Ask your beginners questions here šŸ£

@Louis @anon287192 Thanks for the help guys, I guess Iā€™ll do a bit more reading on the tax rules then. Not sure Iā€™ll end up quite as good as @Vlad though lol!

1 Like

Please do not inflate my ego :sweat_smile:

And yet, just as Louis and Sendu reaffirmed, your understanding of the 2k/11.7k tax implications are correct. The Annual Exemption Allowance (Ā£11,700) and Dividend Allowance (Ā£2,000) are calculated in total from the 6th of April until the 5th of April every year. If you happen to get more than Ā£11,700 or gains in that narrow timeframe before getting the Android ISA, it would certainly be a good problem to have :wink:

1 Like

After all that, last night I managed to persuade a friend to lend me his iPhone, so it looks like Iā€™m all set to use an ISA on Android from the go! Thanks anyway, its good to know as maybe I wonā€™t consider using it next tax year.

4 Likes

Good evening,

Very excited to use this app. My intention is to buy one share of a US company. I have three questions:

1. Your orders are executed at 16:00, so if the price of one share is Ā£100 when I place my order, but at 16:00 the price has moved, what happens?
  2. On Freetrade, am I buying a share or some kind of derivative?
  3. Will I be added to the companyā€™s share register? E.g. if I wanted to attend their AGM, how can I prove I own a share in their company?
1 Like

Either you have allocated enough to cover the price increase and thatā€™s what you pay, or you havenā€™t and it fails.

Yep, proper shares

About AGMs

4 Likes

I was heading in exactly the same direction as you, Leon - then I stumbled upon Freetrade and changed my mind.

1 Like

DEGIRO can lend out your shares to other users, which greatly increases your platform risk.

1 Like

Thank you very helpful on the AGM stuff.

So just to clarify, if I input to buy Ā£100 of a stock trading at Ā£100/share, but at execution time the price increases to Ā£110/share, will:

a. the trade of Ā£100 be executed, meaning Iā€™ve just bought 0.9 of a share, or
b. will I automatically buy Ā£110 so that I have 1 share (assuming I have enough cash in my account)?

Either you have allocated enough to cover the price increase and thatā€™s what you pay

I donā€™t see where you can allocate money in the app to do this.

When you are buying a set of shares and you put that you want to a spend Ā£110. (When you click on buy shares, itā€™s the amount tab)It means that you have allocated that money for the transaction. When you do that and you go to your account tab with all your money, you will see that the Ā£110 has been placed as ā€œreserved cashā€.

From my experiences if the price increases and you have not allocated (reserved cash) that money it will not take any money from your available to invest cash.

2 Likes

Okay I think I understand now. Does this mean it is impossible to buy a fractional amount of shares?

1 Like

At the moment, yes. But theyā€™re working on it

3 Likes

That is currently not possible with Freetrade, however, it is currently on the roadmap

1 Like

If thereā€™s a company someone wants to invest in, in an overlooked Market, is there any way for users to do special requests for a fee or something so information can be transferred onto this app? (if that makes sense)

Do you mean non-LSE, non-NYSE and non-NASDAQ in this scenario?

Yes, like maybe Eastern Europe, India, Russia and Japan/China markets

In this case Iā€™d speculate that one-off additions will be too hard purely because Freetrade will need to partner with a third party firm in each of these respective countries to facilitate the operations. This will likely lead to high immediate costs with limited monetisation potential and thus may be impractical to do :frowning:

That said, once the app will expand as far as EU, Russia, India, Canada or Australia, it will, hopefully, open all of these markets to all of its customers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, what is short selling and can I do that on Freetrade?

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, i am still confused by ā€œsellā€™ share that you donā€™t yet ownā€. Agree think i will leave this to the proā€™s and just continue to buy normal shares

2 Likes

This part simply means you borrow the share youā€™re interested in shorting from someone who does own it; like any loan youā€™d pay them some interest for the privilege of borrowing from them.

Youā€™d immediately sell the borrowed share on the market which would give you cash proceeds today.
When the price drops, you buy the share back from the market (cash outlay tomorrow) so that you can give it back to the person you borrowed it from.

Your profit (loss) = cash proceeds today - cash outlay tomorrow - interest

As @ytsruh said, normal retail investors like us should stick to normal investing

1 Like

The risk with going short is that losses can be infinite, unless a guaranteed stop is used. That is why if you want a bearish position, put options are better. Though generally steer clear of them as well, unless you know what you are doing.