We're updating our terms - Securities Lending

Should we be looking at this as a positive?

Freetrade management are ensuring that fees and charges remain low or free.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Besides, I thought every single one of us was a shareholder, and were busy doing high-fives when Freetrade attracted 1 million users.
Increased revenues is good for the bottom line of the company - keeps your fees extremely low, and hopefully boosts share price of Freetrade.

Well in guys. I am all for it.

25 Likes

Agreed. I donā€™t like the risk element, but nothing is free, and as a shareholder, this is overall good. Will increase revenue and make the ISA offering more attractive.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s something weā€™d love to do in the future, for those on a higher-tier subscription plan. But itā€™s not part of the initial rollout.

26 Likes

Thatā€™s a great way to think about it.

Revenue solves all known problems.

20 Likes

You are a legend Viktor.
Now get back to workā€¦make more revenue, roll out across the whole of Europe etc.
Lolz

3 Likes

We both read and comment on the forum.

We have a large, talented team in place now, so we probably should let them answer some questions, too! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Weā€™re all over it.

6 Likes

Extremely glad to hear that Viktor.
Any cheeky snippets of info you care to let go of regarding timing of said rollout across the entirety of Europe?

1 Like

The PR team would probably kill me if I did!

15 Likes

Your death at the hands of the PR team would be remembered here forever if you just let slip any news about the LISA rollout.

8 Likes

Since this applies to Uk shares which arenā€™t fractional, does this stop this feature being implemented in the future. As I would like to see fractional shares for etfs listed on lse

I think its a positive product development for Freetrade. Well done!

1 Like

I donā€™t care, I donā€™t invest in meme stocks hoping for a short squeeze. Someone always takes the other side of any trade. When you buy shares you are basically hoping the other guy sold them too soon and is going to miss on gains.

Edit: also it wasnā€™t me that flagged your post. I donā€™t know why people do that, it wasnā€™t offensive or insulting :thinking:

Another edit: heā€™s gone and Iā€™m talking to myself again, was it you know who? :rofl:

8 Likes

It will not.

Iā€™m confused. Would this help Freetrade maintain current fees or further reduce? Any changes in FX rates?

1 Like

Youā€™d raise a statue for me Iā€™m sure.

We are actively analysing how we can get LISA and JISA in Freetrade. There are Freetraders who themselves want to transfer their LISA from other provider, so the motivation is there!

23 Likes

Thank you Viktor! I will moo loudly in your honour after work.

Update: I did the moo. It was very loud. It echoed around the land.

25 Likes

Iā€™m all for Freetrade attaining additional revenue streams, but is there any scope for opting out of this without me having to switch brokers as I have been happy up to now with the Freetrade service.

I understand that security lending doesnā€™t apply to ISA accounts, but I do not want to lend out my shares in my GIA or SIPP either. I have been happy so far paying monthly for my Plus account and SIPP. My wife also has a Plus account and I was thinking of transferring her SIPP over to Freetrade, but if security lending is compulsory, then regrettably I will be switching providers.

15 Likes

So, let me get this straight. By definition, any shares that I buy using Freetrade are shares that I hope will rise in value (price and any associated dividends) and provide a return. You now want me to agree that you can lend my shares to institutions that want to bet against the companies Iā€™ve invested in, driving down their share prices and creating negative perceptions of my investment.

I see that Freetrade representatives have been active on this thread. Can someone articulate why lending my shares to people who want to short my long investments is of benefit to me?

30 Likes

Anyone who holds an ETF is most likely already participating in securities lending, itā€™s one of the methods they use to keep the annual cost down.

10 Likes