100k & 10 years... What Would You Do?

Hypothetical…

You have £100k to invest and 10 years to retirement… No other £ additions… what would you do? How would you invest?

4 Likes

I’d probably chuck it in one of Vanguard’s target retirement funds and try to forget about it. With 10 years to retirement, I wouldn’t want to take too much risk, so I’d want a fair chunk in bonds.

7 Likes

If you’re on 100k 10 years from retirement you’re probably more than 10 years from retirement.

6 Likes

So an extra 10 years Jim? What do you suggest?

1 stock? or are you talking strategy?

I’d put it on Berkshire Hathaway if I had to pick one stock only. If a split then add in SMT, IITU, EWI, Visa and GLAD :+1: £16,600 in each.

3 Likes

Many, if not most are probably in this boat today as private pensions are relatively new in popularity.

2 Likes

Invest all in productive assets — innovative high growth founders led companies.

100k portfolio Allocations:

45% in 3D printing company — Desktop metal
15% in robotic company — Berkshire Grey
15% in 3D printing company — Velo3d
15% in 3D printing company — Shapeways
5% in smart glass company — views Inc
5% in renewable energy — Renew energy global

3 Likes

A lot more £ additions :wink:

1 Like

Additions to what£ ? No additions allowed :shushing_face:

1 Like

Take a risk and put it all in Bitcoin

3 Likes

Tricky one really 10 years from retirement most lower the risk

2 Likes

Wow, super risky, I actually hold Bgrey & Velo3D.

1 Like

I’d buy a house/flat within walking distance from a uni and a hospital and let the obscene housing market + rental income do its thing

5 Likes

Good idea but how many of these do you think are available for the £100k? That is pretty prime rental area.

Hi, @Optimisery

Isn’t risky,if you do your company due diligence

1. Desktop metal holds majority of the bender jetting patents for high speed bender jetting. And in order for 3D printing industry to compete with the traditional manufacturing, 3D printing cost must match old techs . Desktop CEO publicly makes statements the production system P-50 will match the cost and outcompete based on the cost of manufacturing. Therefore,I see the patents as taxes on rivals

2. Berkshire Grey has zero debt and control strong robotics patents portfolio. Which means, the company will survive the next ten years and the potential is huge! Berkshire dominating 200 billion dollar TAM

3. Velo3d laser bed Fusion tech is the most advanced and capable LBF technology for mission critical parts/high value parts printing in aviation, semiconductors, machinery etc. Therefore, All the companies manufacturing high value metal parts with complex geometry will lineup to purchase Velo3d laser bed Fusion printers. Plus the patent portfolio is strong.

4. Shapeways is future Amazon of 3D printing. A place for SME’s and the average person on demand 3D printing needs. Shapeways software connects SMEs without 3D printers to global network of on demand 3d printers owned by SMEs.

5. Glass product Total addressable market is one trillion.View Inc holds 1000 smart glass related patents portfolio. I would put £5000 and hope for 30% CAGR for ten years.

6. Renew power is debt ridden renewable energy company with global potential. Yesterday ( 3 Feb 2022) Renew energy shares buybacks announcement signal to me the company executives confidence in executing ten gigawatts projects cross India within four years. I am willing to stake 5% or 5000 in super confidant CEOs

I think Portfolio can generate 30% CAGR for ten years. Do due diligence before investing is important

2 Likes

Got to say I agreed with @Optimisery but your response is very convincing :+1: I’m already in 1,2,3 and 6 but will have a look at 4 and 5. Also, feel a lot better about being in them!

2 Likes

I can understand the pain the current shareholders of the companies I mentioned are going through. But If had 100k to invest in Sipp or ISA account. Averaging down to $5 per share will be my only strategy. And holding shares for 30+ years

I have created freetrade stocks request for shapeways Holdings Inc share to be listed. Please consider voting for shapeways listing in freetrade app

3 Likes

If the 100k is the only provision someone had for their retirement in 10y, that’s either going to suggest a need for caution or a need for growth. So I would start with the appetite for risk and the need for return. And I’d try work out what outcome would create the maximum regret. And then try minimise that outcome.

3 Likes

Venture out of London and they’re everywhere. People still need to live in places like Aberdeen and Shedfield. Nottingham has 2 unis and atleats one massive hospital

Edit: mortgage free rental income is probably the best dividend going so less pressure to sell after 10 years aswell

2 Likes

I’m only thinking of Edinburgh, Exeter, Bath, Bournemouth, Bristol and Cardiff as they are where I know best and £100k wouldn’t buy a house within walking distance unless it needed a serious amount invested in it after buying. Not knocking the idea but unless you happened to live in a area with very low cost housing and the uni + hospital it would be pretty hard to do.

TBH I am surprised you could get a place for that price in Nottingham etc as well but don’t really claim to know. :rofl:

1 Like