We're updating our terms - Securities Lending

Hi everyone,

In the coming days, we’ll be updating our terms and conditions to include a new section on securities lending.

In line with our goal to build a sustainable business, securities lending will provide Freetrade with a new and stable revenue stream, allowing us to keep our fees low, and to continue to improve our product and services as we scale.

We’ve just posted a short blog outlining the changes.

We’ve also published a landing page where you can learn more about securities lending.

As always, please do put any questions you might have here and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!

Alex

Important information:

When you invest your capital is at risk, the value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than what you invest. With securities sending there is a risk of loss should the borrower default before the securities are returned, and due to market movements the value of collateral held has fallen and/or the value of the securities on loan has risen.

7 Likes

Hi there,

Can we decline?

Thanks

13 Likes

Oh my…

4 Likes

In the coming days, you’ll get a push notification with more details and a form to provide your consent. This will include our updated terms and risk disclosures.

There is a grace period ending on 1 June 2022 during which we must get your consent, and throughout this period you will see a banner on your portfolio screen as a reminder.

1 Like

Will those who consent get a share of the income from lending their shares?
@adam had mentioned this on several AMAs

22 Likes

I think this is relatively reasonable. It’s worth noting that this applies to Sipps and GIAs but not Isas.

It would be good to have some sort of opt-out, with other brokers you can pay a little more to opt-out, for example, perhaps the option could be an incentive to sign up for plus? :thinking:

2 Likes

Why would anyone opt in if there are no advantages to the user but there is risk involved?

Am I missing something?

34 Likes

My thoughts exactly. We can opt-in and get … nothing for it but a small risk. Freetrade gets … extra money, I guess?

I mean, this is not giving me good feels.

16 Likes

Brace yourself for rage in the AMC and GME threads :laughing:

7 Likes

the Securities lending page asks for a password

Should t my shares earn me money?

5 Likes

I think this needs an element of rage across all the threads! There was previously a mention of the benefit being shared with users and there’s no mention of opting out.
Freetrade have been pretty poor in terms of communication recently and this isn’t helping…

21 Likes

That’s why I wanted to look at the Securities lending page to see if there was anything there about those points, but it’s password protected

Also I think it would have been better if the thread title mentioned Securities Lending, as I think some people just ignore updates in terms, so you have a point regarding communication

5 Likes

People - personally I see no serious problem. Freetrade rightly and correctly warns us that there is a risk and advises what measures it takes to mitigate those risks.

Personally I wouldn’t make this a storm in a tea-cup. If you are unhappy then it really is very clear: don’t accept the T&C’s and therefore find yourself another broker.

14 Likes

Yeah, In principle I have no problem with it. I think we knew it as coming if we read the pitch deck at the last crowdfund. Not sure this is the best way to announce it though

2 Likes

They set an expectation with this at a previous AMA around perhaps sharing income from this or other possibilities. If they hadn’t mentioned it before then people would be less annoyed now.

They’ve provided a short blog which hasn’t covered all questions that you’d expect to be asked.

Saying opt in or move on isn’t a good look IMO.

11 Likes

Remember when Adam and Viktor engaged with the community and would jump in at moments like this? That was a nice time.

31 Likes

Great to see Freetrade expanding their revenues options.

11 Likes

The link opened ok for me from the page linked in the OP

Yeah it does now, it didn’t earlier

1 Like