212 is very simple, once a request is made they have added that stock or ETF’s with in 5min up to 3days which is due to stock market weekend closure.

And the best part is If for any reason your request couldn’t be added to the platform they will write you the reason for not adding at the time.

6 Likes

Really? I can see quite a lot that don’t have any replies.

@dk1 true, and well said.

For starters I’m not representing Trading212, my comments earlier were my experience with them as a trading platform, I do not wish to compare Trading212 with Freetrade.

As for Trading212 If you go through my previous note, I can recall I mentioned earlier in my post it can take upto 3days for a stock to be added to their universe as for market are closed on weekend.

Again no one is perfect.

1 Like

They do also seem to be adding fractional shares at a very fast rate. Added a load more today including several big US companies like JP Morgan and AT&T among others. As others have mentioned, they seem to add new stocks from requests very quickly. I have to say I’m very tempted to switch. Freetrade seems to be a long way behind, sadly.

I know we keep hearing about the Invest platform being the big change for more US stocks and fractional shares, but updates seem very rare and are are generally very vague ‘In a few months time’, ‘Early in the year’ which don’t really mean anything much.

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Freetrade’s platform has launched: Sign up to the Invest by Freetrade closed beta :calling:

As soon as I am on the Invest platform with fractionals I’ll be moving everything across to FT. Looking forward to it!

10 Likes

How long have Trading212 been around? Is it comparable to Freetrade?

I don’t like the flow of their app, I am impressed though with the range of securities from other countries and the fact that they ask the currency of your portfolio.

Right now they feel superior in terms of specs. I hope Freetrade will soon catch up. However the flow of the Freetrade app is far simpler and nicer IMO

7 Likes

They are a much more established company, rather than a startup like freetrade which still needs crowdfunding. I think their app is ok - could be better but manageable. They also have free instant trades and no isa fees. Despite being with Freetrade very early on, user four hundred and something, I’m try to work out if there are any real reasons to stick with it, sadly.

7 Likes

If they don’t charge for trades and ISA, how do they make their revenue (aside from the CFDs side of business)? They don’t feel very transparent.

Also, IMO their portfolio section is a bit single minded, cannot see historic performance of portfolio (unless I am blind!)

Freetrade has a long way to go but feels to me like a more investment focus platform, which covers my needs as a long term investor. Obviously that is just my opinion and your goals may differ :innocent:

6 Likes

They make it from CFDs and leverage I would assume.

Which means people are losing enough money doing it to satisfy the other sides of the business. Great I’d you’re a disciplined investor - and don’t mind a crappier looking app.

2 Likes

I’ve been highly critical of T212 in the past, but in the last few months especially they have made a massive turnaround.

It’s disingenuous to compare how you feel FreeTrade will be in the future to how Trading 212 is right now.

All things being equal, from a consumer perspective, FreeTrade has its work cut out. I say this as a user of both platforms.

FreeTrade still has much greater community support, and I’d wager there will be quite a few nice surprises for us coming up. But T212 aren’t sitting on their hands either

6 Likes

Agreed. I remember checking out T212 when I first became interested in Freetrade over a year ago but wasn’t impressed. They have really upped heir game. Their app is ok, but could be better but for me it’s perfectly serviceable, plus they already have browser based versions for PC and iPad which is a big thing for me personally.

Freetrade’s big selling point was that it was unique in offering commission free trades in the U.K. with things like fractional in the pipeline. Now T212 are well ahead of them, plus there will be a lot of other companies entering this market such as Robinhood. I love the Freetrade guys and the app, but as a startup I’m worried they are simply going to be suffocated by larger existing companies already ahead of them in terms of functionality.

4 Likes

I’ve heard this argument on the Starling forum and on the Monzo forum re their offerings.

“They’re bigger”.

“They’ve got unlimited money”,

“This service is better”,

“The competitors, they’ll catch up”

Freetrade has achieved what the big boys can do in a couple of years. Imagine what they could do in the 15 years T212 has been running.

Don’t panic.

10 Likes

We can’t say what future holds, I hope FT makes it big and I get my money back.
What I can do is compare both platforms based on features that exist now and I’m not happy with the pace of FT.

I recall FT moving to serverless etc which end user doesn’t really care but it should in theory help them to scale based on load. And I read message about moving processing of basic orders to 3pm :confused:

My friend who is also investor in FT prefers T212 :no_mouth:

6 Likes

Money back? We’re going to the moon :rocket:

3 Likes

like TSLA at $4000 with million robotaxis :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, and those are very pertinent arguments. Having more money and being bigger are extremely important, particularly as more and more established companies enter the market.

It’s not a question of competitors catching up - they’re already ahead of Freetrade and that’s the problem. From being in a position about a year ago of marketing themselves as the only transaction-free UK broker and the only one who will have fractional shares, Freetrade now doesn’t seem to have any USP in my eyes. They’ve been overtaken by others and when being fee-free and offering fractionals etc becomes the norm, it’s going to be much harder to compete when you haven’t got the marketing budget and large established brand and user base.

Having a USP is great and is a big advantage - but in any market it only ever lasts for a limited amount of time. There will always be competitors coming along and eventually your amazing USP which caused a lot of excitement eventually becomes industry-standard. In that short window where you have an advantage you’d better grow and improve massively or you’re in trouble when the big boys come around as they surely will.

4 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: The Basic Order execution time moved to 3 PM. Give us feedback!

The old saying that “if something is too good to be true” applies here.

I gave it a shot because I had an invite link, but the spreads they’re charging are insanity.

I went back to :freetrade: like a boomerang.

4 Likes