Vanguard S&P 500 ETF - VUSA

US rate of inflation not as high as expected. I think that’s why everything went up

1 Like

“Historically, the S&P has a tendency to find a bottom before a recession and when earnings estimates decline. Additionally, inflation seems to have peaked. The last four Consumer Price Index (CPI) releases have seen declines. Moreover, the latest comments from Federal Reserve members indicate that they may be slowing the pace of rate hikes sooner rather than later. This has led many analysts to assume that rate hikes could stop at a lower rate than previously anticipated.”

Anybody else sharing the same sentiment?

1 Like

Buying both of these more heavily during the larger downturns seems adequate. Again, the money has been made on the current energy narrative and tech sell-off, so again you are in an unchartered narrative again which means possibly the indexes will prove the better buy over the next 5 years yet also so could the individual stock picking?

Hypothetically any general narrative is in play now, Australian mining companies might do awesomely well along with American high end fashion names… find that medium term upward narrative and watch it play out.

I’ve liked an equal weight S&P 500 fund the past 3 months and see that as something I’d hold for a decade - along with buying into a maximum of 4 funds.

Nobody knows if an index will do great a year from now. If anything you’d want it to do poorly to give you more time to accumulate a £30,000 - £100,000 position in that said index.

1 Like

Great insights and very well said. AUX is a dividend mine as well, so dividend investors could get in on that too.

I started investing late December last year and I have created a small and varied portfolio including a few shares of the S&P500 and am analysing my overall results over the last year. I understand that stock portfolios are expected to make 10% year on year (according to online trading journalist’s) but I also know this isn’t an ordinary year. Would others consider the S&P500 to be a good comparison for my own portfolio? This seems sensible to me but If not would anyone be able to suggest a good comparison method?

Hi,
If you exclusively invest in US stocks, the SP500 is a good benchmark. If it’s more international, the MSCI world is likely a better benchmark.

Stock market returns are 10% on average, not every year. This means most years look more like +35% followed by -20% and so on. Extreme results that average to ca. 10% over a long time.

3 Likes

Anyone else waiting on their March 23 payout? I normally get my dividends paid on the 30th looking back on freetrade but not this year :expressionless:

Wasnt even aware their was one due this month nothing came up on stock events.

Yep there is, they pay quarterly. Last few years I have always got the payment on the 30th March looking back on my Freetrade activity (which is a day after payment (29th) from etf).

Yeah my bad yes we are to early in the morning. Pay date was the 29th so give it 5 days

I understand the 5 days nonsense they say but last 2 years has been the 30th, so that is why I was asking if anyone that is invested has received payment yet. I have £30k in VUSA so want the money quicker!

As you can see on your picture the pay date for 2023 isnt the 23rd, just going to have to be patient as its only been 24 hours so far. Entering day 2 now but freetrade can take up to 5 days

Like Lee, I didn’t need or ask to have someone say be patience, that is obvious.

What I was asking and the reason for my initial post was to see if anyone else has received their March 23 dividends.

No i havent received mine

1 Like

Not received mine.

1 Like

Vanguard themselves usually pay out for me on their ETFs about a week after the pay date, so if FT typically get round to it within 1 or 2 days that’s good service in my opinion.

1 Like

anyone been paid VUSA dividends this july ?

Not for this one. I did receive for another Vanguard ETF, VHYL which is odd, considering they both had the same dates for ex and pay.

By the way, you meant VUSA?

Not for me yet,…still waiting. Hopefully it will be today.

1 Like

Sorry yes meant VUSA (I did receive VHYL however few days back, so did my partner)

1 Like