What's your stupidest reason for making an investment?

Or should that be “investment”? Mine is buying Petco because I liked the ticker: WOOF :laughing:
Only a very small amount of money put in though!

10 Likes

Ditto with £WINE, although I’d also started a subscription with them and believed in the concept. Now 277% up, no doubt lockdown etc has helped, and wish I’d gone in properly rather than just a few quid. Ah well.

3 Likes

Devro (DVO)
 “This company makes and sells all the different products that sausage makers need”.

Enough said.

(Up 35% all because of the love of a good sausage)

2 Likes

FOMO.

7 Likes

Hemogenyx Pharmaceuticals PLC, bought on a whim, no research. I don’t really know why I purchased the shares at all which has got be be the dumbest reason going.

Q “Why did you buy them?”
A “I don’t know”

I got in at ÂŁ0.14 per share, got out quickly at ÂŁ0.09 per share and thankful I did as now at under ÂŁ0.02 per share.

4 Likes

KO - because of the dividend

Also partly because even Aldi doesn’t try and copy it

4 Likes

I figured we’d only have to endure one lockdown
boy, was I wrong!

2 Likes

Yerp, then again lockdown 1 was only going to be three weeks, wasn’t it!

Wine and sausages are my favourites so far. Anyone else?

1 Like

TM17 - I liked playing some of their games as a kid. Bought just because. When I realised how large the bid/ask spread was, I stuck a limit sell just above my average price and eventually it sold.
DDDD - I knew nothing about the company really, bought in low, and kept buying the “dip” as it went lower.
VIACA & DISC - bought after the price halved after the Archegos fiasco. Figured they had room to go up from there. I was wrong.

Fortunately all those losses altogether were only double digits, but it’s taught me not to just mindlessly buy something because it’s on sale, but to do some research first.

3 Likes

AML - simply because it was Aston Martin and that it was James bond’s official car! One of my first stocks and has since been through a freefall of the SP as well as both a share split then a reverse stock split.

Special mention goes to AY which I learnt of through a deep dive on here and I love because it is both a green focused company and a dividend payer.

2 Likes

I have a couple and need a couple more :joy: I have a database and in it I have a tab for each letter of the alphabet of stocks. Most are very small amounts I buy when a major dip happens and I buy in. Problem is my OCD hates the fact some letters don’t have an entry so I filled most with even small £5 entries but still need W, X and Z.

Any suggestions :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

MXC - because “everyone” was buying it and FOMO.

Reminds me of “would you jump off a cliff if yo
”

2 Likes

$ZEUS, $ZEN, $ZOO

How does your OCD handle the tabs that have multiple stocks of the same letter?

2 Likes

It is OK with that but what winds me up is when FT send a dividend for “city of london” and I have 2 city of londons, CITY and CLIG, so don’t know which it is. Why don’t they put the ticker on the names?

2 Likes

That’s the title of my autobiography sorted :laughing:

4 Likes

Probably PNPL, seemed like a good idea at the time! Fortunately it was only 24 shares, however I cannot sell them! :laughing:

4 Likes

$WOOF is there for you! And $XRAY

2 Likes

Sorry I should have been clearer, company name not ticker. :+1:

2 Likes

XLNX is pretty solid, IMHO. And the company name starts with X too - Xilinx. It is on a mini peak at the moment though.

2 Likes

:joy: Now I am torn as my OCD wants to fill the gaps but I like buying the big dips, as long as DD says it is viable, unless it is a stock I am 100% committed to long term. I will watch though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like