We're updating our terms - Securities Lending

I can’t see ‘$GME fanatics’ and woke politics, also known as progressive politics being connected.

Many in the progressive sphere of political thought would see any stock market investor as financially privileged, which I agree with them, we are.

It doesn’t matter which tickers you buy or don’t buy, were all financially privileged in comparison to those living hand to mouth.

2 Likes

According to the strict legal definition you are not the legal owner of the shares. This was tested in a legal case sometime ago (Duck duck go’ing will help you with the case and details here). Your shares are held in a nominee account.

You are however the beneficial owner of the shares. This is what entitles you to the dividend etc.

2 Likes

I pay for my ISA, my SIPP and Plus.

Is the business model so wrong that FT now need to increase revenue differently?

FT costs me enough without my account then being used as the ‘product’. Shame on you. What’s next, pfof?

5 Likes

Your ISA is free with :freetrade: :plus_: so your total cost to have your investments looked after if ÂŁ19.99 a month. HL for example would be ÂŁ11.95 per trade + platform fees

PFOF is illegal in the UK

It wasn’t so long ago someone senior at FT posted his purchase of a ‘meme’ stock saying F you hedge funds. And yet here we are looking to let them sell our investments short.

4 Likes

@apollo

Plus that’s rather offensive saying I shouldn’t be investing.

I chose FT because they didn’t lend out shares and ‘were’ retail focussed.

The majority replying here are more than likely FT shareholders.

3 Likes

Adding on to what @Viktor shared above, it’s worth taking a look at some of the market data and information explaining the securities lending market on the International share lending association’s website.

There’s a great explainer video there too.

As of December 2021, about 1/4 of all securities loaned globally are loaned by pension funds. Another c. 20% are lent by collective investment vehicles (i.e. funds).

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply and I’m sorry if I caused any discomfort with any of my posts in this topic.

Although you are not wrong, the fact that FT didn’t lend your shares was a selling point, it was a benefit they had over competetors (competetors that had a wider variety of securities, offered more features, etc)

To me, this says that FTs vision of 2018-2019 has turned out not to be possible after all, and so they have to be more like everyone else to survive, which isn’t inherantly bad, it just erodes the benefits of choosing FT over other brokers. The main response from FT seems to be “it’s normal” and “everyone else does it”, which is true, but they used to be very proud of the fact that they didn’t.

13 Likes

So there’s no advantage for us to agree to this.

What happens if we opt-out? There doesnt seem to be any reason for us to opt-in. Or, are you telling us rather than asking us? The pages on this don’t say

The FAQ has the question “Do I have to agree to securities lending” and then
 never answers the question.

Do I have to agree to securities lending?

We’re asking all Freetrade customers to provide their consent to allow us to lend the securities they hold. It’s an important evolution in our business and one that means we can continue to offer our customers a low-cost, simple way to invest.

My post is a bit critical
 but Freetrade seem to be avoiding giving a clear answer on what happens if we dont agree, and if you’re forcing us to agree or have our accounts closed?

This seems to be answer the question.

Could we have a clear definitive/official answer? If we do not agree to securities lending, our accounts (exc. ISA) will be closed?

I’m not necessarily against the idea, but I don’t understand why the official communication on this is trying to avoid accuate details on what happens if we dont agree.

12 Likes

The benefit to customers is that you can continue to use the sharedealing services.

Vague benefit perhaps but the business is currently loss making, so this sort of change comes as no surprise to me. They’re a business, with shareholders, and want to make money.

1 Like

I understand that shorting stocks is an essential part of keeping the market stable. If I understand correctly, lending shares maintains stable share prices and is essential to us all here having a market that does not fly off the rails.

Do I understand correctly and can others expand on this?

There’s quite a bit of discussion in this thread and I linked a couple of papers that demonstrate the benefits of short selling by analysing what happens when short selling is banned.

But basically markets get less efficient, price discovery is slower, liquidity is reduced and prices are not supported in the long term.

6 Likes

This is kind of the point though, there was a post in june 2018 saying the european expansion would be “soon”, then there were no features for a year because they were rebuilding their backend, new stock additions slowed down, etc. But a lot of people were fine with it, after all, freetrade weren’t making revenue from lending shares, offering CFDs etc, so it was understandable. With this, they will need to seriously step up otherwise they will end up just the same or worse than their competetors.

I don’t think it’s fair to paint anyone concerned about this as a “woke GME fanatic”. I understand that this forum has a bit of a problem with anyone saying anything negative about Freetrade, but that really is too far.

11 Likes

Thank you @Cameron some of the documents won’t work on my phone but interesting discussions.

I was going to start another thread asking why the markets dip so much with bad news but maybe you have answered my question. Is it that short positions being cashed in causes the dips, that then allow us long-haulers an opportunity to invest and make our gains on the rebound - and is it that our investments make the corrections?

Curious to know how much resource/overhrad this will take to manage on a realtime basis - how much is automated or is it all manually approved and controlled?

https://www.drivewealth.com/news-page/drivewealth-welcomes-charles-vesce-and-frank-ferrara-to-securities-lending-team

So US should be doable.

Just to check my complete ISA stock portfolio will not be part of this?

Yes exactly