We're updating our terms - Securities Lending

Can you share with us why you are against it?

Either here, or in DM if you are more comfortable with that.

7 Likes

ā€œBetting against companiesā€ is only one use case for borrowers. Securities lending is a normal feature of the capital markets, used by many participants for various reasons, e.g. by market makers. Check out: Securities lending

Fundamentally, the benefit to you is indirect: we get to make more revenue, so we can continue providing you with a reliable service and an improving product.

21 Likes

@Viktor Iā€™m going to repeat my question because maybe you havenā€™t seen :point_down:

2 Likes

Realistically, if you are investing in good companies with good growth prospects or decent profits Institutions are unlikely to try to drive them down by shorting, because thatā€™s a sure fire way to lose money. Markets tend to rise over the long term so on average the short side is the wrong side of the trade. Itā€™s only an issue if you are betting on companies that are already in trouble

5 Likes

Thanks for your response, Viktor. I am well aware that securities lending is a ā€˜normalā€™ feature of the capital markets.

Perhaps I should ask a different question: ā€˜Can you describe a way that stock lending can increase the value of a security?ā€™

2 Likes

Its purpose is not to increase the value of a security. As you can read on the webpage though, as an example, some brokers (known as market makers) support day-to-day trading on the London Stock Exchange and they will frequently borrow shares to be able to continuously quote two-way prices. You, as an investor, would at least indirectly benefit from that.

5 Likes

@Viktor I tagged you and you didnā€™t answer my question. There is any problem with my question?

I hope this is not a case of discrimination.

Maybe theyā€™re looking for additional revenue as the current model is not paying off.

1 Like

Thanks again, Viktor, for your quick response. My point is exactly that lending my shares does not contribute to the increase in value that I hope to achieve. If my shares are lent to market makers, this increases market supply. While I appreciate that market makers play an important role at times when I want to buy or sell, when I want to hold, I actively want demand for my shares to outstrip supply.

Though this is a very nuanced debate, Iā€™m sure you can appreciate that there is a strong argument that most Freetrade investors would not benefit from the risks of share lending (depressed pricing via short-selling, increased market supply, risk of failures to deliver) other than the possibility that increased revenue may help Freetrade deliver greater value in the future.

While Iā€™m all for supporting the company, I would rather pay a higher level of fees (I already pay Ā£9.99 a month) to ensure that my provider isnā€™t contributing to any activity that could undermine the value of my investments.

21 Likes

Can someone explain what risk if any there would be to a user from this? if freetrade is making a profit lending out my shares and something goes wrong I would expect them to face the blowback not me.

4 Likes

Why bring discrimination into it? Poor card to pull.

23 Likes

I agree with Alanā€™s viewpoint. I would be willing to pay a little bit more to opt out of securities lending if necessary.

There must be a favourable middle ground solution for this where users can opt out of share lending surely.

11 Likes

This is an industry norm. Many big fund managers do it, how do you think hedge funds are able to short in the first place, they lend from big fund managers. The hedge funds take all the risk, they offset this with othet collateral. Risk here is neglible for every day investor and will sustain freetrade finances.

3 Likes

FT have not announced changes to fees, FX or otherwise.

I feel that if they were to announce changes today, that information would have been provided.

4 Likes

What is the direct risk to you ?

We have no plans to decrease fees. It will help us deliver you a low-cost service.

5 Likes

What if we dont consent to this?

1 Like

What would be the point in not consenting, other than the small risk? Okay, I get the argument that having more shares on the market may devalue a share slightly, but as long as those stocks are being shorted across the marketplace, an opt out wouldnā€™t protect you one jot.

2 Likes

No guarantees in getting the stock back from the borrower if they go under. Collateral is collateral until it isnā€™t. What happens in this circumstance where Freetrade cannot locate the stock? Do I just get reimbursed the value in which I initially purchased it?

• I can opt out of stock lending with IBKR.
  • HL doesnā€™t do stock lending.

I am sure stock lending will be perfectly ok for a lot of customers; I am not arguing to abandon the idea entirely. Itā€™s a great revenue stream. It would just be great if Freetrade could do what T212 couldnā€™t and provide an option to opt out of this for non-ISA accounts, even if that means paying an additional fee for the privilege.

5 Likes

The collateral doesnā€™t disappear if the borrower goes under. If the borrower does go under I imagine FT will sell the collateral and return you the cash or use the collateral to buy back the stock. FT say they will only lend to the largest banks. The risks of larger banks failing is lower since the GFC due to solvency rules.

I agree with you that there should be an ability to opt out. Iā€™d like to see Plus customers receive income from any shares lent. I hope this ā€œfeatureā€ doesnā€™t take years to implement.

6 Likes