What are people's ideas for side hustles?

Next time you are in a supermarket have a look and go through the pay as you go mobile phone sim cards.

If you do find one with a memorable number ie 07 999 888ā€¦ or 07 123456ā€¦ ect then its worth some money.

They are highly desirable, the more numbers that match ie 5 or more with the same digits the better.

Each sim card only cost between 79 to 99 pence and I have sold them on Ebay for between Ā£4 to Ā£40.

Makes shopping more interesting.

Have a nice day!

21 Likes

Football refereeing is one idea. I make some extra cash through this and it all goes into my investments. Good fun and keeps you fit too!

5 Likes

Buy tickets you know will sell out immediately (concerts, sports events etc) and then sell them online a few weeks before the event.

At one point in uni, my roommate and I had half our dorm logging into Ticketmaster at 10am every Saturday as that is when the big shows got released.

Best spread I ever got was for some Red Hot Chili Peppers floor tix at Madison Square Gardens. Some guy paid an absolute fortune for them a week before the concert. Iā€™m sure it was an inconsequential amount for him.

Disclaimer: not sure what the laws are like in the UK for this.

8 Likes

Develop a zero fee platform and turn it into a multi billion business :sunny:ā€¦side hustle!

13 Likes

Ticket touting :face_with_raised_eyebrow: not a fan of this tbh and surprised the music and sports industries havenā€™t clamped down on it

18 Likes

Reselling / touting football tickets was clamped down on with specific legislation.

2 Likes

I would never of had money on Adam being a ticket tout! :joy:

4 Likes

Not a fan of ticket touting, although to be honest most of the gigs I go to arenā€™t popular enough to sell out that quick so itā€™s not usually a problem for me.

It can be annoying when you try to get tickets for a big gig and you have to be on the page hitting refresh as if it was a Freetrade crowdfunding round :smiley:

2 Likes

Buy low, sell high.

Gets a bad rap but try getting tickets to a sold out event you didnā€™t plan 6 month in advance and youā€™ll appreciate the service.

1 Like

Well you canā€™t because the touts have all bought them to sell high :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been to gigs that sold out in a few minutes to find touts outside and a fair number of empty seats inside

1 Like

Touting just exploits fans passion. Deservedly gets a bad rep

6 Likes

Hmm, I donā€™t feel anything wrong with ticket touting, isnā€™t that just a business?
Here is a podcast on this looks there are measures against it Why Is the Live-Event Ticket Market So Screwed Up? - Freakonomics

It became more of a problem because they developed bots to buy a lot of tickets instantly, so fans get exploited and need to pay more than the price the artist wanted them to pay

Not a great article, but the title is quite true:

I find it hilarious that people call reselling event tickets immoral. Somehow tickets have special status vs every other good? I havenā€™t done it since university, but I can tell you it was a lot of work, and a fair bit of financial risk, doubt that has changed.

Hereā€™s a good thread I saw recently, I respect the hustle:
https://twitter.com/Austen/status/1131222995962220544

6 Likes

Austenā€™s example was of selling tickets that had gone unsold. Austen put in work to find buyers for the tickets. People got to see the event last minute at reasonable prices. So youā€™re right, not all ticket reselling is immoral.

Preventing people from buying tickets at reasonable prices by being faster than them at buying or using some technological advantage they canā€™t match, and then reselling those tickets at greatly inflated prices is deeply immoral. I find it both sad and disturbing you donā€™t understand that.

If you had the money to buy all the medicine that treats a particular disease (or could buy a controlling interest in the drug company that makes the only cureā€¦), do you understand that it is reprehensible to then resell that medicine at 10 times the original cost?

14 Likes

One the subject of price tags here is podcast about price tags, apparently it was invented in 19th century.

Thereā€™s a massive difference between not being able to see the Chillis and dying of a treatable ailment

Think people are taking this a bit far

Weā€™re about 3 posts away from someone demanding to bring back hanging :joy:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a direct analogy to help see why the former is immoral. Yes the consequences of ticket touting are far less severe than what some drug companies have done, but the thinking behind those actions is the same.

2 Likes